Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500 or HD500X?

Pubba50

Hey guys! :)

I want to get into these POD units as an alterative to my traditional rig setup. I'm a huge fan of Lincoln Brewster's tone (he used/uses the HD500, HD500X, & X3 Live) I think he uses the 500X now. He released HD500 patches awhile back.

I like the looks and extra features of the 500X for finding my own tone but how easy is it to process Lincoln's HD500 patches to the 500X? Also the HD500s are very cheap second hand so it's a very hard decision here. Any advice or recommendations? Cheers guys I'd really appreciate your info!

All 500 patches work in the 500X. Using HD edit you can transfer them directly. No converting neccesary. The 500X is pretty much just a 500 with more memory so you can use more stuff in your patches. Bottom line you are good to go. The 500X is slightly more robust but I would say if you don't think you will need the extra memory, save a dollar or two and get the 500.

I can give a ditto on the HD500 vs the HD500X but only on price. I don't hit the DSP wall too often but there are times when the extra would have been nice. One option is to try the HD500 and get used to the unit and see if its something you are going to stick with (its not for everyone). Learn the functions, editor and see if its for you. If you love it and find you need the extra DSP sell it and upgrade or keep it as backup.

-B

I will jump on an HD500X soon but my HD500 is still sounding not good but great.

I have gone back and forth with different modelers/ amps etc... but keep coming back to the HD500.

Finally sold my GT-10 that I used a lot but having to use external switches made me start not wanting to use it.

Also the cab models blow in the Boss units.

If you have a rig already I'd recommend to wait and see how Helix will impact the used HD500X prices (should be all clear around Xmas ;-)

While I do have an HD500 and can't complain about hitting the DSP limit, I have sporadic footswitch miss-function and I would be concerned that not all HD500X tones work in an HD500 (especially if they come from a well-known player that may have techs to tickle the last nuance out of his equipment).

For a hobby player like me flakey foot switches are no real problem, but I would hate to be on stage and those things don't work every time as you want them to ...

Martin

with the exception of the reverbs and pitch/harmony, its not the effects that eat up dsp, but the full amps.

with a dual amp and a couple of reverbs youre almost there. so better go for the x.

if you ever get a variax (and you never know until you get one) the 500x is not fully suited, better go for the x pro or the 500

dsp hungry effects can always be outsourced to exernal pedals.

with the exception of the reverbs and pitch/harmony, its not the effects that eat up dsp, but the full amps.

with a dual amp and a couple of reverbs youre almost there. so better go for the x.

if you ever get a variax (and you never know until you get one) the 500x is not fully suited, better go for the x pro or the 500

dsp hungry effects can always be outsourced to exernal pedals.

Could you explain what "if you ever get a variax ... the 500x is not fully suited"  means?

Thanks!

Hey thanks guys! Good advice. I'm not too much of an effects person so I don't think a DSP overload would be a problem cheers!

Get the HD500 then. I use the HD500 since it came out and had never a a problem with it. Also DSP Power only was a problem when testing out other peoples patches, but they where overloaded with effects anyway (for my taste).

I'd suggest to get the HD500 if you are planning to buy soon. If you have some time to look around you might be lucky to get a HD500x for quite the same price.

• 1 year later...

I recommend the HD500X unless you can find a steal on the 500.  It is the latest product and it is an upgrade over the 500. (more DSP and nicer footswitches)

I have the HD500X. I found a mint M13 on eBay. I run the M13 in the FX loop of the HD500X. No more DSP limits. :-)

Not everyone has problems with the DSP limit of the 500. We bring it up to new users the same as the masseuse says "your happy ending massage comes with a risk of death". 

They are just general disclaimers that the litigious society we live in has forced us to mention.