Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500X under Windows 10???

ChaserHUN

it should be noted that there are no officially supported drivers at this point...

i'm glad to see that some users have had success with the pod HD's

i'm just adding this information, because there is a post from toneport/pod studio users that are NOT able to use their devices with the current drivers...

if you have one of those and they are important to  you... you should wait for supported drivers.

Well, hope Line6 is working on it, because W10 is almost here

I hope so too, better keep whats working and don't change your computers OS yet or keep a spare computer, with what works, around for a while.

Drivers are not easy to develop.  Hopefully it doesn't take too much effort to test and tweak their existing drivers to work with Windows 10.  I'd rather wait and have it right then waste a bunch of time on something that randomly breaks.

• Upvote 1

As someone who used his last rig for 20+ years, my biggest fear with this new fangled gadgetry is that I will need to upgrade my rig because it no longer operates on my computer. 

I am going to have a hard enough time buying another L6 product because of my issues with the parent company.

But if I have to replace a fully functioning unit because they refuse to keep up with the interoperability --- then the power of the spoken/typed word will have to be unleashed.  

My advice is to stay away from Windows 10 until it's been out for a while.  Let the groundbreakers do their thing first.  That is what I plan to do.  Winodws7 is just fine for me anyway.  I have 7 on my PC and on my laptop.  All of my work computers are on 7.

• Upvote 2

My advice is to stay away from Windows 10 until it's been out for a while.  Let the groundbreakers do their thing first.  That is what I plan to do.  Winodws7 is just fine for me anyway.  I have 7 on my PC and on my laptop.  All of my work computers are on 7.

Good advice. I've been dual booting between 10 and 7 and 10 is far from ready for release IMHO. Windows 7 runs just fine for everything I do and currently Windows 10 breaks some things, not to mention they are developing the bad practice of forcing things on the end user. Not cool.

This brings up one really cool feature of Helix. There really isn't a need for the PC editor, which will be almost identical to what's on the unit. I wish more companies would cut the cord like this.

Does HD Edit work with Linux? If so, a dual boot setup may be the way to ensure future compatibility.

Only Windows and Mac software exist for the HD. Besides, Windows 7 will still be around for a long time.

If I get Helix, I know I'll be one that uses the PC software to edit, despite both being the same or similar, simply because most of the time my attention is already focused on the DAW.

...This brings up one really cool feature of Helix. There really isn't a need for the PC editor, which will be almost identical to what's on the unit. I wish more companies would cut the cord like this....

i do not agree.

pc editor minimizes wear 'n tear of ur unit!

i consider it as "a-must-have" feature :)

I've used my HD500 with Win10 for months now, no issue what so ever. All builds have played nicely with the HD500 driver. 

I noticed yesterday that Monkey updated to a new version, with the only message "windows 10 support". 

(the earlier version also did work tough, but is now officially supported)

I've used my HD500 with Win10 for months now, no issue what so ever. All builds have played nicely with the HD500 driver. 

I noticed yesterday that Monkey updated to a new version, with the only message "windows 10 support". 

(the earlier version also did work tough, but is now officially supported)

Cool. Does your X3 (in your sig) still work with your PC? Reason being, I still have an X3 Pro and UX2.

i do not agree.

pc editor minimizes wear 'n tear of ur unit!

i consider it as "a-must-have" feature :)

I'll probably use the PC editor quite a bit as well.  I agree it could minimize wear 'n tear but I hope the unit is constructed well enough for that to not be an issue.  What I was really getting at is that, with the Helix interface, you don't have to worry about the drivers keeping up with Windows versions.  So X number of years down the road, when Helix is unsupported, I don't need to be too concerned when MS or Apple release new operating systems.

how much tweaking do you guys do ?

A LOT!!! 

I can't speak for others, but I am always involved with multiple projects. 

Sometimes, it's a long-term thing where I can save patches and reuse them over and over (but I still need a PC and EDIT to transfer them in). But other times it is a one-off in the studio and every day working with someone new who needs their own set of sounds. 

• Upvote 2

...So X number of years down the road, when Helix is unsupported, I don't need to be too concerned when MS or Apple release new operating systems....

X/2 number of years down the road, the buttons/motherboard/switches/psu/exp-pedal/-etc-etc-etc of ur helix machine will b probably worn out my friend :)

Minimize wear and tear ???  Wow, how much tweaking do you guys do ?

Actually, I'll never wear it out.  I was just agreeing that having a PC editor could minimize the wear and tear on the switches.  My Vetta II, which was purchased in 2004, still works perfectly and so does my HD500X.  

X/2 number of years down the road, the buttons/motherboard/switches/psu/exp-pedal/-etc-etc-etc of ur helix machine will b probably worn out my friend :)

Possibly, but like I mentioned above, my Vetta II is still working fine.

Wow, you guys must go through a set of strings about every other day...

I'm a slacker when it comes to string changing.  My guitars are lucky to get a new set every 6 months or so.  

I thought I was a slacker changing strings every other month.  Maybe I'm the compulsive one...lol

I don't gig but I play almost every day and I haven't changed the strings on my strat in almost a year, lol. D'Addarios last a long long time. Plus they don't go out of tune much either. Usually I can just pick it up and it sounds great.

Cool. Does your X3 (in your sig) still work with your PC? Reason being, I still have an X3 Pro and UX2.

Actually, I havent tried it  :)

It is connected to my DAW, which is Win8.1. I will probably upgrade to W10 on this as well, but when I know the Firewire is ok (I have a Tascam FW1884 as an audio interface which is Firewire based)

So the X3 is just connected to my DAW, mainly used as a dongle for my Pod Farm. But I occasionally use it for bass (before I bought the bass pack for the HD)

I can try to connect it to my Win10 laptop later, to see if it works  :D

• Upvote 1

I don't gig but I play almost every day and I haven't changed the strings on my strat in almost a year, lol. D'Addarios last a long long time. Plus they don't go out of tune much either. Usually I can just pick it up and it sounds great.

They do last long. A lot longer than a set of Ernie Ball Cobalts; the high E broke in the first day.

I'll usually put a completely fresh set on every few months, but am constantly breaking strings. Fortunately they almost always break at the saddles, so I just unwind some more string and re-clamp it. After a couple of months, they look like they've been through a meat grinder.

• Upvote 1

Actually, I havent tried it  :)

It is connected to my DAW, which is Win8.1. I will probably upgrade to W10 on this as well, but when I know the Firewire is ok (I have a Tascam FW1884 as an audio interface which is Firewire based)

So the X3 is just connected to my DAW, mainly used as a dongle for my Pod Farm. But I occasionally use it for bass (before I bought the bass pack for the HD)

I can try to connect it to my Win10 laptop later, to see if it works  :D

Thanks, I hope it works!

They do last long. A lot longer than a set of Ernie Ball Cobalts; the high E broke in the first day.

I'll usually put a completely fresh set on every few months, but am constantly breaking strings. Fortunately they almost always break at the saddles, so I just unwind some more string and re-clamp it. After a couple of months, they look like they've been through a meat grinder.

I have a set of those Ernie Ball Cobalts in the bag for future use. I was using Ernie Balls before the D'Addario's and if I recall the same string broke on me after a while. After that I replaced the neck, repositioned the tremolo, smoothed out the bridge saddles and cut the nut that came with the neck then finished it up with Nickel Wound XL D'Addario's 10-46. Been good ever since, thankfully 'cause before that the guitar was in bad shape, lol.

Sounds like you need to fix your saddles.  A little bit of sanding or grinding could resolve this.  Strings should rarely break unless there's an underlying cause.

Good idea. I took a micro needle file and lightly filed mine and then wrapped the tip of the file (of course ya have to hold it in place, lol) with extremely fine emery paper and lightly lapped the saddles. Doesn't take much time at all, minutes maybe. Then I took a tooth pick and rubbed a little bit of wax onto the string seats and then took a pencil and filed some graphite onto the wax so it would stick, installed the strings and after set up wiped off any excess. Works great.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like you need to fix your saddles.  A little bit of sanding or grinding could resolve this.  Strings should rarely break unless there's an underlying cause.

Thanks, I hope it works!

I have a set of those Ernie Ball Cobalts in the bag for future use. I was using Ernie Balls before the D'Addario's and if I recall the same string broke on me after a while. After that I replaced the neck, repositioned the tremolo, smoothed out the bridge saddles and cut the nut that came with the neck then finished it up with Nickel Wound XL D'Addario's 10-46. Been good ever since, thankfully 'cause before that the guitar was in bad shape, lol.

Good idea. I took a micro needle file and lightly filed mine and then wrapped the tip of the file (of course ya have to hold it in place, lol) with extremely fine emery paper and lightly lapped the saddles. Doesn't take much time at all, minutes maybe. Then I took a tooth pick and rubbed a little bit of wax onto the string seats and then took a pencil and filed some graphite onto the wax so it would stick, installed the strings and after set up wiped off any excess. Works great.

After I broke the High E with the cobalts, I quickly removed the whole set. Didn't like them very much. They felt ... strange, and had a weird tonal quality to them. Went back to the same strings and gauge you use.

I've always had the strings break at the saddles on an Ibanez Edge for as long as I can remember. I think it's mostly just metal fatigue on the string, because it breaks just before the contact point with the saddle. I did do what you did for the high E saddle once as far as the fine emery paper, and cleaned any gunk off after with rubbing alcohol, but the wax and graphite sounds like an interesting idea. Whenever I remove the bridge I'll clean the knife edges and posts and put a little chapstick on it before putting it back in. Works great.

• Upvote 1

After I broke the High E with the cobalts, I quickly removed the whole set. Didn't like them very much. They felt ... strange, and had a weird tonal quality to them. Went back to the same strings and gauge you use.

I've always had the strings break at the saddles on an Ibanez Edge for as long as I can remember. I think it's mostly just metal fatigue on the string, because it breaks just before the contact point with the saddle. I did do what you did for the high E saddle once as far as the fine emery paper, and cleaned any gunk off after with rubbing alcohol, but the wax and graphite sounds like an interesting idea. Whenever I remove the bridge I'll clean the knife edges and posts and put a little chapstick on it before putting it back in. Works great.

Good point, I suppose the design of the bridge could be a factor when it come to reliability.

I also filed some pencil lead into the nut slots, no wax used there since it will stay in place while working on it. The only reason I used a very thin coating of wax on the saddle grooves was to hold the pencil lead dust in place while I installed the strings otherwise it would just slide off before I could seat the string.

Wow, you guys must go through a set of strings about every other day...

If I am "on the road" or in a studio for a major project, strings get changed quite often. Like after a couple hours of use. But someone does it for me. 

If I am just hanging around, I rarely change strings. Tone comes my fx, I don't need new strings to sound 'purdy'. Especially if they are one of the ones that don't get used often. I have guitars with strings that are a couple years old. 

When I need to do a setup/adjustment/repair. Or if they start to play funny. That is when I will change them. 

Lasting longer from dirt is different than lasting longer from breakage. 

Coated strings will last longer as far as the effects of dirt on tone. But strings break. No amount of wax is going to stop that -- especially, as we suspect, there is a hardware issue.

• Upvote 1

Is there any truth to the rumor that the reason why string life is shorter under Windows 8 ( and presumably will be even shorter under Windows 10 ) is that THE EVIL ONE (Bill Gates) bought controlling interests in all of the world's biggest string manufacturers?

• Upvote 2

Is there any truth to the rumor that the reason why string life is shorter under Windows 8 ( and presumably will be even shorter under Windows 10 ) is that THE EVIL ONE (Bill Gates) bought controlling interests in all of the world's biggest string manufacturers?

I suspected there's a reason to stick with Windows 7. Now I know what it is. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if anyone posted a solution to this issue, this is how I got it to work. My HD500x was not being reconized after I updated to windows 10. I downoaded the latest drivers ran the installer program and still nothing. With the PodHD500x connected I went to device manager. Under usb game controller I saw the PodHD500x. I right clicked the pod and went to the driver tab and updated the driver. I had windows search for the driver and let windows install the driver. The pod now is reconized and the editor works.

Good luck

TS

Not sure if anyone posted a solution to this issue, this is how I got it to work. My HD500x was not being reconized after I updated to windows 10. I downoaded the latest drivers ran the installer program and still nothing. With the PodHD500x connected I went to device manager. Under usb game controller I saw the PodHD500x. I right clicked the pod and went to the driver tab and updated the driver. I had windows search for the driver and let windows install the driver. The pod now is reconized and the editor works.

Good luck

TS

There was a driver update in the meantime, so I guess they addressed the issue.

I still have the driver crashed when using my variax guitar though - very strange.

No chrash with the non-variax guitar.