Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

School Me On The Jtv/hd500 Combination

So I grabbed a jtv 69 yesterday at my local GC.  Thrilled about the prospects of this combo with my cover band (weddings/corporate events....).  I've only had a few minutes to hook it up and play around, and I need some pointers.  Seems to me that the best way to get the most out of the combination is through the VDI connection.  But I do have some questions:

1.  I read somewhere (I think) that the hd500 tuner doesn't work with the vdi connections?  Or is that just with the modeled sounds?

2.  Is there any reason I would use the VDI connection and the regular 1/4 output at the same time, or is that just overkill?

3.  Can the VDI connection stand up to live use?  It's basically just an ethernet connection going into the guitar.  Not that I'll be jumping around onstage or anything, but is it secure enough for general usage?

4.  I've been using the 4cm with my hd500 and a fender mustang III v2 with great results, does having a variax in that equation change anything?

Thanks all, I'm really excited about the variax, I just wanna get my head around it and make sure I'm getting the most out of the set up.

1. I read somewhere (I think) that the hd500 tuner doesn't work with the vdi connections? Or is that just with the modeled sounds?

Tuner works in both ways: VDI or 1/4 connection.And it works with modelled and mag-sounds.

2. Is there any reason I would use the VDI connection and the regular 1/4 output at the same time, or is that just overkill?

The best advantage of the HD500 is to use the VDI-connection. Start with that. You don't need therefore any battries, because you get power over the VDI-cable.

3. Can the VDI connection stand up to live use? It's basically just an ethernet connection going into the guitar. Not that I'll be jumping around onstage or anything, but is it secure enough for general usage?

The VDI-connection is a reliable link. I gig with it. No problem. Buy a separate VDI-cable. The existing one is only for home usage and download/upload to the PC.

4. I've been using the 4cm with my hd500 and a fender mustang III v2 with great results, does having a variax in that equation change anything?

no change. If it works with the HD500 then it works with the JTV as well. The only thing that can happen, is that the choosen JTV models makes a change of your preset necessary to adapt the volume, the level of distortion, etc.

1. I read somewhere (I think) that the hd500 tuner doesn't work with the vdi connections? Or is that just with the modeled sounds?

Tuner works in both ways: VDI or 1/4 connection.And it works with modelled and mag-sounds.

Tuner works on Input 1 so whatever is assigned to that input is what the tuner sees - with VDI connected you get Variax and Variax Mags as options.

Don't need 1/4 for anything as both Mags and Models are simultaneously available on the HD500 and can be set as Input 1 and Input 2 down the A and B paths for Acoustic and Electric at the same time for example (Expression Pedal to cross fade...)

As wolbai says you MUST get a proper VDI cable - I got my thrown in with the JTV when haggling and haven't used anything else. Its not ethernet though it just uses that style cable and connectors - it actually carries 2 digital audio streams, 2 way MIDI for patch change on JTV controlled by HD500 and Volume and Tone knobs as extra Expression Controls on HD500, plus the other two lines are for powering the JTV

another +1 for getting the proper cable.

I've used the HD500 and JTV89F for a few gigs and it was spot on. Acoustic sounds there at the click of a footswitch and no problems at all.

Recording through the rig is a dream too, changing guitars with a twist of a controller. :)

Thanks so much everyone. I'm pumped.

I didn't really put 2 and 2 together to realize that you could buy a sturdier cable. I was looking at this one that came with it and saying "there's no way I wanna gig with this". Just ordered the cable online.

• 2 weeks later...