Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best way to boost for lead

spawn2031

Hey guys, just curious as what you guys use in a patch to boost for a solo.  I don't want to change the tone too much (if at all) just really looking for a volume kick, and how much do you guys typically kick it up when you do?

Thanks!

I do it a couple different ways depending on exactly what I want on given song/solo.

1. Old School way. I roll down the volume knob on the guitar for Rhythm tone and bring it up to solo. This ups the gain and volume as I come up.

2. On most patches I have a volume pedal set post amp.  This ups the volume alone without changing the tone, just have to remember to leave some room to go up.

3. Another boost or Distortion pedal that is turned on for solos. I like the boost comp (post or pre) sometimes for a bit of comp along with a boost or maybe something like a dirt pedal with the drive down pretty low and the output up. I think on some of the stuff I want cleaner boost I used a Studio EQ and just turn up the volume on it without really moving the EQ knobs.

4. I have several patches setup just for lead. I usually setup the board so I have Clean, Crunch, Heavy and Lead of very similar amps tones setup in a row for the ABCD buttons. So going to lead just a single button. These usually have a bit more compression and sometimes more delay etc... dialed to those patches. 

As for volume level, I've found my ear is much better at telling me how much rather than an exact measurement but I would guess it's around 3 to 6db more on the leads.

• Upvote 1

I just did this so I'm not sure it will work all the time in different patches but I don't see why it wouldn't. I put the boost comp at the end (in my case, near the end where I had a reverb at the end. Put the comp right before) of my patch and just set the level to 0. Keep the rest the same. That was just enough boost. Darn near perfect. Then just link it to one of the foot switches of you choice. At least this should be a good place to start.

• Upvote 1

Please do not discuss about tone interruption with me, but I simply use different patches.

Same here. I don't always want the same exact tone for a lead as I do for rhythm...in fact most of the time I want something slightly different. Usually punching up the mids just a bit to help it cut through.

Right, that's why I often set the gain of the Mid-Focus EQ at +5dB so I can also cut the highs and lows a bit at the same time. That way I don't get the TONE INTERRUPTION I normally would when switching in an entire new patch. :)

I'm using POD HD with FBV Shortboard. At the very end of the chain, I put FX Model:Studio EQ, FX Type:Pre-EQ, Overall Gain +4db (depending on tone, sometimes slightly different db). For FBV Shortboard, assign it to footswitch 1 (FS1 -corresponds to STOMP button), but save it in the OFF position. That way when you hit STOMP you get that Lead Boost without sacrificing a precious A,B,C or D tone for the bank.

Right, that's why I often set the gain of the Mid-Focus EQ at +5dB so I can also cut the highs and lows a bit at the same time. That way I don't get the TONE INTERRUPTION I normally would when switching in an entire new patch. :)

I did try that exact thing once before thinking that most lead tones I have heard are a bit more mid heavy than their rhythm counterparts.  I could seem to get a good sound to it.  It made it really harsh sounding.

Hey guys, just curious as what you guys use in a patch to boost for a solo.  I don't want to change the tone too much (if at all) just really looking for a volume kick, and how much do you guys typically kick it up when you do?

Thanks!

Here's an idea I have been messing with recently. Don't use a volume pedal block; instead assign the amp model channel volume to the expression pedal; Get all your fx routing in place, all the other FS assignments. Then copy that patch to all four blocks of a bank. Then, set each of patch A,B,C,D to a different max volume on the expression pedal amp channel volume.

Try something like, A  =60%, B = 70%, C = 80%, D= 90%. You could also treat A and B as being 'rhythm' patches, and set more of  the extra FX toggled off, with C & D being lead / boost patches with more FX on. Sometimes you want more than just a volume boost; other times, like you mentioned, you just want the same thing louder.

I am guessing there are better ways to do this, that don't involve patch changes. One, for example, would be to set the expression pedal to your two volumes, rather than making it go 0-100; instead, make it go 65% to 90%, so you can lead boost quickly with a exp slide forward, or slowly with a fade up to louder volumes. I suppose you could also use that to slide from a more 'dry' rhythm patch to a more 'wet' lead patch. Such as increase the mix of various FX all at once to go from 0 to some useable lead tone amount. Maybe 20-30% mix for delay and chorus, maybe add a touch of reverb. Lots of power in the EXP parameter change, vs patch change!

Just gotta be careful to set everything up right so you don't accidentally slide the pedal up and melt your face with intense volume.. Experiment and get the settings dialed in tight.

• Upvote 1

Don't use a volume pedal block; instead assign the amp model channel volume to the expression pedal; 

I did that one for a while and found on the amps it would not turn off all the way sometimes. Just seemed inconsistent. Because of feedback on some patches (Feedback is on purpose on some patches) I need to be able to kill the amp entirely when I'm at a stop. The volume knob just would not do that entirely. So back to the volume pedal. But if you wanted to setup like you mentioned from 60% to a 100% or something that would work. 

I did that one for a while and found on the amps it would not turn off all the way sometimes. Just seemed inconsistent. Because of feedback on some patches (Feedback is on purpose on some patches) I need to be able to kill the amp entirely when I'm at a stop. The volume knob just would not do that entirely. So back to the volume pedal. But if you wanted to setup like you mentioned from 60% to a 100% or something that would work. 

Palico, how are you intentionally introducing feedback into your patches and is it controllable?  I have had my FRFR speakers up as loud as they will go moving my guitar all over the place and right up to the speakers and I can never get feedback.  I would like some from time to time.

I'm use a DT25 amp not a FRFR. And especially with magnetic pickups it's not hard to create, just add enough gain and stand close the amp. It does take enough volume to get there. As for controllable, that is mostly technique with rolling the palm on bridge just right, and really depends on your definition of controllable as well. For me that's a feedback howl of sorts that I can use finger and palm muting to get the sound and then play with the tremolo on the guitar to make the harmonic dive and wobble around a bit. Typically used at the end of the song when my drummer is rolling around going a bit nuts on the drums. 

Jumpered FX loop at end of chain, assign a button, turn up return as required.

After trying many different options, I've found this one works the best for me as well, especially if you are just looking for volume boost and not a change in tone.  I personally use a 0db send and a 6db return on the fx loop.

Boosting for a solo depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you just want a gain increase, then a studio EQ at the end of the signal chain can do that. However, most of the time you want to do more than just increase the volume - you also want to change the tone, distortion, sustain and feel of the guitar.

I use a four-way selection to do this:

Base - no additional effects, good for rhythm and quite leads.

Boost - a gain boost with Studio EQ with little or now EQ change. This just provides additional gain

Channel - a larger gain boost with additional distortion and sustain. Use a distortion effect like Tube Drive or Screamer to set the level of distortion and use the tone controls to get more mid-focus - cuttin the bass to reduce the mud and cutting the highs to reduce the fizz/ice pick

Boost + Channel - turn on both to get even more distortion.

I use this inconjunction with the drive and tone controls of the amp to get four different tones out of the same amp with just two foot switches.

...Just gotta be careful to set everything up right so you don't accidentally slide the pedal up and melt your face with intense volume.. Experiment and get the settings dialed in tight.

I've had to disable volume control on the pedal for all my patches for this very reason. In a party band sometimes the stage has a lot of movement going on with players and fans. The pedal can easily get pushed around by cables or feet.

I'm use a DT25 amp not a FRFR.

Ah, yeah I didnt have a problem with it before when I was using a guitar cab but now with the FRs I cant get it at all.  Its a shame since I play hard rock, I would like to get that controllable feedback back.

I've had to disable volume control on the pedal for all my patches for this very reason. In a party band sometimes the stage has a lot of movement going on with players and fans. The pedal can easily get pushed around by cables or feet.

Lol...no doubt! For that very reason, I've long advocated something analogous to the crash bars that protect the engine on some motorcycles, but that would still allow you to get your foot in there when you need to. Easier said than done, I suppose. :P

I use the control pedal, increasing various parameters as it sweeps forward. Here's a useful process:

1. Create and perfect a patch with your desired rhythm sound.

2. Create and perfect a patch with your desired lead sound.

3. Use those tones to set all the parameters of the sweep of your control pedal from one to the other.

This process makes it simple when setting the ranges of your various pedals, amp tone controls etc.

Another trick I use is to place a pan pedal in front of two separate paths, one empty or with a compressor and the other with a distortion pedal. Then place the amp after the mix section. As you sweep the pedal forward, you are adding in more of the path with the distortion pedal and decreasing the clean path.