Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

1sec total mix drop

Hi,

I've been using the stagescape for 2 months now and I'm using them with stagesource speakers. I've been experiencing a cut of 1sec quite a number of time.

The band will be playing with no problem, then suddenly, there is a 1sec cut, and it could happen 1-3 times in a row; like someone just pressed the mute button and turned it back on again. There's no rhyme or reason when it happened. It could right at the first set, or at the end of the show.

Any help? I only have this one mixer and I can't afford to send it back for warranty that would probably take weeks. 

As a possible... and possibly worth ruling out before jumping in to think you have a dud unit...

Whole mix disappearing for a split second is something that occurs whenever the speaker chain (when running L6 Link) is disturbed and the M20 has to re-emunerate the chain.

So, if possible, try having either an iPad remote or the main M20 L6Link assignments screen open. If the chain is distubed, you'll see the assignments screen disappear briefly then re-appear.

Possible simple causes for the chain being disturbed;

Degrading cable(s)

Loose fitting XLR connectors

Unstable power supply to one or more speakers

What you've described would fit the bill for any one of the above and cables/connections are the most common root cause of issues. That is not to say that there definitely isn't anything wrong with your speakers/mixer, but that it is most likely to be cables/connectors.

The L6Link chain is disturbed and the sound momentary disappears if *any* connection in the chain is lost.

We used to do a lot of "banging on about it" when it comes to cables and connections. A cable which is degrading will cause this type of drop out, and in particular, using standard mic cables which are degrading. So, my first suggestion is to check all your cables. Sometimes, a cable on it's way out *can* drop signal when it is trodden on, or nipped under or between other bits of gear.

Use decent quality AES/EBU cabling with your L6Link connections and avoid cheaper Chinese xlr connectors where fitting tolerances are not as tight on those for Neutrik and Switchcraft. Some of the cheap connectors vibrate when the speakers are being driven and can become temporaily disconnected, even though the plug looks like it is still plugged fully in. Surface oxidisation on connectors and poor solder joints can also have an impact.

Additionaally, try to avoid using standard mic cable for L6Link as although it works most of the time, it is more prone to causing issues than AES/EBU 110ohm cable

• Upvote 1