Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

L6 link question

tron2012

Hello, 

when i'm using my HD500X as main default soundcard device, I've noticed that it doesn't output any sound at the L6 LINK connector on the rear panel (connected to my StageSource L2T), I can listen to the sound only when I'm using the 1/4" OUT connectors , why?

Is it the same on the HELIX ?

Because of the order in which things are placed - the L6 Link Output can be at the end of the chain or before the cab, but the Computer USB Output (Input to the HD500) comes after it, as does the CD/MP3 which also doesn't get fed into the L6 Link.

The XLR outs do also get the USB output, but as a recent owner of a pair of L2t not having that as a USB output option is a bit restricting. You also can't feed an M20d mixer with a digital out from an HD500 which also seems a bit strange.

HELIX is a different game altogether and there is mention of being able to have USB FX loops running e.g. USB from Helix to Computer, through a VST back to Helix for say an Amp simulation, then bock over USB to computer to another VST then back to Helix before being output to the amplification system.  There might well be restrictions on how exactly this can be arranged - for example the USB in and out point may be at the ends of the paths, but the 4 paths can be arranged in series (32 blocks in a row) or in parallel (8 blocks each in 4 parallel paths) and probably 16 blocks in 2 paths - other combinations we might find out about when the manual appears (or somebody in the know contributes), but yes you can certainly output USB to L6Link but I don't know what compromises are required to achieve this  

• Upvote 1

So, the L6 Link Output can't output any sound when the HD500X is used as a soundcard. If I understand right, it will be possible only with the HELIX.

Another question is this : when I use the HD500X as a soundcard, can I have the sound output from 4 physical OUTS  at the same time? :   2 XLR + 2  1/4" jacks

With the same matter, how does it will be the difference compared with the HELIX ?

Also, I guess that the  HELIX will allows a fast and simple Reamping,right?

HD only supports stereo IN and OUT over USB, and the 1/4 and XLR are connected together - the only difference between them (apart from signal level) is that a single 1/4 connection gets summed L+R while XLR maintains stereo separation at all times.

So yes you can have sound output from the 4 physical outputs (6 if you include headphone L/R as well), but it will be the same stereo signal going to all outputs (except the 1/4 which will give L+R if only a single socket is used).

Helix we have been promised gives simple re-amping, but I haven't seen any demonstration of this or how the I/O is routed in practice; but I do know that 8 in/8 out USB has been promised which means that you can have 8 independent outputs from your computer.

The 1/4 outputs from the HD500 are mono unbalanced so there is no point using a TRS.

The HD500 can be used for re-amping.. with another soundcard.

There is no method by which you can take an unaffected input into the HD500 and send it over USB to be recorded while simultaneously listening to an effected signal without capturing the input before the HD500 or via the FX Loop (or I suppose monitoring a VST simulation of you can live with the latency)

There is no method by which the recording of the unaffected input can be fed back into the start of the HD500 signal chain without it coming from a separate soundcard, although the effected signal can be recorded via USB assuming your computer can cope with multiple sound devices