Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wireless Dongle not working

Hi guys,

I have an issue where the wireless dongle to connect to the ipad not working; i bought 2 dongles (Engenius dual band wireless AC1200 usb adapter) as recommended..... when i go into the wifi settings, it says "no remotes connected" Status: no network adapter present. A network adapter must be connected to configure network setting. 

i placed the dongle in my computer and it automatically installed the drivers, hence the dongle is in working conditions....

1. What do you think might be the problem?

2. What can be done to solve this issue?

3. Is there a specific setting that needs to be installed for the network to be registered?

Need guidance and assistance as soon as possible. 

Many thanks in advance.

Randy

Dongles are extremely 'hit or miss'. The list of compatible models is very small:

• Supported USB-Wifi Adapters:
    • EnGenius EUB-9801
    • Samsung WIS12ABGNX - WIS9ABGN and a WIS10ABGN are NOT compatible

The Egenius AC1200 is not on the supported list.

I would strongly recommend getting the Apple USB-Ethernet adapter and an Airport Express. The performance is far better and it is a proven, reliable method. I have used the Samsung dongle listed above, but the connection is vastly better with a router. Not worth the hassle, in my opinion, of trying to do this "on the cheap".

With a compatible dongle or router, all you do is plug it in and go to SYSTEM and turn on wi-fi. The iPad will then detect the Stagescape network. Log onto the network and launch the App.

As 66d35 (sorry, don't know your name) has stated, unless the dongle is on the supported list you have virtually no chance of it working.

The dongles require drivers for your PC to use them, and the stagescape is no different. Unlike your PC which goes online and finds the driver or has it bundled with the OS, because the generic provider has furnished your OS provider with the driver, the stagescape has only a small number of drivers available (and lets face it, three years on and the list of drivers may as well be zero!)

So, as he/she says, go the slightly more costly, but infinitely more reliable route of the Apple USB to Ethernet adapter with a router (of your choice)

Even if you do get a dongle that is supported, its range is dramatically smaller than that of a router, not to mention the reliability of the connection.

• 3 weeks later...

66d35 - "I would strongly recommend getting the Apple USB-Ethernet adapter and an Airport Express. The performance is far better and it is a proven, reliable method."

+1

Never have a problem using this setup, connection is instant, and solid.

• 4 months later...

Some guy on here suggested a simple USB extension lead would help, as he figured the steel case of the mixer itself was interfering with the wifi signal. I was having real problems with mine (the enGenius one), so thought I'd give it a try. So far it's worked amazingly well for me.

From previously being inable to maintain a connection for no more than a few minutes, It's now able to hold a so,id connection for several hours at a time - and all it's taken is a little four-or-five inch USB extension lead I had lying around.

• Upvote 1

Some guy on here suggested a simple USB extension lead would help, as he figured the steel case of the mixer itself was interfering with the wifi signal. I was having real problems with mine (the enGenius one), so thought I'd give it a try. So far it's worked amazingly well for me.

From previously being inable to maintain a connection for no more than a few minutes, It's now able to hold a so,id connection for several hours at a time - and all it's taken is a little four-or-five inch USB extension lead I had lying around.

Good. Yes, it really does make a difference. Also, if you use a but longer extension, and get the dongle up as high as possible with a clear line of sight to the iPad, it is even better. Still not as fast or solid as an Airport Express/Extreme, however.