Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod HD500 compared to Firehawk FX - HD Amp Models - Help...!?

vshort73

FYI - I posted this same topic in the Firehawk FX section but thought I might be able to get insight from the POD section users as well...

I am a current owner of a Pod HD500 (not X).  Been quite happy with it but never cared for the amount of tweaking needed and the interface.  After some research I decided to pull the trigger on the new Firehawk FX unit to see if it could replace my Pod HD500 as I love the idea of iOS editing, storing, etc...

From all of the research I did as well as a call to the Line 6 Support Team - it sounded like, in theory, that the Firehawk would be able to identically reproduce any of the HD amps I had configured in the Pod500.  For example, if I had created a patch in the Pod500 with a PhD Motorway amp/cab setup, since the Firehawk has the exact same HD amp model, I could use the same settings/parameters for that amp in the Firehawk and get an identical tone.  

The problem is that after A/B'ing between the two pedals of a couple "identical" amp patches it became very apparent that they were not the same sounding at all.  I did this last night with headphones and then again this AM through my PA at a decent volume.  The headphone test was MUCH more revealing but I still was able to tell a difference in the PA test.  

My findings were that the Firehawk patches were VERY flat sounding (for lack of a better description).  Like no real dynamics (even ensuring that any compressors were off).  Since these are digital sources and supposedly are using the same "software" I was really surprised.  And I am not a "tone-a-phile" by any means, it was just really obvious.  When not directly comparing, the Firehawk sounded pretty good but then when I'd go back over to the Pod500 it was really, really, obvious.  The Pod500 had much more depth and feel to it's sound.

I am posting this here to see if anyone has had a similar experience or if perhaps there are any suggestions or tips that I am missing when configuring the Firehawk.  I really love the ease and interface of the Firehawk and don't need all of the extra features that the Pod500 has over the Firehawk, but if I cannot get the exact same sound from an indexical amp patch setup it may be a deal breaker.  

Thoughts/suggestions...???

Well, I can't speak about the FH because I never used one. 

But I can theorize with you. 

1. There are settings in the HD that can make the same patch sound different (which is one reason why patches on Customtone gets a bad rap).

2. If the FH and HD were the same, there would be no reason to buy an HD since the FH has the added bonus of mobile connectivity. 

I've always been under the impression that the HD was the flagship device. And the other devices were a 'give and take' situation. They take features away and give some features, like the internet. 

Musicians who need the best sounding gear with the most complete options for both stage and studio, they went HD. Amplifi and Firehawk were for those who didn't need it all. --- or so I've been told. 

I own both HD500X and Firehawk FX

There are arguments to own  both 

But its clear the Firehawk FX is just an AMPLIFI FX100 with a bit more switches and Variax VDI input, and frankly seems rushed out the door  - too many "gotcha's" for pro use at live gigs.  

At this hour the Firehawk FX  has a few crippling "features" 

* VDI connection to Tyler Variax - but No compatibility with Variax Workbench HD - not even being planned 

* No MIDI control over USB -  - not even being planned 

* No PC /Mac Editor - not even being planned 

* Broken USB Audio ASIO Driver that is really a joke. you are stuck with 24 bit at 48kHz - no option to change this 

* Massive "Chirp" noise anomalies during most patch changes while playing guitar 

* No compatibility with Line-6 Monkey - Not even being planned 

Which is a bummer, because in general I prefer the sound of the Firehawk FX over the HD500X - and this is after I updated my HD500X with this year's FW 2.6 and added the  three Model Pack upgrades. 

http://store.line6.com/hd-fully-loaded-bundle.html

Why did I buy the Firehawk FX?

* On a brightly lit stage, I cant read the HD500X's poor contrast LCD - (zero improvement over the HD500) 

* I detest the HD500X's arcane LCD Edit  / tweaking patches mid song at the gig - I need to adjust my reverb depth , or Tremolo speed / Depth  mid song and  Without a laptop running HD Edit  - its a sluggish and blind task.   

* because i did not know the Helix would be arriving so soon 

Thanks for the replies!

Well, I can't speak about the FH because I never used one. 

But I can theorize with you. 

1. There are settings in the HD that can make the same patch sound different (which is one reason why patches on Customtone gets a bad rap).

2. If the FH and HD were the same, there would be no reason to buy an HD since the FH has the added bonus of mobile connectivity. 

I've always been under the impression that the HD was the flagship device. And the other devices were a 'give and take' situation. They take features away and give some features, like the internet. 

Musicians who need the best sounding gear with the most complete options for both stage and studio, they went HD. Amplifi and Firehawk were for those who didn't need it all. --- or so I've been told. 

The thing is that I have read and been told by L6 reps that the quality of the amp models should be the exact same.  There are other features that set the two pedals apart and make the Pod HD500(x) a more robust pedal.

I own both HD500X and Firehawk FX

There are arguments to own  both 

But its clear the Firehawk FX is just an AMPLIFI FX100 with a bit more switches and Variax VDI input, and frankly seems rushed out the door  - too many "gotcha's" for pro use at live gigs.  

At this hour the Firehawk FX  has a few crippling "features" 

* VDI connection to Tyler Variax - but No compatibility with Variax Workbench HD - not even being planned 

* No MIDI control over USB -  - not even being planned 

* No PC /Mac Editor - not even being planned 

* Broken USB Audio ASIO Driver that is really a joke. you are stuck with 24 bit at 48kHz - no option to change this 

* Massive "Chirp" noise anomalies during most patch changes while playing guitar 

* No compatibility with Line-6 Monkey - Not even being planned 

Which is a bummer, because in general I prefer the sound of the Firehawk FX over the HD500X - and this is after I updated my HD500X with this year's FW 2.6 and added the  three Model Pack upgrades. 

http://store.line6.com/hd-fully-loaded-bundle.html

Why did I buy the Firehawk FX?

* On a brightly lit stage, I cant read the HD500X's poor contrast LCD - (zero improvement over the HD500) 

* I detest the HD500X's arcane LCD Edit  / tweaking patches mid song at the gig - I need to adjust my reverb depth , or Tremolo speed / Depth  mid song and  Without a laptop running HD Edit  - its a sluggish and blind task.   

* because i did not know the Helix would be arriving so soon 

Thanks for the info.  None of the crippling issues you mentioned would affect me.  That said, have you been able to notice any discernible audio quality differences from the same amp types between the two pedals? 

I prefer the sound and  "feel" of the Firehawk FX - it responds better to my Alt Rock style. If I played Metal I might have a different opinion
To be honest I've ordered a Peavey Vypyr Pro 100 / Sanpera Pro and looking forward to using it with my custom Antares ATG guitar

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13562.0

- My  Firehawk FX ownership experience has been a bit horrid - I need tools not toys, I'm "twice shy" for any future Line-6 purchase.

Read all my posts here:

http://line6.com/support/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=user_activity&mid=82812