Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Are people happy with the Firehawk?

nremondelli

I agree with silverhead about buying for the features at a point in time, but here are my thoughts on the FH.

The iOS interface iPad or iPhone initially looks pretty slick however after a period of use, I feel that they didn't think through the usability adequately. Saving edited patches is just one example, but there are others such as the Music section which clearly is still buggy when it loads one of my patches mid-song without me telling it to.

However, all in all, it's a great product for the money. I'm still amazed at the number of guitarists I know who won't embrace this technology (amp modelling), instead thinking a single amp plus a myriad of clunky pedals is the way to go. With the FH, I can sound like whoever I want with a tap of a switch. In stereo. It's the definition of true versatility.

I know the OP was a long time ago - but since it has bubbled up - I will opine.  I am blown away by the sounds in this little box.  I have had mine for a few weeks and am more amazed every time I go to reproduce a sound.  I have created an ambient pad that is amazing - three delays stacked with a huge shimmer verb on top of that.  The HD Plexi amps are outstanding and it takes an OD pedal in front of the chain really well - very realistic compared to its analog.  We run DI at our church - so the reproduction live is exactly what I expect after setting the sounds in headphones.

There are bugs - and I HOPE there will be another patch to address and improve.  Laggy changes - so I try to have everything I need in one patch and just turn fx on and off.  The bluetooth is buggy.  The fx loop is not true bypass - so noise comes in when loop is off if you have a noisy pedal. Editing without a device is VERY cumbersome - and no desktop USB editing with the old software.  But if you bought it to play guitar - pretty much any song created since amplification and stringed instruments were invented - then you will be thrilled with this device and the incredible sounds it can create.

Agree.  I created nice sounds too.  Only remarks (I play with headphones)

- The stock patches sounds muddy.

- I have to boost upper mids / highs on EQ litteraly to the max on my new custom patches, as default amps settings sounds muddy too, in my opinion

- There's still a lag on footswitches.  It's very small, but it's there and it's annoying.  For example, stompboxes will enable a few milliseconds after you hit the footswitch.  Very annoying when playing fast songs.  I hope it will be fixed soon.  There's also a higher lag on bank changes, along with small sounds glitches.  (I have the latest firmware as I received a patched version Firehawk)

- Expression pedal should be able to tweak more settings.  (ex.: pitch on the "Whammy" effect.  Right now, I can only assign mix % to the expression pedal, which is a bit useless.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I control pitch with the expression pedal, not sure what you're doing wrong

How do you set this up ?  I look into the whammy pedal configuration, and the only setting I could map the padal to was the mix%.  How do you move the expression pedal function to another setting ?

• 3 weeks later...

My first two hours with this machine has been trying to set up the Bluetooth so I can edit the preset sounds.

An hour of the wheel of death on my 6 week old iphone 6 trying to get it to connect. Then downloaded the software on my PC and thats not working either, another hour?

I then got a message saying on my iphone to say I need to update my software through my PC and its going to take 2 hours to set up!!!! I down loaded the updater which asks to select a device but it doesn't seem to regognise my device or my phone?

I never would have bought this if I had known how long I'd be spending trying to make it work.

I'm no stranger to this type of thing but am losing patience and might just send it back. What is the point in making things so difficult to adjust and trying to be too clever?

The PoD XT was miles easier to set up and the sounds just worked immediatley. 

Getting pretty frustrated!

PS Another question; Why does the delay function pitch bend the note when you change the time on the tap button?

I don't really know where its going wrong for you, my set up was really straight forward but it was so long ago I'm afraid I can't be of much help.

Regarding the delay warping sound, all delays behave this way when you change the time parameter in real time while playing, some players use it to good effect to create ufo sounds , most of the time you never hear it because a song usually starts and ends at the same tempo

I then got a message saying on my iphone to say I need to update my software through my PC and its going to take 2 hours to set up!!!! I down loaded the updater which asks to select a device but it doesn't seem to regognise my device or my phone?

You need to download and install the latest driver for Firehawk, and then download and install the Line 6 Updater program. After installing both pieces connect your Firehawk to your computer via usb and run the Updater program. This should update the firmware on your Firehawk device in a matter of minutes, not hours.

Hi Jamiegodo,

You have posted your question in the "Are you happy with the FX" thread on purpose !

One can easily understand how frustrating it can be when you have to spend few hours to get your brand new device up and running !

I have red some posts suggesting to line6 to remove the possibility of updating the FX firmware thru bluetooth. It is a good suggestion because it never works properly. In addition, one can be surprised that a brand new device is still delivered with the intial firmware which is 2 years old...

Never the less, because the thread is "are you happy with the FX", my answer is YES. If you still have patience enough (and/or some support from this forum or from Line6) you will not be disappointed with the sound you get from the FX and how easy and flexible it is  to create tones and use them as well in home situation as rehearsal or gig situation.

Get updated and have fun  :)

Bernard

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
4 minutes ago, dscott1 said:

is there an app for windows? for firehawk remote

No, the device only has the android or apple app. Also, to answer your earlier question from August, the Firehawk has both updated and legacy Line 6 effects within it.

The HD effects represent the redone effects and the thinking is that they are closer to the original effects they are trying to imitate than the non HD versions. However, the non HD versions are still done well and may be worth taking a look, especially in areas where no HD version exists.