Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Has anyone come up with a work around for the circuit loading and current draw using VDI and 1/4 inch out?

A staff member for Line6 has stated: "Using VDI out and 1/4" out simultaneously would create problems of circuit loading and current draw issues (with or without battery). The circuit board wouldn't handle that kind of load. In case anyone was thinking about that one."

Has anyone come up with a work around for this problem of circuit loading and current draw using VDI and 1/4 in out? 

I've got to say I've never heard of this being an issue. I do recall a few years ago that people reported extraneous noise when using both the 1/4" and VDI outputs connected to the HD500 at the same time.

Yeah, I'm doubting it as well, due to the fact that a high impedance instrument signal is based on millivolts, not current. And by being high impedance in the 10k - to several Megaohms, there is not a current draw from instrument to amplifier....

As a matter of fact, the use of the USB interface requires simultaneous use of the VDI and the 1/4" jack to monitor your work with WB if you don't have a VDI equipped pedal, such as the 500(X).... So, yeah, doubts all around...

The VDI signal is digital, the 1/4" jack is analog. The models are digital and the mags are analog A/D conversion to digital down the VDI, while the mag analog goes out the 1/4" (probably buffered), and the digital models go through D/A to analog conversion to go out the 1/4".

Dave

99% of the power in the Variax goes to run the DSP and it runs whenever you use any modeling.  The 1/4 inch is just an analog output of the digital data being sent over the VDI.  There is NOTHING in the manual from Line6 saying only use one or the other!  I call BS on this one.

I've got to say I've never heard of this being an issue. I do recall a few years ago that people reported extraneous noise when using both the 1/4" and VDI outputs connected to the HD500 at the same time.

I confirm related noise using both (VDI patch cable + 1/4" audio cable) connected simultaneously to a Firehawk FX, BUT these signal outputs work fine (no additional noise) when connected separately (1/4" to a standalone Line 6 amp, in my case) yet both simultaneously/at the same time (in the context of that separation).

The signals from the 1/4" output is a minimal signal meant for an amp in the first place, how could it draw a 'power-level' that would be on the edge of overloading the Variax 'mother-board'-circuitry when used simultaneously with a VDI signal output? But it's not impossible, since it is afteral sensitive electronics, and every bit of power would help. I think when the Modelling is turned on, it then does 'relay-power' in the form of a digitally produced signal (but actually analog output, to work with any amp, so it's converted with a digital-analog-converter, most presumably). But when using Magentic Pickups, it shouldn't be using the digital circuitry at all, otherwise it wouldn't be even working if for the Magnetic Pickup signal it needed any power with a regular amp. Just thoughts.

EDIT: Except if the electromagnetically generated string-vibrations-carrying Magnetic Pickup(s, selector dependent) signal, if that little-'bit'-of-electricity is a part of the digital-circuit-board 'bypassing relay mechanism' (if that's needed for that); in that case I don't know what to think, my brain is going tilt for now.. Staff's relevant input will be highly appreciated by all end-users and interested parties.

EDITs: clarity.

Edited by ZenBalancer