Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Crackling input due to separate power up of components??

Hey all,

I've owned my StageScape mixer for a couple years now, and am very comfortable using it.

However, every once in a while we get a bad crackling sound (on the kick drum every time with us, on channel 1) that is audible in FOH, and in recorded tracks. It's not the mic cable, and the input trim is set perfectly. It seems like it could be a digital glitch, maybe in the compressor settings that seems to happen at times when we've had to power up the mains (line 6 brand) separately from the board, due to power cabling situations. We are able to clear up the issue by rebooting THE ENTIRE system when we notice it.

Has anybody ever noticed this glitch?

The only way we have been able to be sure it wouldn't happen is to power up all system components simultaneously. Unless we just get lucky when we do it that way...

This is a very bad glitch! It completely ruins otherwise great recordings of gigs or rehearsals. And it freaks me out that it can be audible in FOH, when we are mixing from stage and may not notice it.

Any ideas?

Any firmware notes on the subject?

Thanks,

Brian

You say it's in the recorded tracks, is that the individual channel or the all-together recording? If it's the individual channel, that's before the compressor.  Does it happen in any other channel? If you have phantom power on but don't need it for the mic, try moving the mic to an input where phantom power is off (i keep the top row for non-phantom inputs and bottom row for phantom-required inputs).  Do you have a sample of the recording (cut out a few seconds where you hear it happening).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi eklynx, thanks for replying! Sorry for my delayed response...

The crackling sound is audible on both, the raw channel tracks, and the full mix recording.

Good point about the raw channel track being pre-compressor.

The kick mic is in input #1 and phantom power is off for that top row of inputs, but I will certainly double check that next chance I get.

(Edit: Confirmed, phantom power is/was off on the affected channel)

I noticed once, one other time, that the stereo condenser overheads clipped hard, visibly red-lined, and audibly horrid sounding...after a recent startup running previously working settings..They were in the lower row of inputs, with phantom power obviously turned on.

After checking all settings I ended up rebooting the entire system to solve the problem.

I love the system, so if powering up every component simultaneously is what's necessary, I can do that.

It's just disconcerting to know your main rig could flake out on you.. I'd love to hear if anyone else has seen this, or if there is any tried and true solution to set my paranoid mind at ease. ;)