Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

*Update* installed the Warmoth Vintage Modern neck on a JTV69

Hi...

Just wondering...  outside of drilling the holes, did the neck need anything unusual done to it to make it fit?  The one I have to install fits nice in the pocket.

However, I am thinking specifically if the heel end curvature needed any modification or was it fine as it is?

thanks

Hi...

Just wondering... outside of drilling the holes, did the neck need anything unusual done to it to make it fit? The one I have to install fits nice in the pocket.

However, I am thinking specifically if the heel end curvature needed any modification or was it fine as it is?

thanks

Neck pocket specs are identical. Only difference is that slightly rounded outer corner (it's squared off on a Strat)...but it makes no difference in playability for me, I'm used to a Strat's dimensions at the heel anyway.

Mine fit like a glove...needed nothing but the holes drilled. I have two other Warmoth necks. Before I ordered this one, I pulled one off one of my Strats to see if it would work. That one dropped right in as well, and that neck is about 15 years old, so I'd say their stuff is quite consistent.

Neck pocket specs are identical. Only difference is that slightly rounded outer corner (it's squared off on a Strat)...but it makes no difference in playability for me, I'm used to a Strat's dimensions at the heel anyway.

Mine fit like a glove...needed nothing but the holes drilled. I have two other Warmoth necks. Before I ordered this one, I pulled one off one of my Strats to see if it would work. That one dropped right in as well, and that neck is about 15 years old, so I'd say their stuff is quite consistent.

Thanks.  :) 

I ask because I noticed a very slight difference where the last fret sits in relation to the body between the stock and the warmoth..... maybe a 64th of an inch or smaller.  Could be that the fret wire is different or something. Don't think I'll have an intonation problem

Thanks. :)

I ask because I noticed a very slight difference where the last fret sits in relation to the body between the stock and the warmoth..... maybe a 64th of an inch or smaller. Could be that the fret wire is different or something. Don't think I'll have an intonation problem

I'd expect to have to intonate any guitar that gets a new neck...something is bound to be a little out of whack. Also, a brand new neck that's never had tension on it is gonna move, and will take a little while to settle in. Couple of days later, and you'll probably be adjusting things again. And it's a floating bridge, which makes things even goofier.

Hell, changing nothing but the string gauge and action will generally require minor adjustments...

I'd expect to have to intonate any guitar that gets a new neck...something is bound to be a little out of whack. Also, a brand new neck that's never had tension on it is gonna move, and will take a little while to settle in. Couple of days later, and you'll probably be adjusting things again. And it's a floating bridge, which makes things even goofier.

Hell, changing nothing but the string gauge and action will generally require minor adjustments...

Oh yeah, I do all my own setups.  :)

Just hoping I don't find a bridge saddle that needs to be brought more forward or back than what the bridge allows with the new neck.

I generally don't float bridges. If a string does pop it'll stay enough in tune, lol

• 3 weeks later...

Finally decided to install new neck myself today. Checking out how others went about it, I C clamped the new neck in the pocket. I the used the screws to tap marks into the neck where I'm gonna drill. Made small sized drill holes for guides. Finally finished off with 1/8 bit to proper depth.

Even though Warmoth says it cuts nut slots they were small and needed to be widened and cut to proper depth. That done, everything seems ok. 

The vintage/modern neck plays and feels great. I got stainless steel frets for the first time ever. Oddly the acoustic models which to me sounded atrocious and all quacky with the stock neck sound a million times better with this new neck even though I have it strung with 9's and low action.

Again, it begs the question.... who is this james tyler and why was he allowed within miles of any sort piece of wood.  :D

addendum....  omg, everything sounds better. line 6..... you should be ashamed. rebate everyone with a jtv $300.  :lol:

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the club!  A quality neck with sane dimensions does indeed make a big difference. 

Thank you! Absolutely!. I'm sold!  :D

by the by...  how you like it up in burlington?  i was up in plattsburg a couple weeks ago looking for real estate in the area. was googling at vt in the past but the property taxes seemed quite a bit more unfortunately.

Finally decided to install new neck myself today. Checking out how others went about it, I C clamped the new neck in the pocket. I the used the screws to tap marks into the neck where I'm gonna drill. Made small sized drill holes for guides. Finally finished off with 1/8 bit to proper depth.

Even though Warmoth says it cuts nut slots they were small and needed to be widened and cut to proper depth. That done, everything seems ok.

The vintage/modern neck plays and feels great. I got stainless steel frets for the first time ever. Oddly the acoustic models which to me sounded atrocious and all quacky with the stock neck sound a million times better with this new neck even though I have it strung with 9's and low action.

Again, it begs the question.... who is this james tyler and why was he allowed within miles of any sort piece of wood. :D

addendum.... omg, everything sounds better. line 6..... you should be ashamed. rebate everyone with a jtv $300. :lol:

How do you like the stainless frets? I'm never going back to the traditional ones. Bending is effortless...such a difference.

How do you like the stainless frets? I'm never going back to the traditional ones. Bending is effortless...such a difference.

Oh yeah. Once I set the neck up it was like ... bang... off to the races.  :D

I was a bit worried in that, when SS frets started to show up some recent years back, there was this whole thing about how they might sound more 'clangy' or 'brighter'/'brittle', but that does not appear to be the case thankfully.

To keep cost down I went with a standard maple and rosewood board combo

Oh yeah. Once I set the neck up it was like ... bang... off to the races. :D

I was a bit worried in that, when SS frets started to show up some recent years back, there was this whole thing about how they might sound more 'clangy' or 'brighter'/'brittle', but that does not appear to be the case thankfully.

To keep cost down I went with a standard maple and rosewood board combo

I didn't notice any appreciable difference in tone, but playability is a whole other ballgame.

May as well splurge on the neck...you'll save a small fortune in fretwork over the years.

I didn't notice any appreciable difference in tone, but playability is a whole other ballgame.

May as well splurge on the neck...you'll save a small fortune in fretwork over the years.

lol, yeah... no turning back now.  ;)

A Warmoth neck will fit a jtv with no sweat.

I had mine superwide neck in for a few months now, and off it is of my gfuitar now and will be on ebay asap. 

Whilst I like the woodier acoustic tones ( Yes it does change the Tone folks please don't get me started with def tone theories) the fretsize are smaller than on my JTV. I made sure to choose 6150 which they claim was the standard Jumbo so I thought well, if my Jtv has got medium Jumbos I will be happier with Jumbo frets. What a bullshiet overpraised and overpriced company.   I sent them an email asking if they accidentally did a mistake (provided clear high reso photos of the fret )and OF Coarse they NEVER replied. It is a shame no other company anywhere in the world offers the same wide neck with competitive prices. I absolute hate when things are like that, can't wait for another company to give them a good run for the money

frets are like pants... one company's 42W/33L is another's 38W/30L.   :) 

​never was concerned over fret profiles meself.  piece of metal that stops a string at various places along the neck. probably got as many different frets as I got guitars.... never stopped me from plain' any of 'em.  

yeah, kind of more expensive but damn if the sucker don't feel and play effin' great 

I had mine superwide neck in for a few months now, and off it is of my gfuitar now and will be on ebay asap...

What a bullshiet overpraised and overpriced company. I sent them an email asking if they accidentally did a mistake (provided clear high reso photos of the fret )and OF Coarse they NEVER replied.

This is like throwing out the bed because you don't like the sheets. Why give up because they didn't answer one email? Make a phone call...perhaps a mistake was made. If it was their error, they'll probably re-fret it for you. It's a bit of a stretch to conclude that the entire company is worthless because they didn't answer an email, and even sillier to ditch a neck you like just because you didn't care for the fret-wire. Unless they're stainless, frets are a consumable item...you'd be replacing them eventually anyway.

Well, am just re-reading my post and trying hard to find where I said I didn't care about fret size.. Well I will try emailing again, but I doubt they will do anything

Huh? I never suggested that you didn't "care about" the frets. Of course you do...that's you're whole complaint. I said: "it doesn't make sense to toss an entire neck because you don't 'care for' the fret wire". If you "don't care for" something, it means you don't like it...very common phrasing.

As for email...not always the best way to get things done. I realize it's not fashionable anymore, but you might actually have to pick up the phone and speak to a human. It's a lot easier to ignore an email than a person.

They have a good reputation. Get on the phone and talk to them. Maybe you can return the neck and get what you want.

This too...I've had nothing but good experiences with them. I have several of their necks, one of which is now about 15 years old, and still pin-straight. It's on a Strat, and hasn't even developed the typical "hump" near the heel that so often plagues bolt-on necks.

It's worth a phone call.

Yeah, like these guys say.  

It's also probably how they get some of their supply of 'already in stock' items.... by returns.

btw.... did I mention already.... the neck smokes!!   :D

if there is a very minor quibble......  since the neck pocket on the body is rounded off rather than square as on fender bodies, one could be tempted to round off the the back of the neck more  on the high 'e' side