Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv-59 vs Jtv 89f

Looking to purchase either. What is the real difference between these two? I know 89f has the Floyd. But is the neck easier to play on the 89f than the 59 or our they the same? Are the pickups different? I know they should sound the same in virtual mode but do they? Looking for a Jtv that can play great clean to blues to modern rock. The strat style doesn't do it for me.

These are very different guitars

The JTV-89 is more of Jackson / Ibanez type guitar with Floyd - thinner neck, Fender 25.5 inch scale length 

The JTV-59 is more of a '59 Gibson Les Paul , with thicker neck, shorter Gibson  24.75 inch scale length 

• Upvote 1

So if I'm looking for an ibanez thinner as93 ish style neck and can play great clean (not modern metal guitar brittle) to blues to rock. Would the 89f be the better choice. I played someone's 59. I thought the neck was a little chunky but is sounded good.

So if I'm looking for an ibanez thinner as93 ish style neck and can play great clean (not modern metal guitar brittle) to blues to rock. Would the 89f be the better choice. I played someone's 59. I thought the neck was a little chunky but is sounded good.

You're the only one who knows what you like, and will feel comfortable with. As was already pointed out, they are VERY different animals. If you like a "shredder" style neck, then you want the 89. The 59 is closer to a Les Paul. Some of the alt. tunings on the 89 are different, and geared more towards the modern down-tuned metal stuff in the frequency range that can only be detected by whales, or the seismographs at Cal-Tech. ;)

I think that's what I'll have to do. Like said above I have tried the 59 and the neck felt a little chunky for my hands. Maybe the 89f will have a smaller feel. 69 is not in the picture for purchase. No a fan of center pickups.