Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod HD Pro with Matrix Gt800 live setup

Jonny_BGrove

When I use my gear at practice or live i use go >

Pod Hd Pro > 2xXLR into Matrix GT800) > Matrix to 4x12 cab (using chanel's A+B and cab usually set to stereo. 

I often find that I turn both chanels on the Matrix get turned up to between 1 and 3 (o'clock) and the Pod up to 3-4 (o'clock) just to get loud enough at practice. Am I missing something or should those settings make the sound REALLY loud? I wouldn't have thought i'd need to turn them up that much, but I have to, and then it starts to lose the tone the louder I take it.  I ask this because our other guitarist goes through a line 6 head unit (150w) and has a lot lower wattage, but it's still a hell of a lot louder (and clearer) I even turn up the amp volume on the patches, and nothing :/

-What is the best technical set up for playing through a cab?   i.e. connections to and from all units, studio/direct output etc.

-Is there a certain setting/method on the Pod which can drive the cab louder? Seams weird seeing as the Matrix is 400w per chanel compared to the 150w head unit and isn't as loud.

-Could it possibly be the cab that is crap? It's a marshall, not sure what model but its got jcm900 in the corner. I'm just so confused as I would have thought my power amp would make my rig the loudest thing in the room.

Any response is graetly appreciated and sorry if this appears a bit thick to some

-Is there a certain setting/method on the Pod which can drive the cab louder? Seams weird seeing as the Matrix is 400w per chanel compared to the 150w head unit and isn't as loud.

You are using the XLR outs which are at mic level, much lower than the 1/4 outs which are at line level.  Change from XLR to 1/4 outs on the POD and you will be good to go.

• Upvote 1

I have a POD Pro X and a Matrix GT1000.  The Matrix needs a strong input signal going into it.  So make sure your mixer levels and amp volume levels are as maxxed out as much as possible.  If you can...max out the amp model volume and zero out the mixer.  Make sure you're ALWAYS using 1/4 inch outs, NOT XLR and the output level on the back of the POD Pro is set to "line".  The volume difference is huge.  

With a Matrix, the design doesn't behave like a tube power amp.  I've noticed it's opposite.  Where you'd normally run your power amp at high volume and your preamp would control the level.  I run my POD with the master volume at 75% up.  It gives a really strong input signal to the Matrix.  Then I push my Matrix up as loud as needed.  

Also, "if" you don't need it...don't run in stereo. Run the Matrix in Bridge mode to get the full wattage (depending on speaker impedance).

One last thing...if you wanna get crazy...the Matrix responds louder, the more cabs/speakers are plugged into it.  :)

Hope that helps.  

Brian

Thanks for your replies :) I did actually wonder at one point if it was the XLR's so i'll get them swapped out straight away. Yeah i'll also have to make sure on the cab impedance, so I can get the best out of the cab at practice. R

Really appreciate it again guys :)Jo

Jonny