Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Stereo Output Split

leesteel

Here's my latest challenge. I am trying to feed my clean Variax signal into a harmonizer to trigger vocal harmonies. My effected Variax signal goes direct to the PA. Looking for suggestions as to the best way to accomplish this. I always use a mono output. The attached picture is the only thing I can figure out right now. Any thoughts? My next question would be, is the top representing LEFT and the bottom representing RIGHT? And once the signal reaches the mixer at the end, assuming 100%L and 100%R, will the clean Variax signal be isolated from the effects chain on its output? Also hoping that this will have no impact on my current sound. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

clean.png

The first FX block in your setup defeats your purpose because it causes both Inputs to be fed into both Path A and Path B (which are both stereo paths - not L/R).

Try this setup:
http://line6.com/customtone/tone/217206/

Adjust the FX and amp selections in each path but don't restructure the preset. Leave the mixer settings as they are. You can select Variax for both inputs and the signals will be processed completely independently and fed separately to the L (processed signal to your PA) and R (dry signal to your vocal harmonizer) outputs as mono outputs.

Yes. That should send the dry Variax signal out the R audio output and the processed signal out the L. Both signals will be mono, so avoid using any stereo FX in Path A.

Worth noting here is that there is no FX block before the paths split. This ensures that the two Inputs are kept separate throughout the signal chain. Input 1 (only) is routed to Path A and Input 2 to Path B. In your previous setup the presence of the first FX block, before the paths split, routed both Inputs to both Paths.

That's not working... This is my current setting..

split.png

I'm getting everything you see through the RIGHT side and NOTHING on the LEFT SIDE. Tried adding the acoustic amp to the left side and still nothing. The only way I can get anything to come through the left side is to put the noise gate at the junction of the input as in my first picture. Then I get clean, unaffected guitar on the left and my fx chain on the right.

Yes. That should send the dry Variax signal out the R audio output and the processed signal out the L. Both signals will be mono, so avoid using any stereo FX in Path A.

Worth noting here is that there is no FX block before the paths split. This ensures that the two Inputs are kept separate throughout the signal chain. Input 1 (only) is routed to Path A and Input 2 to Path B. In your previous setup the presence of the first FX block, before the paths split, routed both Inputs to both Paths.

I'm not sure if the 300-700 Variax models work this way, but...

If I am using just the VDI cable with my JTV with the patch in post #5, Input 1 set to Guitar+Aux, that would prevent me from getting a signal to Path A.

You are correct, sorry, I took the picture in the middle of a frustrated session of making changes. I had both inputs set to Guitar+Variax as shown in post #3. 

Glad it's working for you. Sorry that I caused you some frustration. Offhand I can't explain why you were getting no signal from the unaffected path without the noise gate in front. But since you've now got what you want I guess there's no point in worrying about it.

Glad it's working for you. Sorry that I caused you some frustration. Offhand I can't explain why you were getting no signal from the unaffected path without the noise gate in front. But since you've now got what you want I guess there's no point in worrying about it.

Thanks again,,,, every little bit helps.

as far as I know, the only difference in the two patches is:

- With the noise gate, it will split and send either or both inputs to both paths equally. 

- Without the noise gate, each path requires it's own input (input 1 goes to path A, input 2 goes to path B).  No input set, no signal passed.

However, using a noise gate on your clean path may have a negative effect on the amount of signal that gets through.  You are probably better off without it to allow the full signal strength to pass through.

I suspect the relatively high mixer output setting (+8db) might also be contributing. This level on the wet path might require a relatively low overall Master output level. This, in turn, might result in the dry path having a very low output level - perhaps so low that it's not being heard/detected?

If you're interested in testing this, put the noise gate back in Path B, turn Path B output to 0db in the mixer (leaving Path A at +8db), and increase the device Master Volume.

• 3 weeks later...

you can have 2 independent stereo outs:

put the fx loop just in front of the mixer in either path.  mute that path`s volume in the mixer.  this is 1 stereo channel on the fx loop send. 

pan the other path to center in the mixer. this is the 2nd stereo  out from 1/4, line out and xlr out.

fx loop return is not being used, but could be fed anything, like the return from a daw, if using the pod`s spdif dry out