Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

fizz/hiss

titchyblackcat

Hi, I've a Pod HD bean and am trying to set it up to record straight into the pc

I'm just starting to creat presets that are high up on the distortion level but, when i get a tone that i like it's got a lot of hiss/fizz attached to it.

Which is the quickest/best way to control this ?

I've spent hours tweaking but i can still hear it so i'm not sure if my inexperience is sending me round in circles.

• Upvote 1

Lower the gain and clean up the amp and signal chain.

Also often one can over correct a problem that you may of already handled but subjectively your so in the zone 

it continues to stick out.

One way to really tell if it is still there is change your monitoring. Try good headphones or another set of speakers or amp.

If it still erks  you try changing the output mode to a stack or combo and roll off alot of top end and zero in with the focus.

Or use an EQ even the global one.

Finally, As you can get all too sensitive. Have a break, make a coffee go outside get some quiet time and then have another go.

You will find the fizz covers such a broadband of the spectrum zeroing in on it and attenuating it a little rather than alot helps keep a tone there.

Fizz can also be present when micing an amp and listening in a control room. What sometimes solves it is changing the mic and checking on different monitors if really gone or not.

Same goes on the HD. Try swapping a mic 

but first try --- 

adding a noise gate as the first block in your patch

change input 2 to variax instead of guitar -- both on the pod's control panel and on the patch using edit 

***I missed that this was regarding a Bean.

Edited by pianoguyy

Experiment with the amp's BIAS control. Adjusting either way from the 50% default might help, depending on the amp.

The cab's RES LEVEL control can have an effect also. As with the amp, adjusting either way from the 50% default can help, but it depends on the cab/mic combo.

Hi, I've a Pod HD bean and am trying to set it up to record straight into the pc

I'm just starting to creat presets that are high up on the distortion level but, when i get a tone that i like it's got a lot of hiss/fizz attached to it.

Which is the quickest/best way to control this ?

I've spent hours tweaking but i can still hear it so i'm not sure if my inexperience is sending me round in circles.

Easiest way is to use a Parametric EQ. Turn the Mix up very high and use a narrow Q. Then use the Frequency to find the offending high fizz. Once you find it, turn the Mix down and you will hear the fizz dissapear. Careful though, don't take too much away. Those amps in th real world have lots of "top end tube sizzle". You don't want to kill that too much or it will start to sound muffled in a mix.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Hi.

POD X3 Live - terrible Hissing pb.

Just found the root cause but don't know how to solve it.

My device is connected via USB to the PC.

The device is also connected to external sound card in stereo using 2x 1/4 cables.

In fact there is a loop POD==>USB==>PC==>sound card==>POD.

HISS occurs in that very construct even if POD is not plugged to the transformer power supply !!!

The hiss is EMI induced (electro magnetic interference) from electrical source which ever it is (probably computer)

If I break the loop in any way, EMI induced hiss stops.

for instance,

1. keep  POD==>1/4 cables==>sound card plugged and disconnect USB ========> no more HISS.
  2. Keep PC==>USB==>POD plugged and disconnect 1 of the 2 1/4 cable = 2fold less hiss ; the 2 cables ====>no more HISS.

What I am not sure is whether loop can be broken using solid and shielded 1/4 cables.

Any help appreciated.
DIMEBAG.

I know at least one person here is going to disagree with me.

I use the global EQ to filter out the higher frequencies that a typical guitar speaker doesn't produce. Then XLR to my interface. Works like a charm.

And since you're recording, why not try some external IRs?

Thanks Alex there's so much to these Pods i'm still eq-ing and tweaking wondering if i'll ever play the guitar again.

I think i've become OCD on the tone front

I'll try your suggestions and see what gives.

Yeah, don't forget to make some music periodically, ;).

Over-tweaking will eventually make your tones worse. My yardstick is to play it against a backing track. If I'm trying to tone-match, play along with the original recording. If it's one of my own compositions, I play along with the drum, bass, and (sometimes) keyboard tracks,and judge that way. If you're only listening to the raw, unaccompanied guitar, you won't get an accurate idea of how it will sit in a mix with other instruments...plus a lot of that top-end fizz that sticks out like a turd in a punch bowl with just the solo guitar, simply disappears in the mix anyway, making all the extra EQing a waste of time.

• Upvote 3

Hi.

POD X3 Live - terrible Hissing pb.

Just found the root cause but don't know how to solve it.

My device is connected via USB to the PC.

The device is also connected to external sound card in stereo using 2x 1/4 cables.

In fact there is a loop POD==>USB==>PC==>sound card==>POD.

HISS occurs in that very construct even if POD is not plugged to the transformer power supply !!!

The hiss is EMI induced (electro magnetic interference) from electrical source which ever it is (probably computer)

If I break the loop in any way, EMI induced hiss stops.

for instance,

1. keep  POD==>1/4 cables==>sound card plugged and disconnect USB ========> no more HISS.
  2. Keep PC==>USB==>POD plugged and disconnect 1 of the 2 1/4 cable = 2fold less hiss ; the 2 cables ====>no more HISS.

What I am not sure is whether loop can be broken using solid and shielded 1/4 cables.

Any help appreciated.

DIMEBAG.

USB cables can be problematic and the issue is one unbalanced line often thru a polarity shift in the USB hardware controller.

But first make sure you have selected on the Aux input other than "same" "guitar" and I highly recommend shielding your guitar to minimize picking up from HD, PC, and Amp. Not to mention Fluro lights Light dimmers power on same as Refrigerator, AirCon.

If you can move the guitar and find that one quieter spot, definitely shield it.

• 1 year later...

After 7 years of Struggling with Fizz from AMP Models

This is the Fix - don't use the parametric EQ after the amp, it does not fix the Fizz effectively to leave you with a good sound

Do:

1. Set the amp tone knobs to midway - 50% to start. The presets are many times way extreme

2. Set the Microphone to Condenser - it is flatter and doesn't boost the cap out of 5k and leaves the highs alone. The SM57 sim is the problem. it boosts the crap out if 5k and you cannot eq it out with the onboard tools.

3. Once you do that now it may sound a little dull or even a lot dull/mush - you can use the amp tone knobs to add back some treble and presence. This works.

That is it.

Line 6 has to know this is the problem, I am guessing that they don't want people to know because then people won't upgrade to the HD models or Helix

• Upvote 1

After 7 years of Struggling with Fizz from AMP Models

This is the Fix - don't use the parametric EQ after the amp, it does not fix the Fizz effectively to leave you with a good sound

Do:

1. Set the amp tone knobs to midway - 50% to start. The presets are many times way extreme

2. Set the Microphone to Condenser - it is flatter and doesn't boost the cap out of 5k and leaves the highs alone. The SM57 sim is the problem. it boosts the crap out if 5k and you cannot eq it out with the onboard tools.

3. Once you do that now it may sound a little dull or even a lot dull/mush - you can use the amp tone knobs to add back some treble and presence. This works.

That is it.

Line 6 has to know this is the problem, I am guessing that they don't want people to know because then people won't upgrade to the HD models or Helix

It's great that you finally hit on a solution... but all that means is that this is what works for you, your personal preferences, the guitar(s) you're using, and above all else, whatever speakers you're using to monitor the sound. Presenting it as a universal means of achieving tonal nirvana is overstating things. Nothing is universal with modeling...somebody else might try your formula and loathe the result. It's why Customtone is such a crap-shoot, and useless more often than not. This doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with how you're setting things up...only that what works for you can just as easily be an unlistenable mess for the next guy. It would be delightful if any one group of settings was sonically identical from one player to the next, but it never works that way...too many variables.

• 4 months later...

Experiment with the amp's BIAS control. Adjusting either way from the 50% default might help, depending on the amp.

The cab's RES LEVEL control can have an effect also. As with the amp, adjusting either way from the 50% default can help, but it depends on the cab/mic combo.

Is it possible to adjust the BIAS and RES LEVEL via Edit, or other Line 6 software? My POD XT is dying a slow death.. first the 'SELECT' knob that let's you cycle thru the presets broke (I can only switch presets in Edit) and now the screen is busted.

Is it possible to adjust the BIAS and RES LEVEL via Edit, or other Line 6 software? My POD XT is dying a slow death.. first the 'SELECT' knob that let's you cycle thru the presets broke (I can only switch presets in Edit) and now the screen is busted.

Not sure about the POD XT specifically, but if you meant an HD device, then yes, you could adjust those parameters via HD Edit.

Not sure about the POD XT specifically, but if you meant an HD device, then yes, you could adjust those parameters via HD Edit.

Nah, just the POD XT. Where are they located in HD Edit? Maybe I overlooked it in Line 6 Edit. Although I highly doubt it.. I shredded the thing to pieces looking for that setting.

Nah, just the POD XT. Where are they located in HD Edit? Maybe I overlooked it in Line 6 Edit. Although I highly doubt it.. I shredded the thing to pieces looking for that setting.

On the amps tab, for a non-preamp only amp (or full amp), they are located right below the tone stack parameters.

I found that using overdrive pedal before amp give, for me, the best results, with no post eq. Struggling with pre eq and post eq and double post eq, i've tried the simplest one and tweak it at maximum.

I try never over saturate amp, 30 on drive, and for high gain a screamer before

This way you can darken the sound a bit with screamer tone control, experiment drive and output combination on overdrive this give great combination. And you can use overdrive pedal eq to position your sound, reducing bass a bit for clarity.

On the other hand you can drive an overdrive before amp a lot, without having proportional impact on hiss and fizz ^^

Same for eq on amp try never going to far from noon, using presence for the grittle in sound

in a pa (with low cut on cab at 120hz) or direct in a power amp, this give cool sounds

• 2 weeks later...