Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HELP -- JTV59 wont "turn on"

I would try it with nothing else connected except power supply, VDI cable and output to amp or speaker. You want that I connected the Variax to the input of the amplifier ?I'm from Russia,use the translator to communicate. Sorry to ask again...

Yes, I get sound with the battery and a regular 1/4" cable...

Well that narrows it down. It's not the "brains" of the JTV, which is a good thing. In order from most to least likely, I'd say it's either:

1) the cable...look at both ends. Sometimes one or more of those pins get bent.

2) the VDI jack on the guitar,

3) the POD has an issue somewhere.

Start simple...get another cable. You need that anyway. The stock one is not terribly "robust", if you will. You certainly can't gig with it. If that solves it, great. If not, then start looking at problems that are a bigger pain in the arse...

POD HD PRO to control the Variax ? Maybe it's not available for the POD HD PRO ? I need to switch the preset on POD HD PRO-change guitar model on the Variax...

The Pod HD Pro is able to control the Variax. Your preset, and the Pod's Global Variax settings, need to be properly configured but it certainly is a supported feature of the HD Pro.

After viewing the video, some comments:

- the VDI connection is providing power to the Variax

- your physical connections seem correct, although the cable you are using is not a VDI cable. There is a chance that the connection at the POD (the unshielded cable end) is loose and subject to problems, especially at the point early in the video when you are moving the rack unit and various cords and cables around while the JTV is connected. This can be problematic. Don't use this cable long term.

- you should not have the JTV connected to the Pod using both VDI and the 1/4" connection. Again, for a short term test as your video is this is OK but do not do this routinely.

.... and some tests for you to perform and report back  ....

- try using headphones in the Pod. Do you hear any sound then?

- engage the tuner. Does it detect the incoming Guitar signal?

The mod cable being used here in the video is for doing program updates through Line 6 Monkey and Workbench HD.

The correct cable to use for playing through is the VDI cable with the XLR shells on both ends for a proper lock.

Have you do a Flash update? Sometimes when it lights up, but does nothing, it is because of a failed Flash update.

Do a re-Flash of the latest version and see if that clears it up.

... The sound in the headphones is not, when you turn on the tuner sound is not. ....

These two things indicate that the signal is not reaching the Pod for processing. Although the VDI connection is providing power it does not seem to be carrying the guitar signal. One of the VDI jacks or its internal board/soldering is faulty - either on the JTV or on the Pod. To determine which its faulty you will need to test the JTV/VDI connection with another VDI-equipped Pod device. If the JTV works with another device then it's the Pod that's faulty; if it still doesn't work with the other device then it's the JTV that's faulty.

I would open a support ticket. They're both Line 6 products and Line 6 tech support can help you diagnose the exact issue and help arrange any required repair.

• 1 month later...

Howdy Folks,

I had a similar problem when trying to connect my JTV-69 with my HELIX...it wouldn't turn ON!

I would have to connect and reconnect the VDI cable many times before I heard the relay in the JTV click; telling me that the Variax circuit was active....(This was hit and miss and I was not happy...)

I could hot-wire the operation by placing a 1/4" cable into the JTV, turn on the modelling and then insert the VDI cable and remove the 1/4" cable... (This worked every time but I was not happy...)

I read some other posts that mentioned setting the tuning knob to MODEL... although it worked the first time I did it, it wasn't repeatable...

I jammed for a while, turned everything off and came back a few hours later... I think that I found a solution...

I powered up the Helix and connected my JTV via the VDI cable and it came up right away!.... I plugged and unplugged the VDI many times and the JTV came up right away everytime!!!... what was the difference?

The difference was that my pick-up selector was in position #5 (Neck)... any other position and the Variax relay would not click.

I am a tech but I don't know why this worked for me but it solved my problem 100%.

I thought that I would share in case it helps someone else who has the same problem :)

Good-Luck.

Seeya

Joe

Zen,... impressive dissertation.

The advice I give here is a result of having serviced and repaired about 1,500 of mostly

JTV's (the odd Variax, Variax Standards and some custom work for the boss for high profile

users/endorsers),... +/- a half dozen. And four decades of being in the audio world. Though

I am up on my theory, what comment on is out of experience with this gear, and knowing it's

capabilities and limitations, what it's design to do and not do.

Good commentary on your part Zen. Would like to look deeper into it when I can. And Silverhead

being a tech and all, he knows his stuff.

Rock On!!! 

Oh, and Iwilliams,... use the Line 6 VDI cable, CAT5E would not be the right impedance for the

bandwidth region of frequencies this gear is happy with, that's more for ultra high speed applications.

Standard VDI cable with the Canon casings on both ends, is the best bet.

Howdy Folks,

I had a similar problem when trying to connect my JTV-69 with my HELIX...it wouldn't turn ON!

I would have to connect and reconnect the VDI cable many times before I heard the relay in the JTV click; telling me that the Variax circuit was active....(This was hit and miss and I was not happy...)

I could hot-wire the operation by placing a 1/4" cable into the JTV, turn on the modelling and then insert the VDI cable and remove the 1/4" cable... (This worked every time but I was not happy...)

I read some other posts that mentioned setting the tuning knob to MODEL... although it worked the first time I did it, it wasn't repeatable...

I jammed for a while, turned everything off and came back a few hours later... I think that I found a solution...

I powered up the Helix and connected my JTV via the VDI cable and it came up right away!.... I plugged and unplugged the VDI many times and the JTV came up right away everytime!!!... what was the difference?

The difference was that my pick-up selector was in position #5 (Neck)... any other position and the Variax relay would not click.

I am a tech but I don't know why this worked for me but it solved my problem 100%.

I thought that I would share in case it helps someone else who has the same problem :)

Good-Luck.

Seeya

Joe

Great post. Are you saying simply connecting with PU selector in pos 5 will power up variax? No need to push in model selector?

I will get to my studio in a bit to try. I have a 69 mobo here and was thinking about just slapping it and a jackplate in a guitar to see if it works.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a JTV-89 F, only used it a few times. Was fine this morning, then this evening wanted to play some drop D. The model switch pressing was not working at all. I read this thread, started pulling on the knob and I heard a click. Then I was able to press it, clicked and the light came on. I paid 2k for this guitar the parts are not very robust are they? At least it isn't broken, just an issue with the model selector knob. It took months to get this guitar in, and there was another one in repair shop for months, maybe I am in for it later? 🤔

I am in New Zealand so I am pretty sure it would take a while to get repaired. I also got the G10 wireless and some of my guitars don't work, Green light on. I needed to buy two TS Right angle adapters for a couple of my 22 Guitars that I tried that didn't work, must be funny wiring? I still have another 9 guitars I haven't tried yet.

Hey Thanks for the info in these threads! You guys are great for sharing knowledge about this Line 6 gear. I am totally new to it. I friggin LOVE this stuff though, don't get me wrong, I bought a Helix too then watch some demos of Variax and am blown away, by the JTV-89 its wicked!!

• 4 years later...

I hate to restart an old threat but I have a very similar problem with my JTV-59.  Regardless of the way I attempt to power it I am unable to get the modelling to work.

1.  No LED at any time.

2.  I have tried the button fix with now result.

3.  I have charged the battery and it shows lights on the battery indicator.  No knob LED.

4.  Connected to HD500 and separately the USB VDI connector.  No knob lights or modeling.

5.  Line 6 apps do not see it when attached through USB.

6.  The magnetic pickups are fine as I have played it continuously as a regular guitar using the 1/4 inch jack.  No issues.

7.  I have submitted a support ticket but have not received a response yet.  It has only been a week so far.

8.  It has been 3 to 4 months that I have used it with models.

9.  My VDI cover did break off but it did work after that happened.

10.  It is possible that I attempted to put the 1/4 cable in the VDI socket by accident but there does not appear to be any physical damage.  I hope this is not a red herring as I am not sure this ever happened but it is possible.  Perhaps this could create a short a fuse or component was blown.

Any ideas???

Thanks for your comments and hopefully help in advance.

K