Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HELP! Firmware update killed my JTV69

Hi folks,

I'm devastated to be here with such bad news (at least for me). 

I've tried to update the firmware from my JTV 69 (from 1.71 to 2.21) following all the security procedures - with a fully charged battery, both VDI and 1/4" TS mono plugged in, using the USB port directly from my Mac Pro, volume knob all up, with only the Line 6 Monkey app opened during the reflash. It was hooked trough a POD HD 500 (with everything up to date) connected to my DT50 via L6 link. Everything seemed to be going smoothly but in the end of the process the model knob and the tuning wheel turned green and red (respectively) and I've got this message saying: "Error opening MIDI ports" (see the pictures attached)

I've tried to re-do the installation process but got stuck on this same message over and over again, even when I tried to rollback to 1.71. 

So I quit Line 6 Monkey, opened it again and then it wouldn't see my JTV among the connected devices.

Now I've got none of the modelling sounds and don't have a clue of what to do next... :((((((

I've had this Red & Green knobs issue in the past also when updating the firmware, but I was able to revert it repeating the reflash process. 

My greatest concern is that I live in Brazil, far far away from Line 6. It would be a major pain in the lollipop to send it back to the US. Also the timing couldn't be worse, since I'm on the middle of an important project (yeah, I know! shouldn't have done the reflash in the first place) and got some gigs coming. =///

Is there any way to "force it" back to the factory settings without the Line 6 Monkey app (since it can't find the guitar anymore)? Or do you guys think this is something only the people at Line 6 can resolve? I'm not sure if I can get this kind of technical assistance form their representatives in Brazil (Habro Music).

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Please tell me my Dream Rig won't become a nightmare! :(

post-1438897-0-94509600-1440465938_thumb.png

post-1438897-0-74662800-1440469255_thumb.jpg

post-1438897-0-36436700-1440469278_thumb.jpg

False alarm, guys!

I was able to connect the JTV using the Line 6 Interface and then a new reflash resolved the issue.

Thank God :)

Anyway... don't know how to delete this thread. Hopefully it can help someone in the future.

The message here is: "Don't despair" :D

• Upvote 1

Glad you got it resolved.

Sometimes these things can be glitchy and it pays to do any updates as simply as possible with just the individual item attached with it's own interface rather than while it is connected to anything else.  It says in your first post that the JTV69 was connected to the HD500 which was also connected to the DT50 via L6 link - I am not sure that was a good idea.  The JTV69 connected through HD500 is supported and should work fine - I have done my last few updates like that but I have never had the whole lot connected via L6 link to my DT amp at the same time.

The official Line 6 recommended approach is to just hook up the JTV directly with its own interface, which is what you did in the end to fix it.  But you should be OK doing it via the HD500 - but I don't recommend having the DT hooked up with L6 link at the same time.

Yes Charlie. I also did that, based on your suggestion from the other thread. In fact I've downloaded all the firmware versions to my computer and from now on whenever I need to do the reflash it will be directly from the file and plugged into the interface.

Thanks for the help guys!

False alarm, guys!

I was able to connect the JTV using the Line 6 Interface and then a new reflash resolved the issue.

Thank God :)

Anyway... don't know how to delete this thread. Hopefully it can help someone in the future.

The message here is: "Don't despair" :D

I realize this thread isn't formulated as an explicit question. The implicit one could be "Can anyone help me fix it?". But if you mark it as "Answered" (you can for instance choose an existing post for that) it will at least seem much less ominous. For instance, I was already scared of flashing, after a slightly relevant negative experience with the process. But going through your post scared the lollipop (lollipop? really Line 6?) out of me in terms of whether I should ever try to (re-)flash any Line 6 product in the future. Bricking a Line 6 equipment despite doing everything (well, almost; a connected Link shouldn't matter imo, if designed friendly enough, or technically possible) by their "book" with all of the ideal [controllable] factors??? Me Angry. Its effect on me is not your fault anyway, but that's not my point.

The green "Answered" icon that will appear next to your thread (also in the list), will go a long way in reassuring that everything in this regard at least has been well sorted. Deleting is never my favorite choice. Unless I become uncontrollably psychotic; in that case there is no sense in explaining what the lollipop (it doesn't seem that I will soon get used to this auto-string-replacement, it's just poo reference for [relatively acceptable] free-speech's sake!) I was talking about; so posts will then disappear with an apology. But I digress.  -_-

Evidence (of an occurrence) is always your friend (normally), in my experience. I try to keep some track even though not always publicly raw.

Also you might want to use their MD5 tool to check the FW files before using them, something that I will definitely do each time from now on. The tool can be found with the drop-down-menu-item "No Hardware Required": http://line6.com/software/index.html

I wish a pleasant experience for everyone with Line 6. Tricky complications; I know..  <_<, but in terms of possibilities and potential, Line 6 has no contest. Their implementation process (including contracting 3rd parties), however, has yet to someday become perfect enough. That's hoping at least for all involved.  ^_^

EDIT (including some addition earlier):
PS
'God' has nothing to do with it, imo. That notion is also bad for my predisposition to delusions, among others; to clarify my standpoint.
Edited by ZenBalancer

OK, I get your point.

I'm usually more cautious about posting stuff online on forums (without extensively reading other threads first). I clearly panicked (sorry about that), cause this was the first time I wasn't able to get the computer to "see" the guitar. Fortunately for me the interface (which btw I didn't valued much till now) reverted it, but apparently this wasn't enough for other folks around here. For some the guitar really got "bricked" by this process.

I think there's plenty evidence on this forum that this reflash process isn't 100% secure and very straightforward as Line 6 probably expected it to be in the first place. It's a shame that sometimes we have to prevent ourselves from getting the latest version of the firmware (and checking the new sounds) in order to keep our instruments "safe".

The option to download the firmware before and have it checked by this MD5 tool is cool (though I would like to see it also available for Mac, since I haven't a PC). But I'm not sure if it could prevent me from having anything going wrong with the reflash itself.

For now, I'll stick with the 1.71 version that I personally like the best. I didn't tried the more recent ones though.

PS1: Lollipop is very silly indeed. But it certainly made me laugh.
PS2: God, Dog, Zorg, whatever fits your need, man... it was just an expression ;)
PS3: Anyway, I've just marked the thread as solved. 

• Upvote 2

OK, I get your point.

I'm usually more cautious about posting stuff online on forums (without extensively reading other threads first). I clearly panicked (sorry about that), cause this was the first time I wasn't able to get the computer to "see" the guitar. Fortunately for me the interface (which btw I didn't valued much till now) reverted it, but apparently this wasn't enough for other folks around here. For some the guitar really got "bricked" by this process.

I think there's plenty evidence on this forum that this reflash process isn't 100% secure and very straightforward as Line 6 probably expected it to be in the first place. It's a shame that sometimes we have to prevent ourselves from getting the latest version of the firmware (and checking the new sounds) in order to keep our instruments "safe".

The option to download the firmware before and have it checked by this MD5 tool is cool (though I would like to see it also available for Mac, since I haven't a PC). But I'm not sure if it could prevent me from having anything going wrong with the reflash itself.

For now, I'll stick with the 1.71 version that I personally like the best. I didn't tried the more recent ones though.

PS1: Lollipop is very silly indeed. But it certainly made me laugh.

PS2: God, Dog, Zorg, whatever fits your need, man... it was just an expression ;)

PS3: Anyway, I've just marked the thread as solved.

Thanks!

We do what we can to be sure. At least then we'll be sure it's not that or it couldn't be.

There is a virtual layer for your mac that gets Windows program to work often seamlessly I think, without even virtually running the entire Windows system next to or on-top of your Mac.

Some tips: 

http://www.howtogeek.com/187359/5-ways-to-run-windows-software-on-a-mac/

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/114486/how-can-i-run-windows-applications-on-a-macbook-pro

And there are other MD5 tools (their main function should be basically the same) for Mac/Apple/Linux/etc..

OFF-TOPIC: A family member sold his PS4 because of his.. issues; he didn't feel as happy with that in the end.