Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv69 HD Firmware

Downgraded my jtv69 from firmware 2.21 to 1.71 after having several issues when performing live.

First the Pickupselector switch didnt work as it should the pickup selected was random.

Then the Alt. tuning shifted on its own. This was happening during a live performance.

Downgraded to the Firmware the guitar came with 1.71

All models sounded fuller and much better.Also the acoustic was more realistic.

Alt tuning is better too .(no ghost tones )

What is wrong with the HD firmware?????

• Upvote 1

Downgraded my jtv69 from firmware 2.21 to 1.71 after having several issues when performing live.

First the Pickupselector switch didnt work as it should the pickup selected was random.

Then the Alt. tuning shifted on its own. This was happening during a live performance.

Downgraded to the Firmware the guitar came with 1.71

What is wrong with the HD firmware?????

Sounds like you may have had a bad install of the HD firmware. I've been using it for over two years now, and haven't had any issues.

As far as the differences in tones, there are definitely differences. One man's "fuller" is another's "muddy"... :)  Some people like the HD models better, some don't.

I'm using 1.9 for the same reason. The new ones sound very thin on my 89F, so you are not alone in that. When I tried 2.21 though I had not issues other than the tone sucked.

You think L6 intentionally crippled the new variax sounds maybe to make the Helix ones sound better?  I think the electric guitars sound good but the acoustics are kinda awful.  I'd hate to have to go 'backwards' to earlier versions to have better acoustic guitars. T'aint natural. :P

You think L6 intentionally crippled the new variax sounds maybe to make the Helix ones sound better?  

Not sure who this was directed at. IMO, No. I think they tried to improve it,  resuliting in more sensitivite Peizos. The problem with Peizos are each one of them is different. This is why I think some have sent multiple guitars back before finding the one they were satisfied with. On my guitar I think 2 particular peizos are really sensitive on certain notes. I adjusted the output etc... to compensate but none of those really solved the problem. Even purchased some new peizos directly and replaced one, which help but still didn't completely solve it. All this was lot of work for what is already an expensive guitar. Had I not loved the built of the instrument itself so much I would have likely sent it back and when a different route with it. I expect the next generation of Variax's will likely be Yamaha builds, which exactly why I made the jump from a old 500 to JTV. Yamaha makes a really good instrument but I don't think it will be on par with a Tyler design. Personally I didn't want to go the Ibanez route because it seems every shredder has one. I wanted something a bit different but in the same vein, and the flexability of the Variax is addicting even if it's not perfect.

it should also be noted that you can't use the old version of workbench with a pod hd500x or pro-x

Also be aware that firmware 1.7 is not compatible with Workbench HD. You should still be able to use the original Workbench, though.

I tried the 1.9 firmware too.but I did not like the acoustics in that.

1.71 is the best I think.

Workbench HD dont work on FW. earlier than 2.0 .

But I,ll rather stick with the old Workbench than have models that suck big time.

That said .

The old variax 500/700 dont show up in workbench using Windows 10

Have to use an old pc with Win7

I tried the 1.9 firmware too.but I did not like the acoustics in that.

1.71 is the best I think.

I just rolled back to the newest non-2.0 version. I think I might try going back to 1.71 as you did tonight. The acoustics in 1.9 your right are not great although I find them workable.

no... they aren't broke...

they (acoustic models) were changed in firmware 1.8x intentionally...

and all models were changed intentionally in 2.0+

some don't like them... and subjectively that's as right as anything...

but i'm also as right when i say they are crazy all the HD 2.x+ models are far superior... better dynamics and more authentic overall.

that's my opinion and it's every bit as subjectively valid as yours... 

spreading some sort of rumor that they are somehow broke... does not make that factual.

Was there some kind of technical reason as to why L6 'broke' the acoustic models in 2.6?

no... they aren't broke...

they (acoustic models) were changed in firmware 1.8x intentionally...

and all models were changed intentionally in 2.0+

some don't like them... and subjectively that's as right as anything...

but i'm also as right when i say they are crazy all the HD 2.x+ models are far superior... better dynamics and more authentic overall.

that's my opinion and it's every bit as subjectively valid as yours... 

spreading some sort of rumor that they are somehow broke... does not make that factual.

I dunno.... I did buy this variax/hd combo more for the acoustic and alt tunings thing. I do like the electric models but currently in agreement with those that say the acoustic models don't sound very good. In a weird way my Roland VG8 acou models come off sounding better..... and that's an 'old' box.

My own acoustic/electric guitars sound pretty good through the HD500x. I imagine the acoustic model presets need to be tweaked in the same way that all the electric guitar presets need to be, being that presets in general are regarded as awful by most in these kinds of devices (every manufacturer is guilty of this, not just L6)

In that case maybe I need to tweak the acoustic patches as well..... ya know what.... I should try the Variax straight into powered pa speakers... no HD.... and listen to the acoustic models straight out of the guitar. Theoretically that should give me the pure modeled tone from the Variax rather than going into some HD acoustic preset that's probably just awful in the first place.

You can use an empty patch on the HD to pass the signal through unaffected.

The treatment can mean all the difference - have you heard the current firmware samples on the L6 site?

http://uk.line6.com/variax-modeling-guitars/sound/

Admittedly that was through a Helix

Do you know if there are Line6 clips for the JTV models using an HD500(x) and if the patches they used are available for download? 

My opinion is that the old acoustic models had a bit more piezo quack inherent in them and people have gotten so used to hearing the sound of a piezo pickup on an acoustic, that they kind of prefer. The extra mid focus can actually make it easier to make an acoustic stand out while playing live. A miced acoustic is a bit more of a challenge to mix, and if you haven't spent time recording one, it might actually sound a little odd. All I can say is that I've done some A/B testing on my own with micing an acoustic and listening through headphones, and the HD acoustic models are very close. I also think that to have the Variax acoustics sound good you need something of a light touch. You just wail on it like you would real acoustic.

In that case maybe I need to tweak the acoustic patches as well..... ya know what.... I should try the Variax straight into powered pa speakers... no HD.... and listen to the acoustic models straight out of the guitar. Theoretically that should give me the pure modeled tone from the Variax...

What's in the rest of your rig? Are you running FRFR, or into a guitar amp? If it's the latter, the acoustics are never gonna sound right no matter what you do...guitar amps are just too mid-rangey for acoustic tones. Even a real acoustic guitar through a traditional guitar amp will generally sound like crap.

Thanks for your help fellas. :)

I have a pair of EV ZLX12P's and Alto Truesonic 12" and 10" powered speakers. Yes, to be fair I should start an acoustic patch from scratch and see what happens.

There is one annoying aspect to modeled acoustics played on electric guitars.... is that the piezos.... and roland GK pickups as well with their VG acoustic modeling... really pronounce fret noise of the strings.... unless of course you use heavy gauge strings and higher acoustic guitar type action. That I don't want to do because I do want the playability and action of an electric.

I have a new Warmoth neck I need to attach which may help somewhat. However, outside of feeling and playing much better than the stock neck, them strings still want to be rattling against the frets with a low electric type action.

OTOH, since I have many other electrics that cover all the Variax's models, I could set the JTV69 up as more focusing on acoustic models with heavier strings and a bit higher action......but...  I dunno, lol

I always hated how the typical piezo pickup on acoustic guitars sounded...thin, tinny, brittle. At least that's how my acoustics purchased several dog lifetimes ago. However this past year I bought a couple Epiphone acoustic/eclectrics and damn if they've really come a long way in making an amplified acoustic sound pretty much exactly how an acoustic sounds

The JTV is not designed to play with Acoustic strings.  If you play it hard, you will get fret rattle that sounds awful.  There are plenty of examples online of  good players playing a JVT with acoustic models that sound very good.  You have to adapt your playing style.  If you don't want to do that then get an Acoustic and play that.

The JTV is not designed to play with Acoustic strings.  If you play it hard, you will get fret rattle that sounds awful.  There are plenty of examples online of  good players playing a JVT with acoustic models that sound very good.  You have to adapt your playing style.  If you don't want to do that then get an Acoustic and play that.

Misunderstanding.  I didn't say putting acoustic guitar strings on the JTV... I mean't a heavier set of electric git strings. :)

I will have to say that I did replace the neck on my jtv69.cause the neck on my guitar and many others are useless and not playable at all.too narrow at the nut and timeglass shaped so hi and low E string keep falling off the fretboard.

The quality is not up to the price on these guitars.

That said I put on a fender strat neck and adjusted the neck and bridge and now it plays very well.

Also put on a tremolo locking device to keep it in tune when using the vib arm.

Hope the variax standard is better quality.