Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The Bare Facts On The Hd500x

athlon

hi there

I am reading about the new HD500X, and i have a couple of questions

Apparently, it has more powerful DSP than the HD500, exactly how much? 1% more? 99% more? its really quite misleading, exactly how much more powerful is it than previous model? and what "more" can be done because of this.

has anything been done about the delay on switching patches?

"Award winning amp models". What awards did it win? and against what competition? or is this just marketing bumf? does award winning in this case mean "alot of magazines liked it?"

thanks

LOLOL yes, but smart corporations set up industry Events and win top honors, especially if they produce the top of the line products.

It probably has production stats like biggest seller in some category of the Industry as the HD models have been popular choice for quality and price.

I'm still a fan despite the Marketing drivel and yes perhaps some smoke and mirrors. Better than some snake oil dealers out there like in the Audiophile industry. LOLOL maybe the HiFi market sets the hype and BS mark and filters down to the Audio musician.

To answer your first question, the 500x has about 20% more DSP than the 500. Not really a whole lot, but it could make the difference in creating some patches. IMHO, not worth worrying about if you already own the 500. Foot switches are better, but I don't gig and I'm very careful with all my equipment.

Oh, I guess I should have added. If you do not already own the 500, then I would consider buying the 500X. The 500 is now selling anywhere from $50 to $100 cheaper than the 500X, depending on where you shop (I personally researched this) and in some cases, the same. At $50 or the same, I would go with the 500X. At a $100 more, I'd hafta think about it a bit more - but, thats based on my own personal financial situation.

Wow...I paid $500 for my PodHD500 not that long ago, and now they come out with a 500x that is more powerful in terms of DSP power and has higher quality footswitches for the same money??

Perhaps it's just eyewash, but I wish they'd called the thing the PodHD600 so I didn't feel like I just got screwed somehow for buying an inferior flagship product. :angry:

I can only think of two reasons to buy an HD500X over the HD500, or to "upgrade" to the HD500X: (1) if you really need the 20% extra DSP (and it's debatable how much more flexibility in designing patches there is with just 20% more DSP power); and (2) you're one of those people who always get the "latest and greatest".

As far as the better footswitches and the higher contrast display go, I've gigged with my HD500 plenty and have had no issues whatsoever in those areas.

If you don't need that huge 20% extra DSP, save your money for the HD1000... ;)

@vcuomo - there's one more very good reason to get the 500X "over the 500."  The 500 is out of production.  Sweetwater is out of stock; you can expect other retailers to follow soon.  The purpose of the 500X is not so much a new version as an incremental replacement.