Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD400 and James Tyler Variax

traciik

I am thinking of trading for a POD HD400. I have seen mention that HD400 integrates with the James Tyler Variax , but cannot find any mention in the manuals and do not see a standard Variax input.  Is this misleading information, or can i connect my JT Variax (and/or my 1st gen Variax) to the POD HD400 directly through the D6 cable, allowing me to set up Variax data specific to patches like I could with my old Pod XTlive? Would like to know before I acquire it.

The HD 300 & 400 models do not have the VDI - Variax Digital Interface, so do not integrate directly with the JTV's or other Variax's. You can use them, of course, but like any other guitar with a 1/4" plug, and the pedal will not control the guitar. The units that have the VDI are the old POD XTLive & XT Pro, POD X3Live & X3 Pro, the HD Pro & 500 line -- HD 500, HD 500X, Firehawk, and the newest on the horizon Helix. NONE of the desktop bean style PODs had VDI, only the floor models and rack models (Pro's).

Don't know where you would have gotten the impression that the HD400 has VDI, but a good resource for seeing what's what with the different models is Line6's manuals section in the support area of this website:

http://line6.com/support/manuals/

http://line6.com/support/manuals/podhd400

Here's the POD HD400 Quick Start Guide:

http://line6.com/data/6/0a060b316ac34f05938560c41/application/pdf/POD%20HD400%20Quick%20Start%20Guide%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20C%20).pdf

The next to the last page shows the front of the unit where the connections are made -- there is no VDI connector for the Variax's & JTV's on that unit.

Dave

• Upvote 1

I'd look at the 500X. They're pretty much guaranteed to plummet in price (especially used ones), once Helix drops in another month or so.

If gambling was legal in NC, I'd bet you a dollar that the 500X will not "plummet in price" after the Helix is released.

If gambling was legal in NC, I'd bet you a dollar that the 500X will not "plummet in price" after the Helix is released.

Well they're not gonna be free, and it obviously won't happen overnight, but the sequence of events is always the same. Shiny new gadget is released, and there's suddenly less interest in the older stuff. The longer stock sits on warehouse shelves, the cheaper they get. Add in a bunch of guys upgrading their 500X to Helix, and the used ones will start popping up on ebay. The more there are the cheaper they get. Just how it works.

Thanks guys.  The guy wants to trade for a beater guitar I'd be happy getting $150 out of. I got the impression from AmericanMusicalSupply (AMS) website, which says "Now available from Line 6 is a free v2.0 firmware update which expands the sonic palette of the POD HD400 and enhances integration with the James Tyler Variax and DT25 or DT50 guitar amps. ". They seem to be influenced by this very forum.  On 01/19/2012 someone linked from a Line 6.com/news/ page that said "Coming soon! The free v2.0 firmware update dramatically expands the sonic palette of all POD® HD multi-effect processors, and enhances integration with theJames Tyler® Variax® and DT25 or DT50 guitar amplifier dream rig."  The news page it linked to has since been changed from all Pod HD to " POD® HD500, POD HD, and POD HD Pro."  But as it looks like he just copied and pasted the entire article, I'm sure it was incorrect from Line 6 at first.  Not that big of a deal to me, just couldn't figure out how it was supposed to work and it bugged me. Thanks for the help.

Well they're not gonna be free, and it obviously won't happen overnight, but the sequence of events is always the same. Shiny new gadget is released, and there's suddenly less interest in the older stuff. The longer stock sits on warehouse shelves, the cheaper they get. Add in a bunch of guys upgrading their 500X to Helix, and the used ones will start popping up on ebay. The more there are the cheaper they get. Just how it works.

I think that scenario would be more likely if the Helix listed for $700 or $800, but at $1,500, I think the price points are too far apart. Time will tell.

• Upvote 1

I think that scenario would be more likely if the Helix listed for $700 or $800, but at $1,500, I think the price points are too far apart. Time will tell.

Not sure what you're driving at. You don't think anyone will upgrade? I'm not planning on it at the moment, but there are a slew of ravenous, borderline obsessed guys already chomping at the bit, who pre-ordered 5 minutes after the initial press release. There are already 90+ threads on here discussing a product that nobody has yet... :lol:. I think there will be an upgrade or two...

Not sure what you're driving at. You don't think anyone will upgrade? I'm not planning on it at the moment, but there are a slew of ravenous, borderline obsessed guys already chomping at the bit, who pre-ordered 5 minutes after the initial press release. There are already 90+ threads on here discussing a product that nobody has yet... :lol:. I think there will be an upgrade or two...

There's no doubt that a percentage of 500X owners that will buy the Helix. What that percentage will be, time will tell. Of those that do, some will unload their old gear for a steal, but I think that number will be a very small percentage of all the 500Xs out there. I just thought it was a reach when you said 500Xs will plummet in price because of the Helix. They have different target markets because the price points are so far apart.

Line6 has created a feeding frenzy on many forums for more information. They have marketed the Helix like a coy woman with a short skirt and low cut blouse. They have shown us some very attractive parts, but they aren't willing to give up all the goods on the first date. I'm not willing to marry her until I get to know her better.