Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X - Is 8 the max for FX options?

mikecobra302

Hey everyone,

Bear with me here as I just purchased my HD500X and am still getting familiar with it. I have been learning the patches and options the past few days and I have a few questions.  I have figured out how to use an effect and leave it permanently on without assigning to an FX button.  For things like my EQ,  Noise Gate, etc.  So here are my questions....

Is 8 the max number of Effects I can use on 1 channel preset?

Can I have FX buttons 1-4 for use with stomp boxes and FX 5-8 used to switch through channels A-B-C-D on my current bank?  It seems a little odd I would have to hit the bank button then a preset to switch from a heavy channel to clean..........

Also, while in our practice studio and while playing live I'd still like to run this through my cab.  I have a Line 6 HD147 amp and I plan on running the HD500X through the FX loop on the HD147 so I can play it though the amp acting as a PA.  This way I can get the tone through my Mesa Cab.  I have read I need to assign an Effect Loop option to my effects on the channel, I just ran out of effects at the 8 limit.  

Any thoughts and help is greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

8 is all you get with the on-board FX. I suppose you could use the FX loop and daisy chain a bunch of pedals together that way if you really need access to more, although I'm not sure how that would pan out. Would probably depend on what you stick in there.

As for the buttons, it's either 1-8 in stomp box mode, or A-D for patch selection, and then 5-8 for toggling whatever is in your signal chain for a given patch. No need to switch banks to go from clean to dirty.

8 is all you get with the on-board FX. I suppose you could use the FX loop and daisy chain a bunch of pedals together that way if you really need access to more, although I'm not sure how that would pan out. Would probably depend on what you stick in there.

As for the buttons, it's either 1-8 in stomp box mode, or A-D for patch selection, and then 5-8 for toggling whatever is in your signal chain for a given patch. No need to switch banks to go from clean to dirty.

Thanks man!  I was afraid 8 was all I could.  How do I assign FX5-8 for patch selection with FX1-4 for stomp boxes?

You have a choice of pedal modes. 

1-8 and 1-4/5-8 

1-8 will be individual on/off switches. 

1-4/5-8 is when you can use 1-4 for on/off and 5-8 as preset selectors. 

You DO NOT have to assign a loop on your pod to use your amp loop. You would only need to assign the loop if you were using a loop on the pod. 

You standard out jacks can go in to the amp loop. 

It really depends on how you intend on using it. 

1-4 as stomp (or on/off for fx blocks) and 5-8 as preset select (A/B/C/D) is the default mode shown as ABCD in the System Setup screen - you have to change it to FS5-8 to get all 8 to operate as on/off for fx blocks.

So short answer - you don't have to do anything to get it to operate as you want - that's the out of the box setting.

Seriously, thanks guys.  I printed out the Advanced user guide and laughed when over 100 pages spit out of the printer:)  I am, slowly getting the hang of it, just gonna take some hands on time.  I am taking it to the studio tomorrow to attempt the FX loop to my HD147.  We'll see how that goes!  

One trick to potentially save an FX block is to use the amp Channel Control as a Volume Control. No separate volume control FX block needed for that.

Also, be aware that calling up a patch (in ABCD mode) invokes a slight mute to your signal (5-10msec). Many people are able to incorporate this into their playing style so it's effect is minimal. I cannot. That mute drives me nuts so I don't use ABCD mode, only FS1-8 mode. An extra benefit is I have independent control of 8 different FX blocks.

Seriously, thanks guys.  I printed out the Advanced user guide and laughed when over 100 pages spit out of the printer:)  I am, slowly getting the hang of it, just gonna take some hands on time.  I am taking it to the studio tomorrow to attempt the FX loop to my HD147.  We'll see how that goes!  

Hey Mike, if you do find yourself wishing for more than 8 effects in one patch, ask for ideas from the folks on the forum here. Depending on what you're trying to do, there is often some creative way to get (at least close to) the sound you want, using fewer effect blocks. Good luck!