Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT50 212 correct speaker output

muljator

Hi

I have just bought a new dt50 212.

I was wondering what is the correct speaker output to plug in the cable of the default speakers.

They say they are 8 ohm speakers, and they were connected to the B speaker output when i got them from the shop, but the manual states that output A is for two 8ohm speakers/cabs and output B is for one 8ohm speaker/cab.

Also on most pictures of the backside of the 212 i found online, the speakers were connected to the C output (16ohm).

So which is the correct output to use, and could i damage my amp if i use the wrong output?

Did you have a chance to review the manual? It should tell you the answer to your question.

If the 2 speakers are 8 ohms each, then:

1. They are a total of 16 ohms if wired in series
  2. They are a total of 4 ohms if wired in parallel

Hope that helps. There are plenty of websites that can give you an idea how this works, but I think your first stop is the manual.

It seems they were wired in series, so that would be 16ohms.

Seems to me like the amp got louder and clearer after i switched to speaker output C, but it could just be in my head.

Now all that's left is to get rid of the hum, and it would be perfect.

Thx for the help.

It seems they were wired in series, so that would be 16ohms.

Seems to me like the amp got louder and clearer after i switched to speaker output C, but it could just be in my head.

Now all that's left is to get rid of the hum, and it would be perfect.

Thx for the help.

I have a DT50-112.  Like mine, the 212 has 1 speaker plug, however, you have two 8 ohm speakers.  These are either wired in series or in parallel to the one plug (ref. CipherHost's post above).  So as far as the jacks are concerned, you have one speaker, not two, because you only have one 1/4" plug.  So ignore where it says "plug 2 8-ohm speakers..."  Further, your plug equates to either a 4 ohm (if wired in parallel) or a 16 ohm (if wired in series) speaker.  Therefore you would not use B, that's for an 8 ohm speaker.

So how do we know which way your speakers are wired?  Maybe the owner's manual states, but it was quicker for me to check ebay, where, like you, I found 2 DT50-212's for sale, both of which have photos of the rear that show that your plug needs to go into "C," the 16 ohm jack.  This would confirm your suspicion that they are wired in series.

Don't use A or B, use only C (unless you start changing your speaker configuration--but in that case you should get tech assistance).

BTW, the DT50 is built for live performance and has a very loud noise floor, although with 2 speakers that noise is less than with 1 speaker.  I don't notice the noise at all when playing in a band, it vanishes completely.  However, when practicing at home at lower volume it was absolutely driving me nuts!!!  This is just the nature of the beast.  Voice III is the noisiest, Voice IV has more ground buzz.  So if you go to the "solo" or any of the Fender or Marshall amps you'll have less noise.  Maybe throw a stomp box out front if you need more saturation?  Switching to Triode helped quite a bit, and in some cases low power mode is helpful too.  Ultimately, though, I picked up a DT25 head and am loving the sh!t outta it!!!  The tones are identical to the DT50--I use the same presets in my POD HD500--but the DT25 is just a bit better suited for low volume practicing.  

My advice:  Forget about the noise, Spend 15 minutes with it switched to triode to give it a test, turn it up if you can, and relax knowing you're one of the lucky ones to own this amazing amp.