Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tones we want to hear from Helix

drew_tnbd

Lets try this.... everyone contribute. A list of songs or tones that we'd like to hear from the Helix... maybe this'll help Line 6 come up with the demos that we want to hear. Or maybe they'll just ignore it, haha. Who knows!

My picks:

The heavy stuff at the outset:

The solo stuff at 4:20: 

The crunchy riff at 1:13: 

The chunky rhythm stuff from the start of the song: 

The clean tones at the start: 

The chunky riff at 0:58: 

May not be the best range of clips, but that's the idea with opening it up to everyone. So we can get a sense of the tones we all want to hear.

Here are mine:

1) Cleans and Crunch:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i0p-ks5xlnY

2) Modern Metal:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DOvSTTnVyms

3) Blues:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW9mklrC92A

4) Fusion:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GzPgK2cH7bs

Not that I'm not sold on Helix, but seeing these being reproduced would make me happy :-).

And such a sweet, rich clean too... We need a Freidman amp pack!  vote it up on IdeaScale...  

What a graceful, smooth, and flowing guitarist playing a quite beautiful song.

There's a lot more going on there than just the amp tone. Will Helix make people into musicians like that if Line 6 adds a Freidman amp pack? :)

• Upvote 1

What a graceful, smooth, and flowing guitarist playing a quite beautiful song.

There's a lot more going on there than just the amp tone. Will Helix make people into musicians like that if Line 6 adds a Freidman amp pack? :)

Lesser know Talent Packs were released with the new amp models a few months ago...I returned mine, because when I woke up the next day I still wasn't Yngwie (Saints be praised)... :P

• Upvote 4

And here's what Peter Mongaya had to say:

"Hey Jose, I believe it's a Fender Deluxe Reverb 1966 with a Lovepedal AMP 11 Prymaxe edition both overdrive and boost together.

There might be a XOTIC SP compressor in front too"

HTH

• Upvote 1

couldn't it be that you just want line 6 to post all those "metal sounds" you haven't heard from the helix, just so it'll make the wait easier?

I get the feeling it's more and more becoming about each persons different taste in music, rather than about specific tones. For example that first Isis clip... I heard absolutely nothing special in that tone, and I'm sure it's easy to replicate with any of the helix high gain amps... and lots of those other modern high gain chuggah chuggah riff clips are gated and compressed and eq'ed and edited so hard that it's impossible to tell what the actual amp in the studio sounded like when they did the recording. I'm pretty sure that with the Amps included in the Helix you'll have more than enough Amps to cover pretty much every tone you could ever need - asuming you know how to dial in the amps. A marshall with some eq and a drivepedal has ben the basis for countless metal records. There is a reason they have become sort of an industrie standard.

happen to sort of agree with ultraknilch.  Maybe I am not able to hear whats so great about all these metal tones people have been posting also in the TGP forum as well and I don't understand why people are then ripping on the helix.  Personally I think the Helix tones have been better or comparable than anything posted which possible exception to the Mesa Boogie video, that just sounded awesome, even though I think Helix will definitely give it a run for its money

• Upvote 1

happen to sort of agree with ultraknilch.  Maybe I am not able to hear whats so great about all these metal tones people have been posting also in the TGP forum as well and I don't understand why people are then ripping on the helix.  Personally I think the Helix tones have been better or comparable than anything posted which possible exception to the Mesa Boogie video, that just sounded awesome, even though I think Helix will definitely give it a run for its money

I am kinda in this field myself.

I don't want to hear specific metal tones (or specific tones from songs period), I just want to hear an assortment of highgain tones dialed in so I can get a round-about general overview how well it does high gain sounds.  As far as specific metal tones, most of that can be adjusted to taste. 

I would like to see some cleans (which we have, and sound great)

I would like to see some rockish jaming style tones (which we have, which sound great.)

I would like to see it with some extreme lead playing (haven't really seen this much,) but to be fair lead guitar tones have always been some of the easiest to dial in for me. So this isn't much of a problem. 

I would like to see it with some heavy tones, played all sorts of ways, fast/slow, several variations that show a nice range of what it can do. (I've only heard 3 or so heavy clips from Helix, and 2 of them were "meh", but they were almost the same tone.)  

The 3rd one I heard (on the Helix video of them stomping, and dropping the unit) sounded very nice, and very reminiscent to a John Petrucci (live) tone.  Sounded very nice, powerful, nice definition, and could tell that something like that double tracked would sound killer.

I guess I just really want to hear a lot of all different tones. Part of it is to help with the wait, the other part is I want to know what it is I would be getting.  So far I have been pleased with all of the tones I have heard from the helix (minus the 2 "meh" high gain clips mentioned above)

I am thoroughly excited about this Helix unit. I just "want" to hear more.

I'm kind of extrapolating at this point.  No, I haven't heard clips of every single tone I hope to coax out of the Helix.  I think that's kind of an absurd thing to expect, frankly.  But I've heard enough good tones that I can read between the lines, and therefore expect to be able to carve out the tones I need with the tools available.  The frequency range is there, the definition is there, the gain is there.  Hell, custom IR's are there.  I'm trying to maintain a constructive skepticism so I'm not disappointed on arrival, but from where I'm standing, it's increasingly hard to imagine how I would be unable to get good metal tones - or just about anything else - out of this box.

Worth noting that I'm not exactly famous for my optimism, by the way.   :)

• Upvote 1

Yes, I know. I was posting on this thread since this thread is also about tones.

OK.

However, the purpose of this thread is to provide Line 6 with a list of tones we 'have not' already heard in order to give them an idea of what we would like to hear in the next round of clips.

Not trying to be an a-hole, btw :-).

• Upvote 2

OK.

However, the purpose of this thread is to provide Line 6 with a list of tones we 'have not' already heard in order to give them an idea of what we would like to hear in the next round of clips.

Not trying to be an a-hole, btw :-).

Yes I know. Some people on this thread may 'have not' already heard the tones linked to; that was my only intent, so that they (1) could hear the best variety of tones demoed so far and (2) not request similar tones on this thread.

Wow, there's a lot of "overplayers" in the videos posted.  Then, there's some good, solid, soulful players too.. Some great tone opportunities here for L6 to show off Helix, for sure.  I guess I'm more a fan of the Gilmour style.  Why play 600 notes when 6 sounds better?  I guess I like to hear emotion, not wanking. But that's just me..

Tone examples I'd like to see:

Every amp, no effects, drive at 0, 25, 50, 75, 100.

That's all.

Wow, there's a lot of "overplayers" in the videos posted.  Then, there's some good, solid, soulful players too.. Some great tone opportunities here for L6 to show off Helix, for sure.  I guess I'm more a fan of the Gilmour style.  Why play 600 notes when 6 sounds better?  I guess I like to hear emotion, not wanking. But that's just me..

Ohh,  :rolleyes:

The same old "speed = no emotion" non-sense.  I find it funny people actually believe this fallacy.

• Upvote 1

Ohh,  :rolleyes:

The same old "speed = no emotion" non-sense.  I find it funny people actually believe this fallacy.

I don't know what he's talking about either. For example, Alex Hutchings (which I and another forum member posted videos of) is an incredible player. That dude can play 600 notes per second and still be so freaking soulful. I wanna be like him when I grow up, lol. Same with Tom Quayle, Andy Timons and Nick Johnston. All monster players that still impart soul into their solos.

• Upvote 1

I don't know what he's talking about either. For example, Alex Hutchings (which I and another forum member posted videos of) is an incredible player. That dude can play 600 notes per second and still be so freaking soulful. I wanna be like him when I grow up, lol. Same with Tom Quayle, Andy Timons and Nick Johnston. All monster players that still impart soul into their solos.

I know what he's talking about. For me, most monster players do not impart soul into their solos. They are too busy showing their chops. Steve Vai, Joe Satriani. mehh. Brian May is an exception. I hadn't heard of Alex Hutchings, but the video above definitely has soul, so that's a new guitarist to hear for me. Miles Davis was much more interesting playing cool jazz than bebop though. YMMV.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I know what he's talking about. For me, most monster players do not impart soul into their solos. They are too busy showing their chops. Steve Vai, Joe Satriani. mehh. Brian May is an exception. I hadn't heard of Alex Hutchings, but the video above definitely has soul, so that's a new guitarist to hear for me. Miles Davis was much more interesting playing cool jazz than bebop though. YMMV.

Vai and Satriani just showing of their chops? Really? Obviously music is entirely subjective, but to question the motives of two of the best world class guitarists out there as just showing off is really low.

• Upvote 1

This "soul" crap is getting old. Its just emotion, and plenty of the faster players have plenty of it.  Most of this (but they don't have "soul") crap comes from envy, more than anything, and its quite sad.

(Slow= "soulful" / fast=wanking) is a childish look on music, and guitarists. 

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry dude, but I do not agree with you either (especially when you're referring to those particular players). Steve Vai and Joe Satriani are two of the most influential guitarists in the world for a reason, and it wasn't just due to their chops. If people didn't like their music, they wouldn't be where they are. I can get that you don't like them. But saying that "they are too busy showing their chops" is BS.

According to you, were Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie also showing off? As you may or may not know, they also played very fast and were amongst the most influential players in history, to this day!

• Upvote 1

This "soul" crap is getting old. Its just emotion, and plenty of the faster players have plenty of it.  Most of this (but they don't have "soul") crap comes from envy, more than anything, and its quite sad.

I agree about the "soul crap" but I have to disagree with your envy assesment. Fist of all, I think it's a bit arrogant to assume you know where anyone's opinion comes from. Especially in a forum where there's no way you could ascertain that. I think when you say that, it's essentially just schoolyard name calling.

"You're just jealous" (said in a whiny chld's voice).

Now when I first saw Yngwie, his playing left me flat. Fast, fluid and accurate..Yes. But I felt nothing. In no way did it do anything for me except "gee, golly, he sho're is fast".  I wasn't jealous, didn't start with my nose in the air, expecting to feel no emotion. That's just what I felt (or didn't feel). Now Steve Morse. That would be different. The tastiest "faster" player I know. Steve Vai; the only song of his that did anything for me was Attitude Song. And I WANTED to like Vai. Bought three of his CD's based on the potential I heard in Atttude Song but nothing, and I mean NOTHING else he did touched me in any way other than " boy, he sho're can play fast". Technically he was VERY impressive but I don't throw on Steve Vai CD's very much at all.  Just my opinion. Not a character flaw to think that, nor to think that he's the most emotional player on the planet. I love to play fast. And when I do, part of the reason I do, is because of what I'm feeling at the time so when I do play fast, I am playing with feeling and I can only assume the same is true for all of the aforementioned players. But if I were to play a recording of my noodlings would people feel the emotion I was feeling or just think "gee, golly he sho're plays fast". Unfortunately for my ego, I'm afraid it's probably the latter. Just food for thought.  I mean no malice by this post.

I'm sorry dude, but I do not agree with you either (especially when you're referring to those particular players). Steve Vai and Joe Satriani are two of the most influential guitarists in the world for a reason, and it wasn't just due to their chops. If people didn't like their music, they wouldn't be where they are. I can get that you don't like them. But saying that "they are too busy showing their chops" is BS.

According to you, were Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie also showing off? As you may or may not know, they also played very fast and were amongst the most influential players in history, to this day!

Charlie Parker, absolutely showing off. Dizzy Gillespie, less so. And I never said they weren't influential. I just don't feel anything out of the music they made (although I like some of Dizzy's stuff).

As I said, YMMV. Opinions vary. For me, these musicians do nothing for me emotionally. If it does something for others, that's great.

Nothing to do with envy at all, I just don't agree with you. I am talking about emotional impact as a listener. I don't care what emotion they put into it, I care what emotion I get out of it. Fast runs are technically amazing, but it leaves me emotionally cold. If it does something for others, great.

Charlie Parker, absolutely showing off. Dizzy Gillespie, less so. And I never said they weren't influential. I just don't feel anything out of the music they made (although I like some of Dizzy's stuff).

As I said, YMMV. Opinions vary. For me, these musicians do nothing for me emotionally. If it does something for others, that's great.

Wow, that's a first for me. I've never heard anyone say that about Charlie Parker's playing or his music.

I agree about the "soul crap" but I have to disagree with your envy assesment. Fist of all, I think it's a bit arrogant to assume you know where anyone's opinion comes from. Especially in a forum where there's no way you could ascertain that. I think when you say that, it's essentially just schoolyard name calling.

"You're just jealous" (said in a whiny chld's voice).

I was not referring to the poster above when I mentioned envy. I don't know their particular motivation behind what they stated. However, from my experience with people when they go on about this "soul" nonsense, envy has played a large role (maybe not of the ability, but of recognition as well)... Generally speaking. AND maybe not the biggest role, and that is where I am wrong when I said "more than anything."  :P

But I did not state out of arrogance, I stated out of experience.   If I were referring to the poster (ozbadman) then yea that would be quite out of arrogance. I was referring to my personal experiences when talking with people about this subject (which I have in detail) which usually gets boiled down to speed = no emotion. I could have been more clear on that, much like how he could of been clearer on his personal "what he get out of it" rather than "what they put into it" which I cover below. 

Nothing to do with envy at all, I just don't agree with you. I am talking about emotional impact as a listener. I don't care what emotion they put into it, I care what emotion I get out of it. Fast runs are technically amazing, but it leaves me emotionally cold. If it does something for others, great.

Well thats all well and good, but its easy to confuse when you post:

Wow, there's a lot of "overplayers" in the videos posted. Then, there's some good, solid, soulful players too.. ...... Why play 600 notes when 6 sounds better? I guess I like to hear emotion, not wanking. But that's just me..

These statements lend credence that you could very well be including what they put into it, and not just what you get out of it. For clarification. But fair enough, also I didn't mean to insinuate that you were envious. If you read above where I quoted your post, in this post, you will see what I mean.  ;)

Well thats all well and good, but its easy to confuse when you post:

Wow, there's a lot of "overplayers" in the videos posted. Then, there's some good, solid, soulful players too.. ...... Why play 600 notes when 6 sounds better? I guess I like to hear emotion, not wanking. But that's just me..

These statements lend credence that you could very well be including what they put into it, and not just what you get out of it. For clarification. But fair enough, also I didn't mean to insinuate that you were envious. If you read above where I quoted your post, in this post, you will see what I mean.  ;)

Just to clarify, I didn't post that so you can't really use it as an argument for what I might be including. :)