Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Running Wireless Rig w/ Pod HD

EddieVanSilva

Hi guys,

Haven't posted in a while, but I now have a completely new (to me) guitar rig, and my intention with it was keep it kinda simple, relatively light weight, and look clean.

Along with my HD, I'm using a Rocktron velocity amp, a G90 wireless, and a power conditioner all housed in a rack, and I even bought one of those steel mesh rack spacers for the empty space above my amp, which helps give it a nice, clean look. 

Before I set it up this way, I just had the HD and amp sitting on a shelf working the bugs out before trying to gig with it. I had always plugged my guitar into the front input of the HD. Now that everything is nice and tidy in the rack, I found that the only output of the G90 is on the back of the unit.

I vaguely recall this question coming up here before, but how do I use one of the rear inputs of the HD, which would allow me to keep my cord plugged in at all times??? I had ordered the G90 and it came in literally the day of a show I was playing, so I quickly plugged it into the front as usual, got it to make sound, then went to the gig. There, I tried using one of the rear inputs and couldn't get any sound. I didn't play with it for long, and just ended up running my cord from the front of the HD to the rear of the G90.

Since one of my priorities was to keep it clean, it really bothers me having that cord outside of my rack. I know that in the settings, you can set what type of input for the rears. I remember trying a couple different things in the input settings, but at the time I couldn't get anything to work. So I've just been using it the old way for quite a while, without ever really digging into it again.

I'll have a chance to do some tinkering on it tomorrow, so I was hoping someone could shed some light on how to set up the rear input for a guitar. Any help would be appreciated. 

While working out your connection issue, consider this as well: I have my POD HD right next to a wireless receiver (not a G90) and was getting quick dropouts. I had to put a metal plate in between the two to resolve the interference.

While working out your connection issue, consider this as well: I have my POD HD right next to a wireless receiver (not a G90) and was getting quick dropouts. I had to put a metal plate in between the two to resolve the interference.

Interestingly enough, I had a couple dropouts last night at my show. Thankfully it was when I was doing sound check and I was over by the board, but when I got back on stage, it didn't drop out at all. The cheap POS that I used to have sounded terrible, but never dropped out, so for the cost of this, I've got to assume it's something stupid.

I didn't get a chance to play around with this input issue before going to the show, so I did it the old fashoined way, just running a cable from the front of the rack to the back, but that sux.

I know that not everyone is in the same situation as me, so I don't suggest this as a solution for everyone. 

I no longer provide my own IEM's or Wireless units. 

They are either provided by 'the band', or someone else like the promoter or production company. 

There are just way too many variables anymore. Everything interferes with everything else. Nothing is compatible with other stuff. 

Let someone else buy a dozen units so that everything is made to work together. 

Why spend money on a wireless unit, only to find out that you can't use it because the singer's unit is on the same frequency but he needs his to prevent 'lipshock so you can't use yours'. Or your IEM requires a 2hm and the only source available is a 4hm. 

Let the headache belong to someone else. 

Interestingly enough, I had a couple dropouts last night at my show. Thankfully it was when I was doing sound check and I was over by the board, but when I got back on stage, it didn't drop out at all. The cheap POS that I used to have sounded terrible, but never dropped out, so for the cost of this, I've got to assume it's something stupid.

I didn't get a chance to play around with this input issue before going to the show, so I did it the old fashoined way, just running a cable from the front of the rack to the back, but that sux.

It's very difficult to troubleshoot since the signal comes back right away. After trying to replacing cables and such, one day at rehearsal, I just moved my wireless receiver 1.5 feet further from my POD and the dropouts disappeared. That's when I researched wireless interference and learned about the metal plate resolution. A jigsaw with a metal blade can cut through thin metal plates to get the right size. Put some gaff tape around the edges and you're safe!

In my rack, I have my power conditioner between the G90 and the HD. I only did this so that the antennas can be on the very top of the rack. I would think that this would be enough space and material between them to not cause any problems, but who knows. I used to use a vetta head and would just set my old cheap wireless right on top of the amp, and never had any dropouts; I've gotta assume that I should be able to run the G90 in a rack without any problems. I've seen hundreds of guitarists with a wireless in a rack, so maybe just a different frequency would help?

Does anyone have any input as to the rear inputs on the HD?