Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix as USB<>VDI Interface for JTV Variax Workbench HD Editor?

stevekc

wow, I would have expected that to be standard... what about updating my JTV through the Helix with Monkey?

At launch, in this regard, I expect Helix to be the same as Firehawk FX  - i.e. No - 

There are no plans for Helix or Firehawk FX to support Line-6 Monkey  - so that means no Variax updates

I'm learning to ask questions, and not to assume anything

At launch, in this regard, I expect Helix to be the same as Firehawk FX  - i.e. No - 

There are no plans for Helix or Firehawk FX to support Line-6 Monkey  - so that means no Variax updates

Not at launch, but it's at the top of our list of post-1.0 features.

I'm going to guess that they are going to, but wanted to get Helix out as quickly as possible.

Confirmed Helix ( like many recent Line-6 Products, ( Relay G75, Firehawk FX) are not compatible with  Line-6 Monkey

these use the new "Line-6 Updater" instead.

Of course Tyler Variax does not use  Line-6 Updater.

At release the Helix Variax VDI port has identical function as as Firehawk FX VDI port  = Variax preset changing and Alt Tuning selection only - no Variax Workbench, no Variax  Firmware update.

So dont  sell your HD500 yet   ;)    

• Upvote 1

At release the Helix Variax VDI port has identical function as as Firehawk FX VDI port  = Variax preset changing and Alt Tuning selection only - no Variax Workbench, no Variax  Firmware update.

So dont  sell your HD500 yet   ;)    

There are a few folks out there that never got the VDI USB Interface with their JTV and have been relying on their POD as an interface. 

This is as surprising and disappointing as the HD500(X) not having different levels or settings for the XLR versus the 1/4" outs -- something that was a big feature on the X3Live, that they just dropped for no apparent reason when they came out with the HD's. To me, it seemed like an oversight that would be corrected with later firmware updates, but never was.... I am GLAD this one is on their radar for a firmware update on the Helix to correct this pretty large omission of capabilities for a whole cadre of users who have gone whole hog with their products. The same goes for the Line6 Link for the DT amp series to control topography, something that is a major feature for those with that "dream rig" setup -- I'm not one, but seems a major omission for a full feature set on their "newest" flagship product.

The thing is, the USB interfaces that came with my JTV's are a PITA to use, because the JTV 1/4" output does indeed sound different than the VDI, no matter what anyone says. It is different sounding on both my 59 and my 69S, so any adjustments made with WorkBench with the USB interface did not sound right when the JTV's were plugged into the HD500X via the VDI. ONLY when I could make model edits via the VDI once they got that going in one of the latter FW and HD WB updates was I able to make any meaningful adjustments that sounded as I intended.

My plan is to get the Helix, but will need to keep my HD500X for editing and updating the JTV's, I guess, AND keep my now backup HD500 for any editing of my lowly 300. The HD500X orphaned the first gen Variaxes, and now (at least initially) the Helix is orphaning the first gen Variaxes, the JTV's, and the newly released Variax Standards as far as firmware updates for the guitars and the very customization that is so special about the whole guitar line...

Please put a high priority on correction of this in the early FW revisions. This was a complete surprise, and never mentioned until stevekc asked the question.... Holy Crap. Deflated my enthusiasm for a wonderful new product. Thinking of strategies to deal with it, is all...

Dave

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Is there any update on this?  It appears Workbench has not been updated to interface with Helix (or vice versa).  I don't have the USB interface.  Seems like the Helix should have the interface functionality by now, especially if it was a high priority post 1.0.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

If you listen through the Jack out while editing with the JTV interface, make sure you disable the input pad on the guitar in, or use an FX return set to Inst level. This accounts for most of the sound difference. Unfortunately there is no Pad/Impedance feature on the VDI in (yet).

For me this is the actual issue, and I would rate development of guitar input impedance setting on the VDI in like it is on the jack guitar in much higher in priority.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I don't understand why you can't even update the JTV firmware either .

makes no sense to have to use  Line 6 Updater and Line 6 Monkey and Workbench

and two separate dongles ... not to mention a quarter inch jack plug .

ya gotta love it

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

EEEK! I just found this thread after trying to do some Workbench editing while my Varian and Helix are connected to my computer for some recording. I've voted on IdeaScale. Sure hope this support is added soon.

The Snapshot firmware addition was fantastic, BTW. But please try to stick Workbench support in there next time. Pretty please.

I'm a little green on what may be the difference between workbench and workbench hd. I have a variax 700 that I use workbench through my xt live to configure. I just got the Helix. Is it also planned to add support for 700 models and associated software as well as JTV and workbench hd?

Thank you.

I doubt it but of course that's just my opinion - not official. I base this on the fact that Workbench support was dropped as of the Hd500X; it no longer supports pre-JTV Variaxes with its VDI interface. It only supports JTV/Standard Variax models using Workbench HD.

I would expect the same to continue with Helix. When Helix is updated to act as a VDI interface it will likely only support JTV/Standard Variax models using Workbench HD.

I never really got why the HD500 supported WB & HD WB, but the HD500X didn't. It only supported HD WB after a fairly long wait for a FW update. I still have my HD500X and HD500 for the use of the WB versions with my Variax 300, JTV-59, & 69S... I also carry my 500X as a spare with the Helix, like I took my 500 to backup the 500X on gigs.

I have 2 usb interfaces that I got with my JTV's, and HATE using them. The sound out of the 1/4" is different from the VDI no matter what others say. I tweek the settings of the guitar how I use it. I don't use the 300 out any more, but really don't like that L6 orphans those who have the first generation guitars.

At the very least they should make HD WB and FW updates work for the JTV's and Standards, but should also address the functionality of the first generation Variax's with the Helix. The HD500(X) could tell which was plugged in and deal with it. May not have had the bells and whistles of the second generation, but not the gobbly lollipop I saw when I plugged in my 300 to the VDI of my Helix.

Hopefully they are circling back to support probably their most die hard users that went all the way with their products...

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dave

• Upvote 1

[...]

I have 2 usb interfaces that I got with my JTV's, and HATE using them. [...]

At the very least they should make HD WB and FW updates work for the JTV's and Standards, [...]

Hopefully they are circling back to support probably their most die hard users that went all the way with their products...

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dave

+ 1000