Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New EP - All Guitars are HD500X

gunpointmetal

My band is releasing a new 4-track EP on September 4th and we recently posted a track to SoundCloud. All guitars were done through the HD500X via USB into Reaper. I didn't mix it, so I can't verify, but the mix engineer told me post processing was a high pass below 100Hz and some light room reverb.

The Ancient Art of Auto-Erotic Asphyxiation ft. David Carradine

• Upvote 1

Well, that was interesting. Not exactly my kind of music, but it really does a good job of portraying a sense of the capability of the human mind to display chaotically neurotic behavior, contrary to what David Carradine (may he rest in peace) says at the beginning. Lol.

One thing that stood out for me is how everything seems kind of scrunched together, too much trying to compete for a single sound space. Maybe it's supposed to be like that? It does get better the second half when the panning effect shows up, which is really cool. It relieves some of the hellish tension built up in the first half, exchanging it for something that's merely nightmarish. Is that effect done with guitar?

My band is releasing a new 4-track EP on September 4th and we recently posted a track to SoundCloud. All guitars were done through the HD500X via USB into Reaper. I didn't mix it, so I can't verify, but the mix engineer told me post processing was a high pass below 100Hz and some light room reverb.

The Ancient Art of Auto-Erotic Asphyxiation ft. David Carradine

HAHA - That was awesome… Steve Vai would be proud.. The tones are very cool and like the use of the pitch bend pedal (if that's what it is). Live drums or programmed? 

Thanks for the kind words guys!

HAHA - That was awesome… Steve Vai would be proud.. The tones are very cool and like the use of the pitch bend pedal (if that's what it is). Live drums or programmed? 

This track actually doesn't have any pitch effects running (as far as I can remember) just some purposely out of tune bending near the beginning. Our bassist tunes down an octave from standard, and my guitar goes down to standard bass E, so we are moving a lot of air without any pitch effects. The drums were recorded live and then the kick was replaced with a set of samples taken from the kit we recorded with before we buried it under blankets to keep it out of the overheads.

Well, that was interesting. Not exactly my kind of music, but it really does a good job of portraying a sense of the capability of the human mind to display chaotically neurotic behavior, contrary to what David Carradine (may he rest in peace) says at the beginning. Lol.

One thing that stood out for me is how everything seems kind of scrunched together, too much trying to compete for a single sound space. Maybe it's supposed to be like that? It does get better the second half when the panning effect shows up, which is really cool. It relieves some of the hellish tension built up in the first half, exchanging it for something that's merely nightmarish. Is that effect done with guitar?

You pretty much nailed the idea. Beginning has at least three guitars most of the time, and is very "tight" harmonically, where as the back half opens up to a straight melodic minor tonality. There is a keyboard track under the rhythm guitar during the build up and the fast waltz-feel riff, the break where the drums lay off is three guitars on the main melody with a keyboard pad working with the bass.

• 3 weeks later...