Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The Continuing Saga Of The Dreaded Coffin Sheilding... Or Is It?

About this time two years ago, I took my Variax 600 apart.   I completely sheilded the coffin with liquid electrical "tape".   It worked great, for a while.  Then the all the patch banks shifted over one and anything below Special would have something sounding similar to flipping the 5 way really quickly between patches, no matter what position it was on.   Per the advice of my tech, I run the thing exclusively on the power supply.  At rehearsals and very short gigs, I use the batteries.   I have noticed that everytime I use the power supply, I get the problem detailed above.  When I use the batteries; not one problem.   I know it seems as simple as, "Doctor it hurts when I do this"  "Well don't do that",  but I actually use the power supply A/B switch to swith acoustics direct to the board... I also have a Roland GK-2a pickup on it and have bound together the TRS cable and the 13 pin cable to run the GR-30 and the Variax.    True, I could get another 13 pin, or take the TRS/13pin Snake apart, but if I remember correctly, there was a discussion some time back that faulty power supplies were causing problems similar to the coffin sheilding problem.  If that is the case, it seems a spare power supply would be in order.   Just curious if anyone has had a similar problem.  Thanx.

• 3 weeks later...

The input jack in the power supply or the guitar itself?  I'm assuming you mean the guitar.  If the ring connection of the jack is bad, that would make sense.  I'll have to check it out.  

• 1 month later...

Ever since I posted this, I have not used the power supply.  The Vax has worked flawlessly... until a few weeks ago.  It then began doing the same thing I described.   I opened up the input jack plate... everything looks fine, but I really don't know what's going on.   Nothing is loose and nothing looks damaged or burnt.   This, more than likely will require a trip to the service center...   I just have to make sure all my other guitars are ready to take over.  You don't realize how attached you get to taking just one guitar instead of 3-6.