Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Future Overview? + Current Confidence - Share And Download 2.0+ H D Models

EDIT1: is the following the only (official?) trusted resource? Share And Download 2.0+ H D Models?

That referenced thread itself, is locked.
What I'm hoping for in the future is described in the last few (blue) sentences.

I was reading the FW update descriptions yesterday and was wondering if the 5 models were now available for other Variax guitars.  It does say "The five high-gain models that were previously exclusive to JTV-89 ...".

I would like to know where to find those models as well if I can try them in my Variax Standard.

resource? Share And Download 2.0+ H D Models?

-------
Yes, thats VGuitarForums, with 14.000 members and I'm the site owner.

We have the largest repository of Variax patch sharing on the net.

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=138.0

Here is the JtV89 custom bank for all JTV Owners.

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9275.0

Read the sticky at top of this forum for more details on the Workbench HD Patch Exchange

http://line6.com/support/topic/2163-share-and-download-20-h-d-models/?do=findComment&comment=13549

Awesome stevekc,

I just loaded them into Custom 2.

Thank you!

@@CipherHost Which supports the notion that all HD Models/patches (2.0+, including exclusive Models/patches) are compatible with JTV+ and 2015+ Variax guitars. Good to know. Marketing mist becoming thinner. Although the focus and true added-value of each particular Variax is unique.

@@stevekc That's reassuring. Thank you. I did reference that same thread, and I also noticed that you two are one of the Line 6 Expert (forum) users since a long time.

In terms of the end-user experience, I hope in the future it becomes integrated with a star-rated ('average' quality/reliability+compatibility) overview just like the Tones through the Firehawk FX Remote app.

http://line6.com/support/topic/14989-why-is-workbench-hd-seeing-my-jtv-89f-as-tyler-variax-jtv-69

If not 'just like', then preferably similar, and forum integration (either ones) would be all-inclusive helpful, and clear from the get-go (dummy-proof; pointing at myself).

EDITs: typo fix + reference addition.

Edited by ZenBalancer

Is there a question there?

I guess. Here is my relevant rant.

Like: what do other members think/expect in the future? Is there any consensus? :ph34r:  Does this little overview of corrected assumption(s) (including or perhaps mostly mine) show anything worth being more clear? For instance "Here is the JtV89 custom bank for all JTV Owners."  While in actuality Variax Standard (2015, according to a vid feedback: slightly higher SW version) works fine with those custom banks according to @CipherHost " if I can try them in my Variax Standard." + "I just loaded them into Custom 2."

See, he found out about the existence of those 5 high-gain JTV-89 exclusives a day before he found my issue mentioning it as well, and made the best of the situation, provided helpful feedback with the others, and helped us (at least a simple user like me) as well find out that it's not limited only to a single JTV model, not even to only the JTV family, but any modern Variax can do it.

Why did it have to be like this? Finding out this way? Have you seen the Firehawk FX Remote app Tones cloud system? Aren't more users or potential customers expecting such developments to propagate to Models/patches? Will the Helix based 3.0 (speculating, since it's a totally groundsup separate and improved approach compared to the Line 6 HD tech) at some point be like that? Shouldn't it? Isn't this a place for users to 'Dream Up' (this is more like copying their own ideas and suggesting it back to them), get some common consensus, or rejection of some sub-group's or single user's expectations and hopes? You might suspect by now that I don't have much better to do. And you would be right. I'm kind of splitting hairs again. Somethings just bother me. The world is more complicated than it needs to be. I guess I'm venting. For instance the JTV-89 high-gain model exclusivity was a part of my purchase consideration (although I didn't phrase it as such in my related issue), I assumed too soon and didn't double check. Wanting to Have more digital options. But that was not what I needed to pay or paid for. I paid essentially for the rest of the features, not the essential Variax HD capability. I've my peace with that. But it bothers me how it went down. And I was imagining how it will be in the future.

Isn't anyone else here, imagining and communicating it?  :huh: 

EDIT: not even sure what I edited..

Edited by ZenBalancer

the referenced thread and variax sharing forum is unofficial and graciously provided by one of the fellow forum users.

there will not be an official sharing portal for variax tones....

if you want such, vote it up on ideascale...

but with variax having been out over a decade, if they were going to do it.. it would be done.

ideascale, is the way you change their minds....

• Upvote 1

The VGuitarForums Variax Patch Sharing Forum grew out of my own frustration after owning Variaxs since 2004 that Line-6 never included Variax Workbench User to User Patch sharing where it belongs- at www.CustomTone.com

I have been vocal about this lack of Variax Patch sharing since 2005. in the two predecessors of this Line-6 forum , and at Instutute of Noise Forum since 2005 After waiting seven years for Line-6 to step up and deliver a solution at CustomTone.com , I just decided to add two dedicated Variax user to user patch sharing message boards at my VGuitarforums.com (took 2 minutes to create)

* Original Variax Workbench User to User Patch Exchange: (for Variax 300/500/700, pre "HD 2.0" Tyler Variax) 

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=139.0

* Variax Workbench HD User to User Patch Exchange: (for "HD 2.0" Tyler Variax, Variax Standard) 

VGuitarForums was created in 2008 after my own frustration with Roland/Boss not having a proper User Forum in USA.

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7912.0

Sometimes you just have to roll your own solutions.

I can understand the confusion - its a bit like owning a Camaro, then finding you have to join the Mustang User Group to get latest details on the OBDII port

http://www.obdii.com/connector.html

VGuitarforums  is  NOT affiliated with any manufacturer, just end users and the total number of guitarists who are also interested in DSP Modeling, DSP Alt Tuning (0.001%) tend to buy best tech available from any vendor as the need arises to get the most sounds from one guitar for todays gig.

• Upvote 1

guess. Here is my relevant rant.

Like: what do other members think/expect in the future? Is there any consensus?  :ph34r:  Does this little overview of corrected assumption(s) 

Variax's being DSP-based, every three to five years there are new leaps in technology which allow faster processing and new features at lower price points. Will a 2015 Variax Standard still be relevant and desirable in 2020? It's like gaming systems , are you still happy with the 2001 X-Box, or 2001 Playstation, when all your buddies have the faster tech of 2012 XBox One / Playstation 3?

Based on past example, Line-6 has demonstrated that new Variaxs will arrive every 6-7 years

Here's my predicted "roadmap"

2004 Variax 700 $1500

2010 Tyler Variax $1600

2012 Tyler Variax (HD firmware) $1600

2015 Variax Standard $799

2020 Variax (Super HD?)? ?

• Upvote 1

From what I remember (And this is from memory so I may be wrong in certain areas, please feel free to correct me in these instances).  The high gain JTV 89 models you are talking about was variax modeling of the actual magnetic pickups in the JTV 89.  These originally were only available in the 89 probably due to the assumption that the 59 and 69 players would not have much interest in the high gain pickups on the 89 itself.  When the update came out these models were not part of that update but a special note was released to tell the 89 owners where to find and download the high gain models.  So the download capability has been there for a while its just the timing of when you started looking for it made it more complicated.

• Upvote 1

mostly right...

the models themselves were written into all the firmwares... i believe that they were included in the firmware on the 89's in one of the custom slots.

all the other models could download the workbench files and load them... or build their own version using workbench...

since the models were available there.

From what I remember (And this is from memory so I may be wrong in certain areas, please feel free to correct me in these instances).  The high gain JTV 89 models you are talking about was variax modeling of the actual magnetic pickups in the JTV 89.  These originally were only available in the 89 probably due to the assumption that the 59 and 69 players would not have much interest in the high gain pickups on the 89 itself.  When the update came out these models were not part of that update but a special note was released to tell the 89 owners where to find and download the high gain models.  So the download capability has been there for a while its just the timing of when you started looking for it made it more complicated.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

My apologies for my late response to this thread, despite having read these all quite a while ago; regardless, I appreciate all of your feedback.

All very interesting feedback.. indeed.

Or go into Workbench and either tweak the models that aren't too your liking, or create your own, just like the rest of us.

I'm sure I will, at some point. It was one of the reasons for my purchase. My point currently is: why should that be the exclusive/only way? I'm not the only one (perhaps I'm just one of the most recent ones, whom?/who?/anyway..) that wishes for an (improved/more-content-specific/attuned) sharing-platform for Variax-guitar-Patches as well, beyond just Forum Topic Post Attachments, and links to dispersed 3rd party hosting; but rather in terms of 'Tone'-matches more sophisticated and versatile like the Firehawk FX Remote App + Back-end Cloud (Private Accounts + Public Repository). Like it (EDIT: it or relevant products; should instead of would) automatically suggest and upload song-specific guitar-Patch right into a guitar-custom-bank/slot-preset (more options might logically become available overtime), in the (far) future. It's not technically impossible.

If you've not experienced that ease (even though the SW is not quite there yet) you won't understand the need I'm referencing. It's like having experienced all of the benefits of electricity, and after getting used to them (when it suddenly becomes a commodity), can you afterwards go back to (accept) living the 'stone age'? I've a lot of difficulty in such a 'worst-case-scenario'. I'm not disrespecting the status quo; I'm pointing at unseen (and possibly unforeseen) frustrations, not mine alone; it seems. And I'm being critical; not sure if my standpoint is reasonable enough.

Btw, your suggestion, for instance, doesn't take into account the Model/Patch of the JTV-89 itself, to be loaded into itself (or the JTV-89F, or any other assumed only HD-capable-Variax for that matter) for the then usable Alternate Tuning capability with the high-output-model (that was one of the interesting feedback, not that I can do anything with it, currently, but certainly useful.). :

mostly right...
the models themselves were written into all the firmwares... i believe that they were included in the firmware on the 89's in one of the custom slots.
all the other models could download the workbench files and load them... or build their own version using workbench...
since the models were available there.

the referenced thread and variax sharing forum is unofficial and graciously provided by one of the fellow forum users.

there will not be an official sharing portal for variax tones....
if you want such,

vote it up on ideascale...
but with variax having been out over a decade, if they were going to do it.. it would be done.
ideascale, is the way you change their minds....

The VGuitarForums Variax Patch Sharing Forum grew out of my own frustration after owning Variaxs since 2004 that Line-6 never included Variax Workbench User to User Patch sharing where it belongs- at www.CustomTone.com

I have been vocal about this lack of Variax Patch sharing since 2005. in the two predecessors of this Line-6 forum , and at Instutute of Noise Forum since 2005 After waiting seven years for Line-6 to step up and deliver a solution at CustomTone.com , I just decided to add two dedicated Variax user to user patch sharing message boards at my VGuitarforums.com (took 2 minutes to create)

* Original Variax Workbench User to User Patch Exchange: (for Variax 300/500/700, pre "HD 2.0" Tyler Variax) 

* Variax Workbench HD User to User Patch Exchange: (for "HD 2.0" Tyler Variax, Variax Standard) 

VGuitarForums was created in 2008 after my own frustration with Roland/Boss not having a proper User Forum in USA.
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7912.0
Sometimes you just have to roll your own solutions.

I can understand the confusion - its a bit like owning a Camaro, then finding you have to join the Mustang User Group to get latest details on the OBDII port
http://www.obdii.com/connector.html

VGuitarforums  is  NOT affiliated with any manufacturer, just end users and the total number of guitarists who are also interested in DSP Modeling, DSP Alt Tuning (0.001%) tend to buy best tech available from any vendor as the need arises to get the most sounds from one guitar for todays gig.

THANKS! I recall it from someone else mentioning it, your confirmation helps a lot.

I appreciate these facilities (and more recent clarity about them) as well. And at least one of you seems to share my frustration (way ahead of me), yet also (with everyone's help) made the best of it and improved the situation, over relatively a very long time. Recent developments in cloud-computing and other areas (perhaps including presumably increased [Yamah] Line 6 DSP-/V-guitar market-share) should lead to improvements, eventually, in this regard.

It wasn't a straightforward process to find or safely assume on my part, to say the least.

I've different motivations; maybe at some point I'll talk about in a relevant Thread/Topic.

Variax's being DSP-based, every three to five years there are new leaps in technology which allow faster processing and new features at lower price points. Will a 2015 Variax Standard still be relevant and desirable in 2020? It's like gaming systems , are you still happy with the 2001 X-Box, or 2001 Playstation, when all your buddies have the faster tech of 2012 XBox One / Playstation 3?

Based on past example, Line-6 has demonstrated that new Variaxs will arrive every 6-7 years

Here's my predicted "roadmap"

2004 Variax 700 $1500
2010 Tyler Variax $1600

2012 Tyler Variax (HD firmware) $1600

2015 Variax Standard $799
2020 Variax (Super HD?)? ?

??? Nobody had to pay $2100 for a 500.  I think I paid about $700.  I only paid $1000 for my 2012 JTV.  Yess the JTV has more processor power but the models are not that much better than the ones on my 10+ year old 500.  I wish they were but they aren't.

That motivates me not to wait 2 years for the HX-based Variax Guitar (FW), because I don't need the Variax guitar signal/sound improvements to learn within the Variax versatility (+convenient acoustic [++]) context. Yet that increased processor-power (dual-core, in the guitar as well as the Helix [not sure about type and frequency difference]; according to a number of Line 6 Official Demonstrators, if I remember and now deduce correctly following this:), might allow HD-capable JTVs + 2015+ Variax Standards' to be future HX-Variax-guitar-Model/Patch/FW-compatible. Just like the jump from FW v1.9 to the 2.0 HD 'realm'. We will find out by the end of 2017, maybe? :

I heard from a reliable source it will be called the Variax Pro based on HX technology, will ship by November of 2017 and retail for $1,199.00 US.

I know a guy who knows a guy who sleeps with a girl whose husband has a cousin that works for..., well, you know.   :ph34r:

I've not being 'following' my [nor old nor new] friends for a very, very long time; although I understand your point.

I need what I think I could use well, learn and enjoy, now.

But that's for a different Thread/Topic imo.

It doesn't stop me from imagining and 'contributing' to the future. The frustrations felt now, are better put into words, now.

EDITs: improvement + addition + correction + clarity.

Edited by ZenBalancer

Recent developments in cloud-computing and other areas (perhaps including presumably increased [Yamaha] Line 6 DSP-/V-guitar market-share) should lead to improvements, eventually, in this regard.

Good luck with that - I'm NOT too happy about the path Line-6 is on- (and glad they are not my employer). Witness what Yamaha has done to Steinberg. I recently purchased a Steinberg UR44 Audio interface - but its apparent Yamaha cut bulk of the Steinberg Staff a couple years ago, and the USB Driver support for this box designed in China is non existent. Nothing works.

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15805.msg114483#msg114483

We know Yamaha also recently purchased Line-6. hopefully this is not a sign of things to come, but I'm not holding my breath - I advise  download any Line-6 apps USB Drivers  for Line-6 gear now while you still can before the Yamaha bean counters do to Line -6 as they have already have done to Steinberg.

Read about  FireHawk FX experience at failure here:

http://line6.com/support/topic/13511-time-between-preset-swtiching-unbearable/page-2

http://line6.com/support/topic/13591-a-d-patch-lights-of-death/page-2

Good luck with that - I'm NOT too happy about the path Line-6 is on- (and glad they are not my employer). Witness what Yamaha has done to Steinberg. I recently purchased a Steinberg UR22 Audio interface - but its apparent Yamaha cut bulk of the Steinberg Staff a couple years ago, and the USB Driver support for this box designed in China is non existent. Nothing works.

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15805.msg114483#msg114483

We know Yamaha also recently purchased Line-6. hopefully this is not a sign of things to come, but I'm not holding my breath - I advise  download any Line-6 apps USB Drivers  for Line-6 gear now while you still can before the Yamaha bean counters do to Line -6 as they have already have done to Steinberg.[/size]

Read about my FireHawk FX experience at failure here:[/size]

http://line6.com/support/topic/13511-time-between-preset-swtiching-unbearable/page-2

(there was a lot of weird text-markup, including and sometimes , both text-markups aside)

I notice you've corrected the [Yamaha] reference for me (instead of my [Yamah] initial typo). Thanks. I'll keep mine as it is for future reference.

I'm also critical of the Firehawk FX; don't let my partial support fool you. My crude-mobile notes however need prioritization and refining, and I also need to put some other things for myself in order. And if I lose my notes, I'm sure I'll encounter the same problems again, and make new notes.

The real content of your post however, is worrying, nonetheless. In the words of a Line 6 Staff:

A You Tube audio,... now there is something usable.

A video watching you do it, would be even better.

I'll mull this over.

In the meantime, make use of the equalisers on the HD500 to trim

out a frequency profile more in keeping with what you are looking for.

What are the chances that Marcus Ryle stands by idly and watch and let that happen to Line 6?

Co-Founder and President

http://line6.com/company/executiveTeam/

Although Google Search shows Paul Foeckler as CEO. Was he before? EDIT: aaah, I guess he's the Yamaha one; the 'final boss', so to speak..

Screenview: post-2243211-0-26346400-1441048797_thumb.png (need to be logged-in to view). I'll add other versions later, maybe.

EDITs: correction + improvement + clarity.

Edited by ZenBalancer

One things is true - times are tough all over, and I know I sound cranky lately, but after dropping $400 on the Firehawk and it reveals itself to be a toy - I suppose Ive reached my threshold of pain.   - and have to sharpen my abilities to apply more caution before clicking "Buy it now" when I make my Line-6 purchases -( I live over 100 miles from the nearest Line-6 dealer and buy online )- and be prepared to fully check it out for any bugs, oversold features that didnt make the production firmware release, and seek happiness by sending the unit back within the dealer's return for refund time period.    

One things is true - times are tough all over, and I know I sound cranky lately, but after dropping $400 on the Firehawk and it reveals itself to be a toy - I suppose Ive reached my threshold of pain.   - and have to sharpen my abilities to apply more caution before clicking "Buy it now" when I make my Line-6 purchases -( I live over 100 miles from the nearest Line-6 dealer and buy online )- and be prepared to fully check it out for any bugs, oversold features that didnt make the production firmware release, and seek happiness by sending the unit back within the dealer's return for refund time period.    

Bingo! Well, nothing won. And happiness is so relative. I've just setup my own example of what you just described in terms of a counter-approach:

(Yamaha) Line 6 JTV-89F (K/Crafted in Korea) - Factory Issues (The Return to The Dealer 'Saga')

Because if we don't do it like that, I'm not sure the 'experience'/'lesson' will be registered well enough to lead to improvements. Any eventually bottom-line-driven company will feel it when the finances show it. Yet actually the dealer's might actually not bother to give all of the feedback they get; either blaming the shipping, themselves, just finding it easier to just sell it as alternative stock or the like; in the end a lot of the feedback gets lost in the 'mail'/'in-transit'.

seems that investing less than 0.5K on HD500 instead is value 4 money :D

what abt 1.5K on helix?

It seems the Helix is a new level, not just a 'new price':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1fBuSjDnCw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaZCK0YFl1c

I'm sticking with the Firehawk FX; it's the toy I need.

EDIT: corrected spelling from Firehaw FX to Firehawk FX.

Edited by ZenBalancer