Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

used HD500-broken USB :-(

RogerH

I just bought a used HD500, but when I tried to connect to my computer I got an error message.
Did a quick internet search and I realized that this is a common problem on the HD500. The plastic center tap in the USB socket is gone, just 4 pins left...
I've seen youtube videos of how to replace the USB socket, but I'm not sure if I dare to do this by myself. I wonder if it's possible just to solder an usb cable directly on the four pins on the USB socket? I know that it wont be pretty, but I think its less chance for me to do any damage inside the POD.

Have anybody tried this solution?

Edit: I did it, and it's working great now.
Se my video of the repair https://youtu.be/mPw0h4D7FPg

• Upvote 1

There's probably already been damage inside the POD when the incident first occurred. Usually the fix to this problem requires a new chip inside the POD as well as a new USB socket.

It's best to take it to an authorized Line6 service center.

don't bother trying that.  Its really not that hard to replace the USB socket and if the controller chip isn't damaged you are good to go.  Better off leaving it alone than attempting what you describe...  I am going for the Helix too...

I seriously doubt the USB chip is bad. All it takers is a slight misalignment to break that center plastic piece. It is quite possible to replace the USB connector. I've done it myself, but I have quite a bit of experience. The hardest part was searching the floor for the springs that go BOING when you open the case.

I really want to uppgrade the firmvare. I think it's got version 1.3XX or something.

A lot of new features and sounds in the latest firmvare, so I think it's worth a try. 

I think my original plan is the easy way to check if the USB chip is broken. I just have to solder 4 wires to the pins, and no need for opening the POD. 

But thanks for your replies.

I really want to uppgrade the firmvare. I think it's got version 1.3XX or something.

A lot of new features and sounds in the latest firmvare, so I think it's worth a try.

I think my original plan is the easy way to check if the USB chip is broken. I just have to solder 4 wires to the pins, and no need for opening the POD.

But thanks for your replies.

Good idea. If it's already broken, you can't break the usb part "more". Let us know how it works for you. Pictures can help others in the future if you feel like adding them. It should be a simple procedure. No need to fork over way too much money to an "authorized repair center" that just pays a fee for a title and some manuals. Good luck!

Good idea. If it's already broken, you can't break the usb part "more". Let us know how it works for you. Pictures can help others in the future if you feel like adding them. It should be a simple procedure. No need to fork over way too much money to an "authorized repair center" that just pays a fee for a title and some manuals. Good luck!

I was gonna ask if that was the case. (If they pay a fee to be "Authorized")

• 2 weeks later...

I did not listen to those who told me it wouldn't work. 

I soldered a USB cable directly to the pins, and now everything works great. 

I downloaded the latest firmware, and POD HD edit works great. 

The solution ain't pretty, but it was easy and cheap.

Now I wonder if I sould buy the model packs.....

Edit: youtube link https://youtu.be/mPw0h4D7FPg

• Upvote 1

Now you know it was thew USB it is fairly easy to replace the one on the circuit board. A few screws. You dont have to remove the footswtch board. Just a few ribbon cables

But then again save yourself the hassle if all working okay. Well Done!

It's good to know that the USB chip is working.

But the solution I have now with a USB cable permanently attached isn't so bad (as you can see in my video), so I don't think I'll bother to do any more repairs.

The positive thing now, is that I always have a USB cable with me