Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anybody install a kill switch on their JTV that works on the VDI output?

Unfortunately it wouldn't work as described, because the VDI connection uses a variant of AES/EBU digital audio. Simply disconnecting it would kill the audio, but reconnecting it would probably not respond in time and may have glitches.

I could imagine (but don't have the knowledge or skill to construct) some kind of active digital FPGA thing that would be a "man in the middle" of the digital audio stream, muting it according to a switch. That probably wouldn't be worth the effort though.

The most practical approach I could imagine would be to construct a little box with a momentary switch that puts a resistor in and out of the circuit. Wire that up to a 1/4" jack and run it to the Expression Pedal input of the Pod. If the resistor is chosen well, it will make the Pod think it's an expression pedal jumping between 0% and 100%. Assign that to a volume pedal as the first effect in the chain, and you've got yourself a VDI kill switch.

Ok, I'll bite. Why on earth would this ever be necessary or desirable?

Just brainstorming workarounds if the overload issue is legit. I was contemplating adding a GK-3. This would allow switching between VDI and 1/4 inch out without unplugging cables. It would also save wear on the selector switch when playing songs like Eddie's version of You Really Got Me. 

It looks like others have thought about this as well and so far the consensus is that it would be problematic. 

Just brainstorming workarounds if the overload issue is legit. I was contemplating adding a GK-3. This would allow switching between VDI and 1/4 inch out without unplugging cables. It would also save wear on the selector switch when playing songs like Eddie's version of You Really Got Me. 

It looks like others have thought about this as well and so far the consensus is that it would be problematic.

Just listened to the song and lyrics; that's how I feel about (Yamaha) Line 6 man.. (also?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X6e7uctAww

Aaaah you did say Eddie's version, only AMV was top one (didn't check it though; checked it now, it's not AMV, I was mislead; I don't know the difference between those and Eddie's version, although the lyrics page points to a Eddie Money? Or is it the guy that noted the lyrics? Anyway, I'm out):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q31a4ZbN-c

Lyrics:

EDDIE MONEY LYRICS

"You've Really Got A Hold On Me"

I don't like you

But I love you

See that I'm always

Thinking of you

Oh, oh, oh,

You treat me badly

I love you madly

You've really got a hold on me

You've really got a hold on me, baby

I don't want you,

But I need you

Don't want to kiss you

But I need you

Oh, oh, oh

You do me wring now

My love is strong now

I love you and all I want you to do

Is just hold me, hold me, hold me, hold me

I want to leave you

Don't want to stay here

Don't want to spend

Another day here

Oh, oh, oh, I want to split now

I just can quit now

I love you and all I want you to do

Is just hold me, hold me, hold me, hold me

Submit Corrections

Writer(s): William Smokey Robinson

Copyright: Jobete Music Co. Inc. -- http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/eddiemoney/youvereallygotaholdonme.html

I don't want a physical kill switch, just my view, but indeed as you pointed out, if the overload issue is legit, then the FW should take care of what should not be happeaning or what shouldn't be switched on simultaneously. Because the product shouldn't be letting you kill it unknowingly. Should it? I vote no.

EDIT(2015-09-03): added Eddie's version AMV (didn't check it though) + I know now that I don't know.

Edited by ZenBalancer

You could try assigning a patch with the volume preset to 0%, right next to the one you're using so that you can use the JTV switch the same sort of way you would with a volume-down Les Paul middle position. Just a thought.

Another option would be to make a Variax patch with the volume set to zero? For instance Custom 1, and switch between custom 1 and 2 in the same way as in the video

Yes, I see that now :lol:

For a reason, (I must have been drunk:D​)I thought you ment a POD patch, and to switch between those patches (or to have a pedal with zero volume in the chain and turn it on/off)

​

• 2 years later...

Ok, I'll bite. Why on earth would this ever be necessary or desirable?

Creating real-time, finely controllable stutter effect is what most people use a kill switch for. Pushbuttons work much faster, more predictably and much easier than rotating a volume knob from mute to full, and won't cause the premature failure of a pickup selector switch (as one might use on a Gibson to create the same effect).

While the guy in the video below is playing different stuff than I might, he does pretty effectively demonstrate sounds that can only be achieved with a killswitch:

https://youtu.be/9Q1QgsEHZI4