Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

About to upgrade my 500X to POD 2.6

lwilliams

I always

1) use HD Edit to save my set lists individually,

2) do the update - choosing to overwrite my presets.

3) reload my set lists one at a time.

I usually start by overwriting the 'effects heavy' set list.

I've left the Variax set list in because there are some pretty good presets in there.

Your hours of work should already be backed up, so at this point of your ownership, if you lose them most of us will sit back and laugh at you. 

Sorry, it's true. Most won't admit to it, but they totally do it. 

Backup all of your patches. Individual patches is a definite. They may need imported individually, but they can be exported in bulk by highlighting them to do a "drag and drop", so it is not like you have go up to file and click "save as" 512 times. 

And then it is up to you based on how you use your machine, as to if you want to save your setlists and the bundle. 

After you install the FW, you should do a global reset. THAT is when you will need to do the pedal calibration. 

You'll probably need to set your control panel as well. 

Personally, for these updates (2.6.2 and the other softwares), I started everything fresh. 

I deleted all of the L6 software (including manual folder tree and registry deletions). I overwrote all patches and settings, so that everything was in a 'factory' state. 

The Variax setlist will be placed where User 1 currently is. There will be two user setlists instead of three. 

Not that it matters, everything is removable. None of the factory patches need to stay there is you don't want them to be. So really, there are 8 user setlists.  

I always back up all setlists (not necessarily individual presets) before updating firmware. Then choose to replace existing presets during the update - that's what gives you any new factory presets (e.g. The Variax setlist in this update). Then perform the global reset including the pedal calibration, and restore any customized global settings. Finally, restore any desired setlists from the saved copies and organize accordingly.

Fortunately I don't find it necessary to delete all previous Line 6 installations and mess with the registry because I don't have enough PC knowledge or experience to trust myself at that level.

It's probably a good idea to get in the habit of backing up your setlist every time you make a change to a patch in that setlist (I personally don't see any need to backup every patch, one by one). There are occasional sync issues when the POD and HD Edit are running. For example, using the expression pedal in this case can cause the POD to crash. I've never had to use my backups because of this, but it's also a simple case of better safe than sorry. And don't forget, backup the backup.

Backup the backup - but keep it on a separate device. Not just two copies on the same harddrive. 

I edited my post to clarify. I deleted all L6 related material (except patches) before the 2.6 installation. Not for every update they put out. Just 2.6 

But that's just me. 

Yes, depending on your usage, saving a setlist may be easier than saving individual patches. 

The reason I save individual patches instead of setlists is because I am involved with multiple projects (which is why a portable/mobile EDIT for file transfer would be so nice). One night I go yee-haw with country, the next night I rock out with my \\ nn // out, and then you find me doing Top 40.  

Everything is always being re-adjusted. One act may do the same set list a couple times in a row, but then the next month it will be something different. Even in that case, saving a setlist seems more of a hassle to me because I still need individual files the next month. 

Thanks for all the input.

First, I do backup the HD500 all the time.  However, I do a bulk backup of the entire unit.  I have not done backups of the individual patches.

Is there a way to install an individual patch from a bulk backup?   I don't think so, but not sure.

So, I should back up my "self created" presets individually (only about 25 of them).  Then update the HD500X overwriting everything.  Recalibrate the global and pedal.   Then install my "self created" presets where I want them.

Would that do it?  

Again, thanks for all the help.

Then update the HD500X overwriting everything.  Recalibrate the global and pedal.   

I just wan to make sure you understand --- 

Installing the firmware and then doing a global reset are two separate things. 

Also, doing a global reset is different than needing to go back and reset your global settings. 

1. Backup your patches. 

2. Install firmware - and any other software updates that are required. 

3. Perform a global reset. 

4. Calibrate pedal. 

5. Confirm that your global settings are programmed how you want them. (I avoided using 'reset' to avoid confusion). 

6. Put your patches back on. 

7. Rock on. 

• Upvote 1

Could someone explain why you should do a global reset after the FW update? Thanks!

Edit 1: Silly me. After a FW update, Line6 says:

"After re-installing the flash memory on a POD HD500/HD Bean/HD Pro, perform a global reset on the unit by holding the LEFT ARROW (<) button as you plug-in the Power adapter.? This will clear all global settings on the POD, reset the SETLIST names to NEW FACTORY SETLIST names, but it will NOT erase USER PRESETS."

So it appears it is only to do those two things in red. Cool.

Edit 2: This never happened to me, knock on wood, but there is another possibility according to Line6:

"If you do not do this, one of the tell-tale symptoms that may surface after a Monkey Flash Memory update is that the HD500 will be stuck in a continuous re-boot/power cycling state (you'll keep seeing the Logo and the unit keeps re-starting itself). Sometimes this may not occur, but a secondary telltale sign that a user has not performed a Global Settings reset is the USB communication between the HD500 and HD500 Edit software will be extremely slow/sluggish."

Ouch, that would not be fun. 

Edited by CipherHost

To calibrate the pedal -- the action of putting in a new FW version or different FW version if you go backwards with them resets all the prior calibrations, etc. Typical sign is folks saying their expression pedal isn't working after a FW flash. If they do a global reset and calibrate their pedal, it's magic -- their pedal works again!!! Wohoo!!

Dave

• Upvote 1