Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can the HD500X still hang?

chuskey

In light of the all the high end gear out there now, and with Helix looming, I thought I'd do a video asking the question whether or not good tone can be had on a budget.  

I'm actually quite happy with the tones I'm getting with my HD, though I'll still be getting Helix :)

Anyway here's the video, hope you guys enjoy!

• Upvote 3

The Hd500 will provide the same sound in October after the release of the Helix as it did in September before the release of the Helix, which is also the same sound it produced in March before the Helix was announced, which is the same sound it produced in 2010 when it was released (firmware updates excluded). If someone likes the sound it made when they bought it, they will still like the sound it makes. If someone didn't like the sound it made, they shouldn't have bought it. 

So, sure, the Pods can still 'hang'. 

Well done! Your tones are right up there with the Helix videos. I don't have the $ for Helix anyway but I have been thinking a lot this summer about my hd500/DT25 tones and they are right where I want them.

Thanks!  That's quite a compliment.  My whole point is that you don't have to drop a lot of money to get good tone these days.  The question "can the HD500X still hang" is kind of rhetorical.

Having said that, I REALLY hope to get a Helix by Christmas this year :D  But it will be out of want and not need.   

The Hd500 will provide the same sound in October after the release of the Helix as it did in September before the release of the Helix, which is also the same sound it produced in March before the Helix was announced, which is the same sound it produced in 2010 when it was released (firmware updates excluded). If someone likes the sound it made when they bought it, they will still like the sound it makes. If someone didn't like the sound it made, they shouldn't have bought it. 

So, sure, the Pods can still 'hang'. 

Totally agree.  Newer, bigger, better doesn't break what's been working for you.  I have to admit though I'm a sucker for the latest greatest.  Even though I'm totally satisfied with my tone I can just feel the urge to get a Helix growing everyday :)

Nice work, especially on the acoustic emulations. Pretty convincing!

Thanks!  I especially love the acoustic modeling.  I've done gigs where songs needed to be led by acoustic, but we didn't have an acoustic player that day.  Flip a switch and I've got it covered :)

I have to admit though I'm a sucker for the latest greatest...

That's what they're hoping, lol. Our entire economy is based on this now...

Will Helix be better, more versatile, etc? I'm sure it will, and I'd grab one if money were no object. But the world didn't go straight from the telegraph to smartphones, and I can't imagine that this is gonna be anywhere near that kind of technological leap, either. I can get great tones from my 500X today, and I'll still be able to do it tomorrow...

• Upvote 1

Nice. The acoustic sounds are especially pleasing.

Sometimes I wonder when Helix is more saturated among guitarists throughout the world, will the perception of the HD series change to its detriment? Will there be a bunch of people listening to HD produced clips and asking, "How come I didn't noticed that before? That's bad! Hey Bob, c'mere and listen to this, never noticed before, but now this kinda sucks!" Combine that with the tendency for people to play follow the leader and all kinds of comparison videos popping up, and you have potential for HD sound quality to actually, really change. Of course the sound quality doesn't actually change, but isn't sound purely based on one's perception?

So to try and answer chuskey's question, revisit your video in a year or so. Maybe you'll even have a comparison video!

When talking about this topic, I assume it's in the context of people who are sensitive to slight, very minor changes in guitar tone. So casual music listeners without a trained ear probably wouldn't be able to tell a difference between ten-year old modeling technology, a real amp, an axe-fx, kemper, etc. In that sense, you could safely say the HD can definitely still hang, for a very very long time too.

Doesn't someone usually make a post by now that says "Tone is in the fingers"... 

Looks like you just did. :)

But isn't 'tone is in the fingers' just obeying what your brain is telling your fingers which your mind is telling your brain, uh, nevermind.

"Tone may or may not be in the fingers, however it's surely in the heart "butt" one thing I do know, it's not in a fart."
 fart-in-face.gif 

"I like my HD500 and all the other Line 6 stuff I've got, am I gonna get rid of it? Definitely not."
love-song-smiley-emoticon.gif

"I wish I could get a Helix, though I'm short on dough."
brokesmily.gif
"Am I happy? Am I not? I'll stick with what I've got."
playing-and-smashing-guitar-smiley-emoti

​

In light of the all the high end gear out there now, and with Helix looming, I thought I'd do a video asking the question whether or not good tone can be had on a budget.  

I'm actually quite happy with the tones I'm getting with my HD, though I'll still be getting Helix :)

Anyway here's the video, hope you guys enjoy!

Hey Chuskey

I though I was one of the few that really liked the Dr. Z amp but that sounded GREAT...!

Also the acoustic sound was really convincing and there's where I lack so far with the HD500x and my JTV69

Would it be possible to see those presets anywhere?

Would love to see both but the acoustic is the one I really need HELP

thanks again

Charles

Great video that demonstrates that great tone lives on beyond technical progress! Thank you!

However, since your premise is about budget, it would have been even more effective to also use any non-variax guitar on some of those patches, as variax can be an increased expense.

Hey Chuskey

I though I was one of the few that really liked the Dr. Z amp but that sounded GREAT...!

Also the acoustic sound was really convincing and there's where I lack so far with the HD500x and my JTV69

Would it be possible to see those presets anywhere?

Would love to see both but the acoustic is the one I really need HELP

thanks again

Charles

Here's the acoustic preset:  http://line6.com/customtone/tone/989823/

I think it's pretty much what I used in the video.  I may have tweaked it slightly since uploading this tone, but it's pretty close if not exact.  I can double check when I get home.  

I think based on the feedback I've gotten I may do a video just focusing on getting acoustic tones out of the HD/JTV.  Obviously the most important thing is using FRFR, but I'm assuming that goes without saying :)

Here's the link to the Dr Z patch:  http://line6.com/customtone/tone/1159581/

It's designed to be played direct/FRFR and played at stage volume.  That's where the dynamics really start to kick in.  Also if you run direct and don't have the input gain high enough on the audio interface it's very flat and lifeless.  

Thanks for the kind words!

Chad

https://www.reverbnation.com/chadhuskey/songs

Great video that demonstrates that great tone lives on beyond technical progress! Thank you!

However, since your premise is about budget, it would have been even more effective to also use any non-variax guitar on some of those patches, as variax can be an increased expense.

Thanks man!

I made sure to use the mags in everything except the acoustic type patches.  So basically any strat style guitar would be the same effect as what I'm getting in the video.  The acoustic stuff was just a "bonus" :)  

Obviously that would bump up the budget to over $500.  However a used/B stock JTV and HD500X would still fall under the price of Helix.  So still budget friendly ;)  

The alternative to a Variax is to own a dozen different guitars. One for each tuning. One for each pickup configuration.

So, no, a Variax does not increase cost. 

Very true!  I think the Variax, and HD, are AMAZING values for what all they offer.  In this day and age we've just been very spoiled and expect a lot. 

BTW, the mags on the JTV69 (and 59) are great!  The guitar is very much worth what I paid for it even without considering the electronics.  

chuskey,

nicely done video with great points, playing, and sound.  I think you and I are on the exact same page where I would be perfectly happy staying with my HD500X I am definitely going for the Helix.  To napynap, I do appreciate your point about the Variax, but there are  a lot of HD500X and Helix demos that are not demoed with Variax.  And there a lot of guitars out there more and less expensive than Variax.

I personally own 4 Variax's VAX700 and VAC 700 and JTV 59 and 89f along with a handful of other guitars and for my particular situation are perfect for me and have the added capaibility of interfacing with HD500X and soon (hopefully) the Helix.

As for the budget end of things I have seen people get incredible sounds out of Roland cube and also sound like a Norelco razor out of a Mesa Boogie.

• Upvote 1

I will gig this Friday with an HD500 and a Roland Cube 80XL that I modified to have a 1/4 in insert so I can run the HD500 right into the power section. I will use this setup with an additional 1x12 cab. Sounds/ feels really good. Huge variety of tones. Very consistent.

I just sold my GT-10 and one of my GR55s along with a bunch of other amps/ gear but kept the HD500.For around 80% per cent of what I do live the HD500 is better than anything else in its price range or form factor. It has slowly but surely beaten out almost everything else I use for effects/ modeling.

I keep a Tech 21 FlyRig in the truck as a backup. Another amazing little tone machine!

So no Helix for me until they get tried used and abused and get a lot cheaper. I look at how much money I can make quickly when I buy a piece of gear. At $1500 it would take more than a weekend or two for me to turn a profit on the Helix.

Purchased used my HD500 made me money after only two gigs.

Love stuff like that!

• Upvote 4

I have been on a consolidation kick. Set up and tear down is the worst part of any gig. I count the number of steps it takes and any time I can eliminate a step, I do it. I don't even play through an amp any more. I sold my amps, I sold my pedals. I bring 2 Variax 500s and the HD500X with an H9 in the FX Loop. The way I look at it, I made my money back on the 500X with every piece of gear it replaced and every step it eliminated. 

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the video. I really liked the second eg with 1 Screamer. So sweat yet crispy! The acoustics were realistic too!

I too love my HD500. It delivers in spades!

I am going to get a Helix! ONEDAY I am in no rush. but from what I have heard there is no mistaking more head room of detail in the FX while to me the amps less so but that may change when I hear AB amp no FX comparisons. Up till now any videos I have heard on the Helix (ALL)have had at least a reverb in the chain.  

Knowing me all may change trying one out in a store near here! 

How much lower can the $Aussie dollar go! Shoulda got a USA credit card. dang

• Upvote 1

Based on some requests I'm going to put together a video on just acoustic sounds with the JTV/DH500X.  It's not ready yet, but I did update my acoustic patch just a little bit and uploaded it to customtone.  The original compressor setting was just a little too aggressive.  Here's the new one:

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/1162678/

Hopefully I'll have time to finish up the video in the next couple of days.  

Thanks!