Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume control of patches on HD500X

GFuterfas

Hi, I just got an HD500X and am still trying to figure it out.

I've been able to create a few patches and work with the HD500X Edit software, although I find the pedal controls and display a bit hard to understand.  At this point, I'm having difficulty maintaining even volume on my patches.  

Some patches on the HD500X are very quiet.  Also, I've been downloading some patches from the CustomTone section, and some play just fine while others are super quiet.  I can't figure out how to get more volume out of them.  It's like they're trapped inside of a thick-walled box and even if I raise the channel volume on the amp simulator, it doesn't get near as loud as my other patches.  

Is there another volume control I don't know about?  I've tried toggling on and off some of the FX to see if they're affecting volume but it doesn't seem to fix the loudness.

My Master Volume control is turned all the way up (this was suggested in the paper instructions included with the unit).  I try turning up the Channel volume on the amp, but it doesn't help.  

I'm in my living room, so I don't need tons of volume, but these are really quiet.

Thanks for your help,

-Graham 

My rig:  

Les Paul Axcess\Alex Lifeson guitar

POD HD 500X

VOX AC15 (using Normal input)

HD500X Edit on Mac Laptop

Patches found on Customtone are user created. There is absolutely no quality control on it. There is also no standard set of settings - like using a Variax or Guitar on an amp or direct. 

As to the volume of your patches ---- 

Different amp models provide different volume levels. 

There is a volume pedal. 

There is a mixer. 

The Guitar In-Z (on EDIT) will affect volume. 

FX Loop. 

Lots of things. 

FYI --- 

I do not turn my master volume all the way up. 

I plug in an mp3 player because the master volume does not control its volume. Then I try to match the guitar volume to what is playing. 

I always use the same song and same patch. I think it helps in patch creation too. To always have that one baseline volume. 

+1 on pianoguy's general advice (using an external player as reference is a great idea I have not thought of yet)!

I recommend you start by measuring your signal level going out of USB using recording software or some signal level meter (e.g., a trial version of Spectre).

Start with an  empty tone/patch

Set input 1 to guitar, input 2 to Variax (an input you do not use)

Set your guitar controls to full volume, full tone, loudest pickup combination

Move all your empty effects slots (gray blocks) and the Amp block into path A and move mixer to the end

Set mixer path A to Center 0db gain and path B to mute (mute does not really matter because there is no sigbnal from input 2, but it documents the intent)

Set amp model bypass volume to 100%

Set Master Volume to about 11 o'clock for bedroom level (has no impact on USB level and is just for monitoring)

Connect USB and make sure all software and driver gain adjustment controls are a 0dB

Play your guitar as loud / hard as you might do in practice (playing real music ;-) and watch the Peak meter (hopefully latching max values).

I believe you should not exceed -12dBFS peak level for this test (maybe a few dB if you plan to primarily play high gain tones).

What to do if you are higher:

• Lower your guitar volume dial and mark it so you can find the spot later, or
  • Lower your guitar pickups

What if you are lower (more likely):

• Add a tone neutral effect like Studio EQ (overkill, but does not require setting changes) right after path A/B split before the Amp model block and raise gain

Once you have an optimally strong guitar signal play with the amp models and add effects. Your output signal should not get any louder than the signal produced in your test setup. For example, I'd expect the following 2 Blackface Vibrato model tones should be about at the same volume level as your test tone w/o an amp:

• Drive 15%, all tone stack dials 50%, Channel Volume 100%
  • Drive 100%, all tone stack dials 50%, Channle Volume 50-55%

I think this should get you the general idea . I don't recall the exact Channel Volume for the 100% Drive case, but you probably don't want that 'tone' or at least the tone stack setting anyway. Hopefully I did not confuse you or failed to recall a crucial step from memory.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

PS: For lower Drive values you may need to boost the signal after the amp model because 100% Channel Volume may not be enough to get back to your nominal output level. That said, for anything with a bit of dirt in it you will never want 100% Channel Volume to stay away from distortion and soft or hard clipping introduced by the amp models themselves or effects after the amp. Master Volume has no effect on tone from a signal point of view. Your hearing will tell you differently though when volume is drastically changing.

FYI --- 

I do not turn my master volume all the way up. 

I plug in an mp3 player because the master volume does not control its volume. Then I try to match the guitar volume to what is playing. 

I always use the same song and same patch. I think it helps in patch creation too. To always have that one baseline volume. 

This is great advice. PG you posted this before and this is now how I set levels on my patches.

...  I'd expect the following 2 Blackface Vibrato model tones should be about at the same volume level as your test tone w/o an amp:

• Drive 15%, all tone stack dials 50%, Channel Volume 100%
  • Drive 100%, all tone stack dials 50%, Channle Volume 50-55%

Forgot to mention that I probably had Cab resonance set to 0.

+1 on pianoguy's general advice (using an external player as reference is a great idea I have not thought of yet)!

This is great advice. PG you posted this before and this is now how I set levels on my patches.

I am not saying it is the best way, I am saying that it is MY way. It works for me. 

But, I understand why they say to turn it up all the way. Maximum volume has been the suggested usage for decades for numerous devices. It helps to reduce the noise/sound ratio.

For example: 

Your [physical] amp, if you turned it up to 10 would make a hum/hiss (even with nothing plugged in). If you had your guitar (or Pod) volume at 1, it may be the decibel level that you need it to be at, but you would have all of that amp noise. 

SO, you turn your [physical] amp down to 1 to minimize the noise, but then you turn your guitar (or Pod) up to 10. Same decibel level but the noise is reduced.

BUT, you also have to worry about redlining. If you run too much input volume, it will distort. That is why I choose to volume match. I know that my player puts out an acceptable level.

And, as I said, it provides a baseline volume for me to use.  

• 1 year later...

I am not saying it is the best way, I am saying that it is MY way. It works for me. 

But, I understand why they say to turn it up all the way. Maximum volume has been the suggested usage for decades for numerous devices. It helps to reduce the noise/sound ratio.

For example: 

Your [physical] amp, if you turned it up to 10 would make a hum/hiss (even with nothing plugged in). If you had your guitar (or Pod) volume at 1, it may be the decibel level that you need it to be at, but you would have all of that amp noise. 

SO, you turn your [physical] amp down to 1 to minimize the noise, but then you turn your guitar (or Pod) up to 10. Same decibel level but the noise is reduced.

BUT, you also have to worry about redlining. If you run too much input volume, it will distort. That is why I choose to volume match. I know that my player puts out an acceptable level.

And, as I said, it provides a baseline volume for me to use.  

But how do you know what volume level to put your MP3 player at? There is a variable volume on it I assume?

But how do you know what volume level to put your MP3 player at? There is a variable volume on it I assume?

I've given that same piece of advice so many times (as someone said in the next post) that I don't always type it all out... 

I use headphones on the Pod. Play your mp3. Adjust your mp3 player volume until you have a comfortable volume in your ears. Not too loud, don't kill your ears. Not too soft, be able to hear each and every little thing you need to hear. 

Remember what song/file you used. Remember what number your volume is at. Always use that song. Always use that volume. Always use the same guitar. Always use the same patch.