Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

hd500x good metal tone?

PhatDeth

Hi all.

I have the boss gt-100 and i am unhappy with the metal tone it has, others are as well from the digging I've done, wish I did before I purchased it doh!!!

Just need to know will the line 6 pod hd500x give me the tone I'm looking for.

Thanks

As a former Boss GT user myself, I say hell yes. The problem with Boss units is that they use the same COSM engine since the early 90's: the new units just have more processing power. And COSM totally sucks at high gain tones. I sold my GT-8 for a POD X3 Live years ago, and the difference was mind blowing.

My only device is my hd500. 

It replaced a rig that I used for 20+ years. 

I am a professional. I cannot go without usable gear or gear that I don't like. 

So, I am going to say YES, you can get the tones you want out of your unit.

It is going to take some time to learn and some more time to 'master' (depending on what all you wish to accomplish). Everything from various set ups to programming. But yes, you can get 'metal tones'. 

HD500 and 500X can literally do almost any tone you want. Including dual amps blended to create unique new tones.  The effects are stellar too and it is very flexible for routing capabilities.  It might help to know what you are playing through and exactly what tone you are looking to approximate...

You can definitely get any tone you want out of the Pod HD, once you learn how to tweak it. I am not gonna lie, it will be really frustrating at first, but once you find the right moves, it will take you were you want.

I have personally managed to get close even to the Axe FX & Kemper tones.

Here is a sample of a modern metal tone that I made: https://soundcloud.com/giwrgos-andrhs/periphery-the-bad-hing-guitar-cover

My soundcloud is full of modern metal, ambient and clean tones.

Hope I helped with your decision :)

• 10 months later...

Nope it just cant metal :(

but in the pod hd every patch sound like a metal sound :(

I don't get what is your problem here honestly..

Do you want to play metal with the Pod but you can't set it up?? or you can't figure out how to set it up so that you can play something else than metal?

Do you want to tell us what type of tone do you want to achieve?

Nope it just cant metal :(

I love the Insane setting of my Spider II, It´s just massive, but in the pod hd every patch sound like a metal sound :(

Wait a minute. If it can't metal, how can every patch sound like metal? And if EVERY patch sounds like metal, you're listening to a style of metal I haven't heard.