Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider Jam Problem

Barleydog

Hi all

Just received my new Spider Jam, really been looking forward to using it

But.......when I switch on and plug in my guitar im not getting any real guitar sound coming out......I've tried whacking up channel vol, master vol etc..but nothing happens

Drum and song tracks come through with plenty of volume, no problem.....whooohah!!

Do I need to be adjusting settings on a new amp or is there a problem with it or am I missing something pretty obvious??

2 different guitars used, Eggle Berlin and Fender american strat

Hope to hear from someone,

Barleydog

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I just got my spider jam about 2 weeks ago, when I try to do anything with the sd card it either shuts off and turns back on or just kind of locks up the menu . Is there anything that I can do about this or should I send it back ?

Hi all

But.......when I switch on and plug in my guitar im not getting any real guitar sound coming out......I've tried whacking up channel vol, master vol etc..but nothing happens

Drum and song tracks come through with plenty of volume, no problem.....whooohah!!

Do I need to be adjusting settings on a new amp or is there a problem with it or am I missing something pretty obvious??

Barleydog

Check out the "inputs/levels" button, press it twice to see all the options. With the first press you can adjust those drums, etc. and with the second press you can adjust the Guitar, Aux, and CD inputs.

I just got my spider jam about 2 weeks ago, when I try to do anything with the sd card it either shuts off and turns back on or just kind of locks up the menu . Is there anything that I can do about this or should I send it back ?

Format the card with the Spider Jam. Also I think you can only use a max of 2 GB card.

• Upvote 1

When

I tried to format the card the same thing happens , shuts off and turns back on , and yes it is a 2G card, even when I pull up the sd menu it does the same thing or it locks up and I have to turn it off and then back on to make it do anything.

When

I tried to format the card the same thing happens , shuts off and turns back on , and yes it is a 2G card, even when I pull up the sd menu it does the same thing or it locks up and I have to turn it off and then back on to make it do anything.

Maybe the SD Card isn't compatable, check the card and if it has a lock on it make sure it's unlocked. I understand there are many different class's of SD Cards nowadays. Please keep in mind these only suggestions.

I thought of that too , tried 3 different ones , 2 were brand new , the sd card doesn't even have to be in it , if you try and do anything in that mode the same thing happens , I think it has some kind of internal defect , probably going to send it back.

• Upvote 1

I thought of that too , tried 3 different ones , 2 were brand new , the sd card doesn't even have to be in it , if you try and do anything in that mode the same thing happens , I think it has some kind of internal defect , probably going to send it back.

Certainly sounds like something you can't fix easily and when that happens to me it calls for (like you said) sending it back.

• 2 months later...

Hi Gang

On the Spider Jam amp, I can't get volume from the guitar with the jam track playing. 

I've read the previous answers - make sure the guitar light is on in the select area and hit the input/select twice and adjust the volume.

Have the volume on the select up as far as it goes and the guitar light showing in the input/levels section and still nothing.

Any further thoughts.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Why is there a 2GB limitation on the SD card?  Is it that the Spider Jam can not format SDHC cards?  FAT 16 format only? You can get 4GB SD cards that are not HC and effectively double the storage.  I see the 2GB storage limit as a major problem. I  had an older GPS that had a 2GB limit and was able to boost it to 4GB that way.  Will this work?  Has anybody tried it yet?

4GB non HC SD card link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=4GB+non+HC+sd+card&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Why is there a 2GB limitation on the SD card?  Is it that the Spider Jam can not format SDHC cards?  FAT 16 format only? You can get 4GB SD cards that are not HC and effectively double the storage.  I see the 2GB storage limit as a major problem. I  had an older GPS that had a 2GB limit and was able to boost it to 4GB that way.  Will this work?  Has anybody tried it yet?

4GB non HC SD card link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=4GB+non+HC+sd+card&N=-1&isNodeId=1

I suppose the Spider Jam's brains can only manage a small amount of storage is the reason for the limitation. I always just format the card in the amp. I'll record songs with the amp and save them as a Wav file to the SD Card and I can do quite a few songs before I have to upload to my computer.

Keep in mind you can record also by micing the cab or direct by using the headphones out. I've done both with ok results but as long as I can record using the Spider Jams memory I will.

I found a standard 2gb SD Card on Amazon >>>> http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SD2GB-2GB-SD-Card/dp/B000YH5FOK

and 1gb which I use >>>>> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I5ZC3W/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687402&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000O1HSN2&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0AQDP1WHCJA2AJYZ5YEB

41G349WVDTL._SY450_.jpg

Brazzy,   Thanks for responding.  I've been pretty much doing that the same way.   However, I like to have a good selection of favorite backing tracks on hand for quick playback (i.e.: live playing). Swapping out 2GB cards is a possibility and I find hooking up a separate MP3 player for this task a bit of a pain. And you have to redo your control settings per backing track every time. Like many older SD interfaces, I think the SD on the Spider Jam can't handle HC because of the FAT 16 formatting. I ordered a 4GB  non HC SD card and will test my premise and report back.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained !

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys, I have a spider jam 2.0, and lately its been shutting off when I play, it totally shuts down, then powers up again on its own, all wires and power cord are tight, yesterday it shut down 3 times in 5 min. i read on here that it just gets worse, is that true, i cant seem to find where i read that on the fourm, any insight would be great--thank you guys

hi guys, I have a spider jam 2.0, and lately its been shutting off when I play, it totally shuts down, then powers up again on its own, all wires and power cord are tight, yesterday it shut down 3 times in 5 min. i read on here that it just gets worse, is that true, i cant seem to find where i read that on the fourm, any insight would be great--thank you guys

I've had mine since late 2008 and it still works great. I do take as good a care as i can of it though. It doesn't get banged around 'cause I don't gig with it though although I don't think that should matter. Also I use the devices I have regularly since I feel that letting them sit around too long not plugged in and powered up leads to a dead device.

I have had to reflash mine at least 5 times in it's life due to issues such as yours. I think that most of my troubles are due to me trying to adjust things too fast which might cause a corruption somewhere. Keep in mind I'm not a certified tech but I have quite of bit of experience with software as a user.

• 2 years later...

Hi all

Barleydog

Try resetting the amp to the factory settings. To do this, Press and hold the Settings Tone button on top while powering up. Make sure you are plugged into the guitar input and not the Aux input.

Hi Gang

On the Spider Jam amp, I can't get volume from the guitar with the jam track playing. 

I've read the previous answers - make sure the guitar light is on in the select area and hit the input/select twice and adjust the volume.

Have the volume on the select up as far as it goes and the guitar light showing in the input/levels section and still nothing.

Any further thoughts.

Thanks

Try to reset to the factory settings. To do this, Press and hold the Settings Tone button on top while powering up the amp.

I've had mine since late 2008 and it still works great. I do take as good a care as i can of it though. It doesn't get banged around 'cause I don't gig with it though although I don't think that should matter. Also I use the devices I have regularly since I feel that letting them sit around too long not plugged in and powered up leads to a dead device.

I have had to reflash mine at least 5 times in it's life due to issues such as yours. I think that most of my troubles are due to me trying to adjust things too fast which might cause a corruption somewhere. Keep in mind I'm not a certified tech but I have quite of bit of experience with software as a user.

Mine was doing the same thing . I rest to the factory settings and re-updated the firm ware just to make sure it was current and not missing anything. To Reset press and hold the "Settings Tone" button on top while powering up the amp.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a different problem. My guitar modeling select pot doesn't work well and intermittently jumps models. I don't understand why they just didn't put a "click" selector preset pot on the unit but that's another point. Any repair videos for swapping out this pot?

• 2 months later...

How to correct SD card reader problems for Spider Jam.   

First you can ONLY record using 1 Gig disk.   You may use 2 Gig but only for reading.

If you are getting a card reading error that says card is not found you might have to reinstall the upgrade for 2.09 I think it is.    Mine came with it but when I upgraded firmware it went away.  You must download the fw.bin file onto your computer and move to SD disk.    The disk SD disk MUST be formatted as FAT (default) using 32 kilobytes which is NOT THE SAME AS FAT 32.

Put disk in AMP and power on holding the SAVE key to boot from the disk then upgrade.   If you are saving WAV files from your computer to the SD disk always use MONO WAV 16 bit PCM.

I have used San Disk and Transcend.   The AMP does not like to format the 2 Gig so use your own computer to do so.    

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...