Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mac/Windows Application for Control

wisinskt

It would certainly be nice (if not required) to have an Edit program for the PC/Mac users.  I'm going from an HD500 to this and it's just difficult to use the tablet all of the time to edit.  Also, since the thing is paired to my tablet all of the time it sucks the battery dry.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

That was one of my first thoughts, it would be much easier when working on creating tones or just setting up songs to do that from a PC/Mac than using the tablet/phone. Especially as the back button on my tablet puts the app in the background, when I bring it to the front again it reloads the tone that was in there losing all my edits (I have done this by accident several times already). I am not sure how hard it would be to port from an App on the phone to a desktop app but that would certainly be a great addition. - I guess it depends how the USB interfaces with the unit or if you need to connect the PC via bluetooth.

• Upvote 1

I agree. A version ported to PC or Mac would be great but since my PC is "old" I don't currently have a use for it. I can see a world of possibilities though. Like starting with personal templates and constructing common banks so that you only have to do minor tweaking once connected. I say that because there have been times at work when I've had down time and could be constructing basic presets and populating banks. Then once home with the FX100 I could tweak the tones. I don't mind constructing a tone from scratch with my guitar around my neck but having to do multiples can be a pain. 

About the table battery. I am using a Kindle Fire Hdx 8.9". Once connected I never lose a connection. The screen stays on constantly "sleep mode is disabled during connection", yet I can spend hours practicing, even using the music library continually and I have never used more than 25% of the battery. And I do mean hours, like 8 to 10 hours at a time. I know that is not common for other tablets, primarily the Samsung Galaxies, and maybe I just happened to get a gem but it is worth checking on. 

Alot of people have been asking for the PC version of the app I can't see them not porting it soon especially with the speed of current PC's. I'm sure the deciding factor will be based on which platforms. With the recent introduction of Windows 10 and lack of support for XP, Vista, and Windows 7 they are probably not sure which ones to dedicate the coding time to. What we really need is a PC or Mac capable of efficiently running iOS and Android apps. The main reason would be to keep the portability of the apps while gaining the I/O's of the PC or Mac. I think that is what Microsoft is trying to do with the Surface Pro but since I can't afford one I cannot explore its capabilities. That being said anyone wants to buy me one for Christmas needs to order it now so it will get here by Christmas. " Just saying". :)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So much ado about nothing..

Line6 explains in all their commercials, their website, their ads and in evrey music mag that the AmpliFi has to be controlled with an app.

Better said, you bought the wrong device! How clear do you want to have it????

"Control it with an app" is nearly written all over the Line 6 AmpliFi place! If you wanna control stuff with your computer, get one of their other stuff (Spider Amps, POD series etc.).

• 3 weeks later...

Not now and likely not ever. The whole idea of the AMPLIFi and Firehawk product line is untethered mobility. Hence mobile devices and Bluetooth.

I understand that but a lot of the new tablets are running a Windows OS. Like the Microsoft Surface Pro which would be an outstanding PC/Tablet for this very thing. That is why everyone keeps asking for a port to Win 10. And they just want to be able to edit their presets before taking it on stage.

So much ado about nothing..

Line6 explains in all their commercials, their website, their ads and in evrey music mag that the AmpliFi has to be controlled with an app.

Better said, you bought the wrong device! How clear do you want to have it????

"Control it with an app" is nearly written all over the Line 6 AmpliFi place! If you wanna control stuff with your computer, get one of their other stuff (Spider Amps, POD series etc.).

There must always be some smart guy telling the rest what to think... What is the problem with asking for a new feature? Do you really never expect the products you buy to get any better? And if you really do, why should that work for the rest of us?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if a PC app is not in the works this is basically a paperweight waiting to happen.

As iOS and Android get updates upon updates, what happens when line6 does not support iOS anymore? Either you are stuck with your phone/tablet on older OS and that involves not being able to update other apps and security risks as OS updates also involve security patching.

What then? Either one buys an iPAD or iPhone exclusively to use this equipment, and then the cost goes up significantly or if you use your iOS devices for something else and have to update then goodbye AMPLIFi app.

This does not seem a n inteligent route. It's great to have Android and iOS integration but restrinting the unit to that is basically a shot in the foot.

I'm not worried. ;)

Regardless if Line 6 stops updating the Control mobile app or not, you can find used Android devices at a low cost, and use it as a dedicated controller.  I got a "piece of crap" Android tablet free when I purchased a new computer last year.  It really is crap for everything else (web browsing, reading PDF files, etc.) but works fine with the AMPLIFi Control App.  If I had paid for this tablet, I would have returned it long ago...

Yeah, but factor in Android versions and iOS versions and the factor that not everyone gets a free tablet... :)

I mean, why have the hassle, why subject loyal clients to that? And have the company itself dealing with multiple complaints...

Most people, having a choice to go either tablet/phone and PC probably wouldn't even say a thing. "Oh my tablet's acting up, no problem I just go the PC". But if the tablet is not working and there's no other way... Guess what? Complaints, disatisfaction... Why have it? Just make a small PC/Mac application and everyone's happy. Just my two cents.

• 2 years later...
On 9/4/2015 at 5:45 PM, wisinskt said:

It would certainly be nice (if not required) to have an Edit program for the PC/Mac users.  I'm going from an HD500 to this and it's just difficult to use the tablet all of the time to edit.  Also, since the thing is paired to my tablet all of the time it sucks the battery dry.

I think they are going away from you being able to own your tone and making it a more closed system like Apple...