Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best Vintage style Amp/Mic combo on pod HD500x?

jasonk931

Hey guys, I dove into my brand new POD HD500x today, but have yet to connect direct in my sanctuary sound system to test the best amp/mic/cab combo when running direct. 

I always lean to Marshall/DR Z style amps, so ive been impressed with the Marshall amps in it, and PHD is great. Just wanted to get some input from those who run their pod direct to house, and what type mics seem to punch through the best with these two amps without being shrill!? 

For cleans, I either roll the volume back, or use a Fender style clean. Twin reverb-ish style is what I like on cleans. 

All in all, one of my favorite guitarists is Andy Timmons, and the style I play often is Lincoln Brewster like in church. I have his patches and had to tweak some of the Bass out of it. I anded on the 409 mic to balance for my ears. He uses Dimarzio Areas which have alot of treble, and I use Dimarzio Injectors, so theres my reason. 

Anyway, hope everyone has a great day, and send me a few tweak tips for live direct! Thanks. 

I've been doing that on several gigs now, no physical amp, just direct to PA or FRFR powered speaker. After messing with a lot of different kind of tones, it never sounded quite right until I started using the new global EQ to cut anything higher than around 6kHz.

My Global EQ settings:

Low Cut: 200Hz

Low Band: 240Hz , Q1.7, Gain +5.0

Mid Band: 2.1kHz, Q5.4, Gain +1.5

High Band: 3.0kHz, Q4.7, Gain +2.0

High Cut: 6.0kHz

I've been doing that on several gigs now, no physical amp, just direct to PA or FRFR powered speaker. After messing with a lot of different kind of tones, it never sounded quite right until I started using the new global EQ to cut anything higher than around 9kHz.

Can you tell me a bit more about the Global EQ? I used the original pod hd500 a few years back, but then Ive been a tube amp guy for so long. I have to go direct now as we are going 'silent stage' at church. Thanks for any help. 

P.S. you mentioned FRFR. Ive looked into the L2T, but kind of pricey! Would a powered stage monitor work similar? We have both active and passive Samson floor wedges, and I was wondering if this might be close enough to an FRFR to get away with it? I also own a Tech 21 Power Engine 60 which is just a power amp, no pre. I will have in ears, but when I pop one out sometimes, I would like a tad of stage sound coming right at me. Thanks again. 

you mentioned FRFR. Ive looked into the L2T, but kind of pricey! Would a powered stage monitor work similar? 

FRFR, essentially IS a pa system. It is Full Range and Flat Response. Meaning, it has no personality of its own. 

**the difference between a Fender and Marshall? Personality** 

So, yes, a stage monitor will work because they are designed to have no personality. 

While I have never used a Tech 21, I have heard that they have no personality. 

I recently bought two KRK 8 inch Rokit studio monitors and play strait into them from hd500x.  Greatest decision I ever made.  Haven't played through my amp since, except to make sure it still works before I sell it.  The speakers were $250 each.  Sounds incredible.  

...Can you tell me a bit more about the Global EQ?

I just edited my original post with my actual settings. They seem to work great across a lot of different powered inexpensive monitors. I play all kinds of styles from classic rock, to disco, funk, cumbias, rock en espanol, and metal (a favorite) when the venue allows it. I usually put some kind of a mild fuzz or compression block before the amp on all of my tones.