Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Any alternatives for Line 6 UX1?

If you've been following my posts, you'll see that the Toneport UX1 no longer works correctly with Windows 10, Audacity and Max/Max4Live.  I'm out...Now soliciting suggestions for a better USB vendor than Line 6.  

Not looking for anything fancy - line in/mic in/ASIO - and oh yes, drivers that get updated.  

Thanks!

Do you have the stand-alone version of PodFarm, or did your version come with the UX1?

I haven't heard specifically of ANY audio interface manufacturers that have released Win10 drivers.  As to interfaces, there's a slew of available devices out there from Focusrite, Tascam, M Audio, Steinberg ...

I'm just as frustrated as you are. And as far as I recall the same scenario played out when windows 8 was released. UX1 didn't work correctly for weeks or even months.

Line6 seems to be a company that is "reality-resistent". Windows 10 was released 20 days ago yes, but it was announced a year ago with previews being released for developers ever since. So Line6 has only themselves to blame for not getting their drivers ready just in time for the official Win10 release.

Maybe it's a hell on earth to keep drivers updated for so many products and maybe it's expensive but that's really just to bad. If a company want lots of customers and keep them happy forever then updating product drivers for new OS version at release date is good business and a blessing for the accounting department in the long run.

Now answering your question: IK multimedia has some nice alternatives but my guess is that they to are not 100% Win10 ready at the moment. 

• Upvote 1

I've checked several other manufacturers.  I own several alternatives to Line 6, including interfaces from Avid (ElevenRack), Focusrite (Scarlett 18i/8), and IKMultimedia (I've forgotten which one atm, since it isn't currently part of my recording setup), and I've checked all of their web sites for Windows 10 compatibility, and none of them are touting themselves as being "Windows 10 Ready."  I've held back from upgrading to Win 10 just for those reasons.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thanks for your replies - I've since moved on to a Scarlett Solo floor sample - and have disabled my internal soundcard (again).  The UX1 goes back into the drawer where I picked it up a few months ago and said "hmmm, why is THIS here???" - now I know.  In fact, it will be stored under the Behringer USB thing I may need to pull out if/when I need a stereo in (or I may just go for something higher on the Focusrite foodchain.  

My apologies to BigChas32 for the negative feedback - that was a mistake/typo click.  I went with your solution although came to that conclusion myself on the 18th.

• 2 months later...

Sorry - but that made me laugh. Dumping on Line 6 for not being ready for Win 10, then recommending an alternative manufacturer that.... wait for it....is also not ready.

I'm sorry that I made you laugh. That was not my intention. Anyway I did not recommend any alternative​​​s. I just mentioned one alternative manufacturer while at the same time questioning their ability to keep their drivers updated. In other words: IK Multimedia probably is no better than Line6 when it comes to keeping their drives updated but maybe he could give them a shot anyway. 

​To be fair I admit my answer was somewhat unclear and yes a bit harsh towards Line6.

Thanks for your replies - I've since moved on to a Scarlett Solo floor sample - and have disabled my internal soundcard (again).  The UX1 goes back into the drawer where I picked it up a few months ago and said "hmmm, why is THIS here???" - now I know.  In fact, it will be stored under the Behringer USB thing I may need to pull out if/when I need a stereo in (or I may just go for something higher on the Focusrite foodchain.  

My apologies to BigChas32 for the negative feedback - that was a mistake/typo click.  I went with your solution although came to that conclusion myself on the 18th.

So how is Scarlett Solo vs UX1? Personally i like like my UX1 for one reason only (not the drivers - they still suck). The ability to record a dry signal while at the same time getting the processed signal outputted through my stereorack. Is that possible with the scarlett solo? And how about their drivers?