Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The Delay in the HD 500x is pissing me off...

NevenT

Newbie here...well....kinda...

Does anyone know how to make the very first delay "slap back" sound NOT to be as loud as the original or actual note?

I'm messing with the mix level and no matter what I do, I can't get the beginning of the first repeated note to be lower in volume than my last note played.  I got the right amount of feedback and all, I just want the very first one to be less noticeable.

It's pissing me off.  The mix too low, cuts off the amount I want, the mix to high, is too much...wtf?

My rack unit works just like I need it too.  This should as well...Arrrgggh!

I was using the Analog delay setting.  Mix was low and it was close to being good but repeats cut off to quick.  Increased the mix level and the slap back was as loud as the original signal.

Which one has the ducking?  Maybe that's the one?

From the Model Gallery:

Dynamic Delay

Made popular by the T.C. Electronic® 2290 Dynamic Digital Delay. While you play, the Dynamic Delay keeps the volume of the echoes turned down, so that the echoes don’t overwhelm what you’re doing. 

When the mix is at 50%, the echos are as loud as the sampled note. Any higher and the echos will be louder than the sampled note.

Start with the mix very low and slowly bring it up to the volume you want

There are some, ones with bass and treble controls, that can affect the echos a little differently. If bass and treble are left at the default 50%, and the mix is at 50%, the repeats will have less energy because bass and treble are cut by half.

A couple of other things that can affect the perception of repeats is whether listening through isolating headphones vs some other method, and the mix the guitar part is played against.

try putting your delay between the amp and the mixer in only one channel and then you can adjust the delay any way you want it and control its volume with the mixer level.  if you are running a stereo out then you will also need to play with the panning too or use a mono block after the mixer.

• Upvote 1

2 things to mention....

Ok, so the other night I'm messing with different delay options.  I have the guitar into the HD500x which is plugged into a Mesa 50/50 stereo power amp, then using 2 Marshall cabs left and right.  Is it me or do some of the delay options only give delay out of one cab more than the other? 

I left my left and right volumes the same on the power amp, and scroll through different delay options, and I hear the delay effect more noticeable out of one cab over the other.  I know that ping pong delay wilI have a "bouncing" effect, hence the name...duh? :D , but I swear it was a stereo delay.

I'd then switch to a completely different delay effect, and then hear it out of both (probably an Analog delay).

This was really noticeable with 2 cabs.  Normally, I'd be using only 1 cab, but with all the stereo cabs out now, I can run left and right within the same cab.  This has me a bit confused.  Anyone else hear this?

The other things is this...

Let's say you have a rhythm patch and you have 2 effects (boost with a 400milisecond delay) to both get activated simultaneously on another button for the same patch.  Ok....no problem. 

Now using the same rhythm patch, you want to use the same boost again, but you want to add another delay pedal but with 600ms delay to be used with the boost, (instead of the 400ms one) on another button.  I'm able to get different effects to work at the same time together on one button, but when I tried to use the same effect 2x with a different delay on a different button, it wouldn't work.  :angry:

Please assist.  Thank you.

2 things to mention....

Ok, so the other night I'm messing with different delay options.  I have the guitar into the HD500x which is plugged into a Mesa 50/50 stereo power amp, then using 2 Marshall cabs left and right.  Is it me or do some of the delay options only give delay out of one cab more than the other? 

I left my left and right volumes the same on the power amp, and scroll through different delay options, and I hear the delay effect more noticeable out of one cab over the other.  I know that ping pong delay wilI have a "bouncing" effect, hence the name...duh? :D , but I swear it was a stereo delay.

I'd then switch to a completely different delay effect, and then hear it out of both (probably an Analog delay).

This was really noticeable with 2 cabs.  Normally, I'd be using only 1 cab, but with all the stereo cabs out now, I can run left and right within the same cab.  This has me a bit confused.  Anyone else hear this?

The other things is this...

Let's say you have a rhythm patch and you have 2 effects (boost with a 400milisecond delay) to both get activated simultaneously on another button for the same patch.  Ok....no problem. 

Now using the same rhythm patch, you want to use the same boost again, but you want to add another delay pedal but with 600ms delay to be used with the boost, (instead of the 400ms one) on another button.  I'm able to get different effects to work at the same time together on one button, but when I tried to use the same effect 2x with a different delay on a different button, it wouldn't work.  :angry:

Please assist.  Thank you.

I've noticed the unbalanced effect you talk about. It's pretty apparent through headphones and the only one I've noticed it on is the stereo delay, and if it's set up to produce a ping-pong effect. To fix, or compensate, for it adjust the feedback controls. The delay with the longer time needs less feedback, or the one with less time more feedback - if I remember correctly.

You can't assign an effect to more than one switch.

Not quite sure what you want to accomplish.

You want:

1. boost and delay (400ms) on one button

2. boost, delay (400ms), and delay (600ms) on another button

or:

3. boost, delay (600ms instead of 400ms) on another button

For number 1 and 2, why not just assign another delay block (600ms) to another switch?

For number 3, I can think of 2 solutions:

1. dsp and fx block permitting, have two sets of each effect - boost and delay (400ms), boost and delay (600ms). Each set would be controlled by a separate switch.

2. have the two effects controlled by one switch (both on/off at the same time, the first effect in the chain controls the led). Then use either EXP1 or EXP2 to control the min and max values for the delay, 400ms in the heel position, 600ms in the toe position, or vice versa.

I'll try adjusting the feedback as you mentioned.

Yes to #1 and #3. 

I have #1 set up already.  If I were to use the same boost, but added a different delay with a different delay time, I can't get the boost to work on another button because it seems that it's already programmed on the first one.  Only the second delay works.  Should I add another boost then and assign it with the new delay to another button?  Seems like I should be able to do what I'm thinking without adding a complete separate boost though...hmm. :wacko:

I'll try adjusting the feedback as you mentioned.

Yes to #1 and #3. 

I have #1 set up already.  If I were to use the same boost, but added a different delay with a different delay time, I can't get the boost to work on another button because it seems that it's already programmed on the first one.  Only the second delay works.  Should I add another boost then and assign it with the new delay to another button?  Seems like I should be able to do what I'm thinking without adding a complete separate boost though...hmm. :wacko:

So here is the two solutions I mentioned above, more or less, attached to this post.

I just arbitrarily chose the boost and delay effects.

Solution 1 uses two sets of the same effects. FS1 toggles set 1 (400ms delay) and FS2 toggles set 2 (600ms delay).

Solution 2 uses only one of each effect and both are toggled by FS1. The delay is controlled by the expression pedal on EXP1 - 400ms in the heel position and 600ms in the toe down position. One thing to note about this is the min and max values on the controller tab in HD Edit uses percentage rather than milliseconds. 20% is roughly 400ms and 30% is roughly 600ms, if I didn't terribly screw up the math.

BoostDelaySolutions.zip