Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

9-11-15 ???? Is this date still the ETA of the Helix

jaminjimlp

Perhaps "dumb" is a harsh word. Let's use "ignorant" instead.

Look at the scientific evidence. There's plenty out there to confirm that the Earth is waaay older. But, again, this is off topic and a discussion for another thread. Let's get back to Helix, please :-).

Back to Helix in moment but first this message.

There is actually just as much evidence to confirm that the other case is true. They are both, using the scientific definition, considered theories and not proven facts. And if you want to use the word ignorant, it sounds like you haven't really looked into any of the "young earth" evidence.

Since ignorance has to do with not being aware of other knowledge, who is more ignorant? One who has explored the evidence for both sides of a subject? Or one who has explored only one side and just given the other a "cursory glance" so to speak? Maybe you have thoroughly looked at both sides and have then come to your conclusion. If so I apologize. But it does get me a bit, the enormous amount of people who think that those that think the way I do, do so because they are stupid, ignorant or any other intellect demeaning adjective you can come up with.

It's unfair to put people who believe what I do, into the dumb, ignorant category. Doing that, in my opinion, is unaccepting, judgemental, closed minded and simply unfair. Almost all of the people I know who believe what I do are educated. An electrical engineer, a doctor, a chief of police. Just some of the occupations of people I personally know who believe what I do. I'm not trying to flame or put down or, mostly, discuss the merits of either theory. I'm not trying to build fences. Not trying to convert you. I'm just trying to build bridges of understanding and acceptance. You don't have to approve or believe anything I do. But I think you need to accept that there are people just as smart and educated as you are (maybe even more so) that have looked at all the evidence you have, that don't believe what you do instead of lumping them all into a category. I mean you don't even know me. or any of my friends, background or education. You have concluded we are dumb or at least ignorant, based, apparently, on "they must be dumb and/or ignorant since they don't believe the way I do." You can think I am dumb and ignorant...but I'm not. Nor are most of my friends. And I mean most. (There's always a few. ;))

OK, now, back to the Helix. I know I'm gonna git me won. (That's dumb ignorant talk)    :D

• Upvote 1

Back to Helix in moment but first this message.

There is actually just as much evidence to confirm that the other case is true. They are both, using the scientific definition, considered theories and not proven facts. And if you want to use the word ignorant, it sounds like you haven't really looked into any of the "young earth" evidence.

Since ignorance has to do with not being aware of other knowledge, who is more ignorant? One who has explored the evidence for both sides of a subject? Or one who has explored only one side and just given the other a "cursory glance" so to speak? Maybe you have thoroughly looked at both sides and have then come to your conclusion. If so I apologize. But it does get me a bit, the enormous amount of people who think that those that think the way I do, do so because they are stupid, ignorant or any other intellect demeaning adjective you can come up with.

It's unfair to put people who believe what I do, into the dumb, ignorant category. Doing that, in my opinion, is unaccepting, judgemental, closed minded and simply unfair. Almost all of the people I know who believe what I do are educated. An electrical engineer, a doctor, a chief of police. Just some of the occupations of people I personally know who believe what I do. I'm not trying to flame or put down or, mostly, discuss the merits of either theory. I'm not trying to build fences. Not trying to convert you. I'm just trying to build bridges of understanding and acceptance. You don't have to approve or believe anything I do. But I think you need to accept that there are people just as smart and educated as you are (maybe even more so) that have looked at all the evidence you have, that don't believe what you do instead of lumping them all into a category. I mean you don't even know me. or any of my friends, background or education. You have concluded we are dumb or at least ignorant, based, apparently, on "they must be dumb and/or ignorant since they don't believe the way I do." You can think I am dumb and ignorant...but I'm not. Nor are most of my friends. And I mean most. (There's always a few. ;))

OK, now, back to the Helix. I know I'm gonna git me won. (That's dumb ignorant talk)    :D

Neil Degrasse Tyson.

If you're going to attack people, don't act surprised when one defends themselves.

The reason I said, "I know :-(", was exactly because of the opposite. I knew this would trigger some debate, which is why I didn't want to get into a deep discussion on the matter. But I guess it's inevitable when you bring up topics on science, just like religion and politics.

The reason I said, "I know :-(", was exactly because of the opposite. I knew this would trigger some debate, which is why I didn't want to get into a deep discussion on the matter. But I guess it's inevitable when you bring up topics on science, just like religion and politics.

I would say it was inevitable, for me anyway, when you essentially called me dumb. I don't want to debate. I'm not responding to the belief.  I just want you to know your characterization of people who believe that are dumb was, at the very least, unfair.

I would say it was inevitable, for me anyway, when you essentially called me dumb. I don't want to debate. I'm not responding to the belief.  I just want you to know your characterization of people who believe that are dumb was, at the very least, unfair.

I thought we had gone past that already. I did say that the word "dumb" was a bit harsh, so I agree with you that it was unfair. That's the reason why I changed it to "ignorant". And the age of the Earth is NOT a believe. It is fact, based on hard data, that the Earth is at least 4.1 billion years old. I also don't wish to debate something that's so readily available on the web, but here you go:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-age-of-earth.html

BTW, you are taking this WAY to personal. :-)

• Upvote 2

My question would be: Why do you believe it is 5000-10000 years old? If the answer is that one book, written by mankind, ~3000 years ago (old testament) said so, then I'd have to say your evidence is thin.

What I believe is that no one outside of Line 6 has any more evidence for the delivery date of Helix than I do. But false prophets will claim they speak of the one true release date. I look forward to the day when the Helix rises up and takes over the world. I will be helping it do that, hopefully sometime later this year.

• Upvote 1

My question would be: Why do you believe it is 5000-10000 years old? If the answer is that one book, written by mankind, ~3000 years ago (old testament) said so, then I'd have to say your evidence is thin.

Why ask me? You already answered for me and then responded to my "answer". You used the word if but really, what do you need me for? You had the conversation all by yourself and came to your own conclusions. You've got me all figured out. Why that's not arrogant at all. :rolleyes: Your answer that you came up with for me (thanks again), comes from the same ignorant, judgemental place that calling this or any  group of people dumb and ignorant, oh and stupid now, thanks to CipherHost, without knowing them. Regarding your/my answer, it is wrong and the answer is, of course not. I wasn't trying to debate the issue here in this thread and that was NEVER my intent. My point was to try and show how unfair it is to take a group of people and lump them into any category (like dumb ignorant and stupid, thanks again to CipherHost for that last one (a smattering of applause)) although I have several other words, other than unfair, I feel describe it much better. If you REALLY want to know the answer to your initial question and weren't just trying to prove your intellectual muscle, please, just look it up yourself. The info is out there. I'm not going to do your leg work for you. It's time I don't have. If you have the time, here's a sincere suggestion. Don't focus on the conclusions of people but focus on what the raw data they used to come to their conclusion is. From both sides. In fact assume everyone is wrong and just use the data. Then come to your own conclusion. If you don't come to the same conclusion as me, I won't call or THINK you are dumb, ignorant, unGodly, goin' ta hell or anything else. I try very hard not to judge anyone. At the very least, not do it without knowing them or seeing what they are doing. I think most, if not all of the people, on this forum have intelligence. Especially since they can get these Line 6 gizmo's to operate. :D So at least try and understand why I, my friends (one a MENSA member and another about to graduate summa lollipop laude) and others can still think this and be educated. I understand why you would come to the conclusions, regarding this subject, I think you've come to. Just asking for the same respect. I don't know what else to say. You either think calling people you don't know dumb and/or ignorant and/or stupid is itself, dumb, ignorant and stupid as well as unfair or not. I think it is and was trying to express that. Mostly because I was part of the group the original poster said was dumb and/or ignorant. I was just standing up for myself and my friends after being insulted. If that's wrong, I don't wanna be right. (Name that tune!!!). I will continue to do so. If you want to discuss this further please PM me. That's how I should have responded in the first place and instead wound up getting this thread hihacked. Lesson learned. So I won't respond to anything else here regarding this and will use PM any time this kind of thing comes up. PM me though, if you still want to continue discussing this. I'm done here and apologize for perpetuating this.

...lots of stuff

Duuuude. I really think you overreacted to what I wrote. That's why the "if" was there. I understand you're probably sick of defending your position. Happy to hear both sides of a discussion/debate. Didn't mean to cause you such consternation. More importantly, this thread is pretty pointless anyway given that no-one has an official date outside Line 6, so hijacking in this case is also pretty meaningless. But, it fills in some time while we're jonesing for the Helix.

• Upvote 1

“In this replacement Earth we’re building they’ve given me Africa to do and of course I’m doing it with all fjords again because I happen to like them, and I’m old fashioned enough to think that they give a lovely baroque feel to a continent. And they tell me it’s not equatorial enough. Equatorial!†He gave a hollow laugh. “What does it matter? Science has achieved some wonderful things of course, but I’d far rather be happy than right any day.â€

-Douglas Adams

• Upvote 1

(one a MENSA member and another about to graduate summa lollipop laude)

I think the Line6 forum censoring (lollipop) software needs to learn some Latin!

Such as:

-lollipop Laude

-Summa lollipop Laude

-Magna lollipop Laude

-lollipop Honores

-Egregia lollipop Laude

-Maxima lollipop Laude

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_honors

Duuuude. I really think you overreacted to what I wrote. That's why the "if" was there. I understand you're probably sick of defending your position. Happy to hear both sides of a discussion/debate. Didn't mean to cause you such consternation. More importantly, this thread is pretty pointless anyway given that no-one has an official date outside Line 6, so hijacking in this case is also pretty meaningless. But, it fills in some time while we're jonesing for the Helix.

Thank you for that. I don't mind discussing/defending it at all. What I do mind is the name calling and assumptions about who I, and my friends, are and what our intelligence, education, etc.are. I'm getting so tired of hearing it I'm starting to stand up to it. Tryin' to educate people about how wrong and outdated that kind of thinking is. That's what it was all about. I think in my enthusiasm (for lack of a better word) I sounded a bit upset when I'm not really. No, really I'm not. ;)

But I feel bad about hijacking the thread. So 'nuff of that. 

I am VERY excited about the Helix. I know every G.A.S. related guitar player (that's me) has said this or something to this affect but this is the first time I've said this (how many this's was that?).  I think this is the unit I've been looking for my whole guitar life. If it sounds as good as it has so far. I was really impressed with the Univibe.

I am curious though. There's some talk about how sturdy it is (have you seen the video where it's kicked around in a parking lot?). It's been banged around but I want to know, has it had a beer spilled on it? Has the screen itself had something dropped on it? Just how sturdy we talkin' about here? How many drunks would it take to stop it from working.

My GAS history? Glad you asked.

Alesis Qudraverb

Peavey Rockmaster

Sans Amp PSA-1

Digitch GSP 2101

Ampulator

Alesis 3630 compressor

Rockman Distortion Gen

Then I decided to try Line 6

Pod XT

Pod XT Live

Pod XT Bass Live

Pod X3

Pod HD500

Pod HD500X

Variax 500

Variax 5 sting bass

JTV69 Variax

JTV89 Variax (on it's way)

A bunch of pedals.

Coming Next?...Helix.(probably)

I am gonna wait a bit to see what the reviews are when they come out. But so far it'll  be in my semi near future.

But I feel bad about hijacking the thread. So 'nuff of that. 

I am curious though. There's some talk about how sturdy it is (have you seen the video where it's kicked around in a parking lot?). It's been banged around but I want to know, has it had a beer spilled on it? Has the screen itself had something dropped on it? Just how sturdy we talkin' about here? How many drunks would it take to stop it from working.

No problemo Dude! 

as far as the side debate +1 on the religion side for me (really I don't believe in religion I do believe in a relationship) and truly either side your on takes a certain amount of "FAITH" remember a theory is not a fact until its proven. so if we can all just "agree to disagree" and get back to something we all agree on and that is the Helix has not come just yet and we want it NOW!!! LOL :D  :lol:  ;)

as for my previous GAS:

mid to late 80's:

MXR Distortion+

ibanez 7 band EQ

ibanez Flanger 

DOD stereo chorus

DOD Noise Gate

Marshal JCM800 Lead 100 Watt

Peavey 412 cab

90's thru 2011:

ART SGX 2000 EXP w/ X-15 MIDI foot control

Sonitec (by QSE) 175 watts per channel stereo power amp

2- 412 Peavey cabs

2012 to current:

Avid Eleven Rack 

EPSI ver. c (ir loader)

Beringer FCB1010 MIDI foot control

Line 6 M20D 2- L3S's 2- L3T's 3- L2M's

Line 6 Helix Pre ordered 8-9-15 B)

As for the sturdy Part ....

Get your Helix from GC and get the "pro coverage" or MF and get the "Gold coverage" and it covers every thing (well, except being stolen)  ;) even a mad spouse with a hammer :o  you can't beat that  and if you want being stolen to be covered talk to your insurance guy and you would be surprised to know that you can cover just about anything no matter how old and for as long as you want.(year after year)

I routinely see a lot of people that don't know the scientific meaning of the word 'Theory', which is totally different than its meaning in everyday language (which would be closer to what is known as a Hypothesis in science). Just wanted to clarify that :-).

Also, really looking forward to having Helix here with me after watching the Captain and Chappers video. So excited!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'll toss my two cents in on this one.  Just got off the phone with sweetwater a little while ago ordering a mixer and happened to get on the topic of the Helix and when the different versions were going to be available.  I heard the same thing that it seems a lot of you heard.  1st part of October is when the rep I talked to said they are expecting to see them for both the floor and rack model.  Take it for what you will.  Personally I hope SOME of you guys get it before then as I am waiting on the reviews from y'all before I pull the trigger on mine.

Lol...round and round we go.

Thankfully, despite all the speculation and wild guessing, there is one thing that's crystal clear. NOBODY KNOWS when it's coming.

Dirty little secret time: salesmen lie. A lot. It's protocol. They want to keep you happy, and they want your money. Thus, they will continue to dangle whatever carrots they think are necessary to get/keep an order.

When it shows up on your porch, it's been released. There, all settled.

Lol...round and round we go.

Thankfully, despite all the speculation and wild guessing, there is one thing that's crystal clear. NOBODY KNOWS when it's coming.

Dirty little secret time: salesmen lie. A lot. It's protocol. They want to keep you happy, and they want your money. Thus, they will continue to dangle whatever carrots they think are necessary to get/keep an order.

When it shows up on your porch, it's been released. There, all settled.

Yup, all very true.  Just reiterating what was told to me.  Me personally I am salivating over hearing what all you guys say about it when y'all finally get to play with it so I can make my decision on whether it's worth the upgrade from my 500x.

Well I'll toss my two cents in on this one.  Just got off the phone with sweetwater a little while ago ordering a mixer and happened to get on the topic of the Helix and when the different versions were going to be available.  I heard the same thing that it seems a lot of you heard.  1st part of October is when the rep I talked to said they are expecting to see them for both the floor and rack model.  Take it for what you will.  Personally I hope SOME of you guys get it before then as I am waiting on the reviews from y'all before I pull the trigger on mine.

I'm pretty sure the floor and rack units aren't going to start shipping at the same time. Line 6 has been pretty up front about this from the get-go.