Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

So.. Are these guys full-range? Either through the main channel or aux channel?

Hey everybody. I've been trying to find a definitive answer to this... I don't know too much about amplifiers,  but I do know that plugging a bass into a guitar amp can damage the amp.

I'm interested in plugging in a bass into the spider IV 75W, to mess with some effects. Normally I wouldn't expect this to be possible, but since pitch glide lets you pull down like two octaves, it seems like it may be possible. Is plugging a bass into this amp a bad idea? And is using a super low pitch glide on a normal guitar liable to damage the amp? I get little nervous using it sometimes...

My second question is similar, but not exactly the same. I have an Alesis digital drum kit, which only has an AUX out (1/8", no quarter inch). Would it be safe to plug it into the *aux* jack (noting that the bass drum trigger gets pretty low)? My thinking is that it is a separate speaker that has a much wider range. It wouldn't sound good, but it would at least give me a decent speaker output. And on that note, would it be safe to plug it into the quarter inch jack, using an adapter?

Thank you!

The idea that playing bass through a guitar amp can damage the is somewhat of a myth, although not completely. It's not so much that you'll damage the amp - nothing is going to "get fried" or anything like that. If you are really cranking the amp and pounding on the bass, it is possible to damage a speaker. It depends on the speaker load rating, though. But as long as you play at moderate volumes, there's nothing wrong with using a guitar amp for like practice. It's just that speakers in guitar amps weren't designed to reproduce very low frequencies all that well. So it might not sound the best. But I wouldn't be worried about damaging anything. Just don't dime the amp.

• Upvote 2

I could cut a 50 acre parcel of grass with an ancient mechanical push-mower if I wanted to...but it would take forever, I'd miss some spots (probably a lot), and I'd be tired and cranky.

Point is, just because something is possible doesn't mean it's a swell idea, or that the results will be particularly satisfying. Good tools make good work. Time for a bass amp...

Thank you everyone for the responses!

fflbrgst, I am just interested in playing around with some of the effects. Almost definitely not for any performances (I am a drummer first, and a casual, hobbyist guitar player, but I donate my Line 6 amp for shows that we play). I know it won't sound very good, but I just want to toy around a bit.