Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Has any JTV59 owner replaced their entire bridge?

Just wondering if any JTV59 owner has actually replaced their entire bridge assembly with an alternative - and if so which one and how did they do it and did the replacement perform better than the original?   Pictures too would be great. Thanks.

• 4 months later...

Just remember, that Line 6 won't support mods that affect the function of the product.

So any guitar coming to me for servicing has a 50/50 chance of being returned untouched,...

depending on the mod.

Hasn't happened yet with stevekc, have serviced his guitar,... very nice. But then he's

one of about five people in the Americas I trust to do a mod without messing it up. For me,

it's convenient, since he's just up the highway from me.

And edstar1960,... since you're in the UK, you might want to look up Tim Morgan, Shane Blower

or Mark Wright, they are in the midlands around Northampton and Warickshire, and were

the guitar guys when we had Line 6 UK in Rugby. They're mates and they know their stuff

when it comes to Variax and JTV's. They can tell you what works and what doesn't.

psarkissian,
I appreciate you being on here and replying to posts. I get worried if something happens to the 59 I have, what am I going to do.
That is why I'm apprehensive about installing a Bigsby.

Thanks,

Just remember, that Line 6 won't support mods that affect the function of the product.

So any guitar coming to me for servicing has a 50/50 chance of being returned untouched,...

depending on the mod.

Hasn't happened yet with stevekc, have serviced his guitar,... very nice. But then he's

one of about five people in the Americas I trust to do a mod without messing it up. For me,

it's convenient, since he's just up the highway from me.

Thanks psarkissian.

I am not planning on doing the swap just yet - certainly not in the near future - just wanted to know whether it was possible in case I had to do it if I encountered insurmountable issues with my stock bridge.

I met Tim Morgan at the Rugby office couple of years back - he helped me when I had problems with my first JTV59 (one from one of the first batches) and arranged for it to be replaced with the one I currently have. Great guy!  Not sure how I would get hold of him now though as I only had his work contact details.  Worth knowing though.

I'm stay connected with a number of the Rugby bunch on FB and Linkedin.

We trade notes on gear in general every now and then. So maybe one of them

would be helpful when the time comes, I can send one of them your way if

they're available, see what I can do if needed. Being in Los Angeles, it's hard

to coordinate from here.

Thank you for the links stevekc.

Certainly not a job for the faint hearted!    But at least it shows it's possible.   

It wasn't!  I can't tell you how many times I paced back and forth checking and rechecking that drill press.  Measure 500 times, drill once LOL  The warranty was absolutely a concern, but I will say that almost a year later I am still thrilled with it.

My Jtv69 is my main guitar Mostly because of the tuning change ability.  That being said I am very unhappy with the high E string slipping off the fretboard,its worse the higher up the neck. I've adapted my technique to keep it at a minimum but i'm always conscious of it and it does cramp my playing. Sweetwater has looked into it as well as filing a ticket with L6. My Strat, Jackson and others have 3mm+ distance between string and top edge of fret. Is it a neckset/angle issue? very annoying! A tech from Stewmac suggested I slightly loosen the screws and see if the neck angle will shift the retighten it did and it helped slightly.

Help 

psarkissian

Merry Xmas All!

BTW I did file a ticket, Really don't want to return to L6

• 6 years later...

I want to transplant the guts from my Variax standard (Pacifica) into a semi hollow. I know I’ll have to change the bridge from the trem to a tuneomatic type. Suggestions? And is there someone who could do this mod for me? I’m doing it because a shoulder injury makes it hard for me to play the strat body style.

Tone color/EQ will sound different in a different body. All of these Variax guitars are solid body,

so there will be even more difference in tone in a hollow body. And it will have to be a three pick-up

with a 5-way switch, or it won't function the same.

Yes, I know the tone may change a little, that can be compensated for. I'm not planning to use pickups, so that's not really a concern. I'm more interested in what bridge I should use. I can install a tuneomatic pretty easily if need be to replace the trem one if that works.

Yes. Would a ghost bridge plug in or is there one that works? Would a JTV 59 bridge even work? I've had 2 of them, worked great, just didn't like the necks. I've been a line 6 guy since the 300. I also have a 700 acoustic that it seems the low E piezo might be dying. Comes and goes. I'd like to fix it as well.