Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

USB Interface for Variax 700 not working

I recently bought a used 700, and I bought the USB interface from Sweetwater.  I downloaded and installed Line 6 Monkey, Variax Workbench, and Workbench HD.  I can get Windows to install the driver and the LED on the USB side of the interface is solid green.  The LED on the Variax side of the interface is flashing red.  As far as I can tell everything is connected correctly.  I am plugged in to the XPS power supply with the supplied TRS cable (the LED on the XPS goes from amber to green when I plug in and the Variax is coming through my amp).  The USB is plugged in to my PC, and the CAT5 cable that came with the interface is solidly connected to the interface and the Variax.  I tried this on 2 different Windows PCs, one running Vista and one running Windows 7.

I called Sweetwater for support and they called Line 6.  When they didn't get a return call from Line 6 after 3 days, they sent me a second interface.  This one behaves exactly the same.  

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks.

Look at the pins in the VDI connector on the Variax.  Quite often, they are damaged.  Easy to do by trying to plug a 1/4 inch cable into the wrong place by feel.  Your VDI interface is not making connection if your guitar is powered up and the light is still red.  IT should immediately go green when the connection is made.

• Upvote 1