Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Flat Mic Option - Vote it up on ideascale!

billlorentzen

The mics used on the cabs change the amp sound so much, I sometimes don't know whether to start with the EQ on the amp or the mic selection when dialing in a sound.

With a flat mic (no added or subtracted EQ or frequencies), you could start out with the sound of the amp in the room, so to speak, just the way you would with an actual amp and dial it in with the tone knobs how you like it, then put on your engineer hat and choose a mic that flatters the amp. Then if necessary add additional EQ.

I'm afraid this idea doesn't get much traction because many people Haven't considered this concept, but I think they would really appreciate it if they could try it.

There are lots of great ideas on ideascale, but this one is absolutely basic and could positively help every player and every choice you make when creating your sounds, so I really think it deserves attention! Vote it up!

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/643613-23508

• Upvote 1

I like the idea, very much in fact.
The only problem I see there is that it'll probably have to wait until they do a major software review because, if I understand the way L6ers work, they study/analyze every cab they model with every singular mic, and most probably, including a new mic option would imply another round with every cab and that hypothetical flat mic... 
As I said, I like it, and would like to see something like that in the future, I just don't see it happening any time soon.
Anyway, we can use IRs now, and the Big Box library includes two Earthworks reference mics that will allow you (and me) to do just what you talk about

Any of the condenser options are going to be pretty flat. Look at the frequency response graph for a Neumann U87, for example. It falls off below 0Hz and there a bump above 5,000Hz, but there's not a ton going on in a typical guitar cab in those ranges, at least not much that you'd want to accentuate.

26325d1162925943-modern-neumann-freq-res

Any of the condenser options are going to be pretty flat. Look at the frequency response graph for a Neumann U87, for example. It falls off below 0Hz and there a bump above 5,000Hz, but there's not a ton going on in a typical guitar cab in those ranges, at least not much that you'd want to accentuate.

26325d1162925943-modern-neumann-freq-res

I agree, the 87 is a pretty flat mic. I used to have one and have used them for decades in studio, but it's got that upper mid bump, which does color a bit. I also realize that an earthworks or other test mic is not going to be the most pleasing, but that's a good place to start.

A 414 might even be a decent flat choice - it's definitely not a flatterer on guitar amps.

IMO the mic that gives the most realistic (which doesn't necessarily mean the best possible) cab tone with a flat frequency response is the Royer R-121 ribbon, it has a figure-8 polar pattern which gives a very full sound,.. one of the best and more expensive mics around

Nico, that's a nice mic, but it's colored. I'm looking for an option that would sound like the amp in the room, without the ambience. That's where I want to start from, just like I would with an actual amp.

Personally, I didn't like the R-121 much either (in general, not just in guitar applications). I used to own a Royer R-101 and shortly upgraded to the R-121. To me the R-101 sounded more natural, even though it's cheaper. Go figure! Eventually I got rid of it because I needed to EQ the hell out of it in order to make it fit with the Shure SM-57. It didn't sound good by itself either. Then I got an AEA R84, which to me sounds more natural and better than the R-121. The R84 is more what you would expect from a ribbon microphone, with a darker sound to it. But it's very pleasant and takes EQ very well.

Another ribbon mic that I would love to try is the Shure KSM-313, which Mesa/Boogie uses for their videos (along with an SM-57). It sounds really good!!

BTW, I do agree with Nico in that, in order to get that 'amp in a room' sound, you also need to include the room. A ribbon microphone definitely helps get that sound, as well as a condenser mic some distance away from the amp (in combination with a mic close to the amp).