Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New strings

XL110 by D'Addario are the factory strings 10-46 gauge.

If you decide to change string gauges, by sure you get the

set-up adjusted for the change in string tension.

Those coated type of strings may leave coating behind in

the works over time. Hasn't been a problem that much,... yet.

Mostly, it's what feels good to the touch, the tone, how bendy

it is for those who do bends.

me say nickel is best is this true.

What is the best beer in the world? Or Scotch, frozen sausage, or orange juice? There's no way to answer these questions. There are many brands and gauges of strings to choose from, and it's 100% personal preference. Any electric set will work, just depends on what you're comfortable with.

The ONLY constant for everybody (which has already been said) is that if you switch to a different gauge, you need a set-up to adjust for the change in string tension.

Those coated type of strings may leave coating behind in

the works over time. Hasn't been a problem that much,... yet.

Over time? If we're measuring in geologic epochs, perhaps. Those coatings are 2 or 3 microns thick. You'd need 612 lifetimes of string changes just to accumulate enough residue to be visible to the naked eye...Dust floating around the average room will accumulate a visible layer of crap after a day or two, and is more of an obstacle than coated string detritus will ever be.

• Upvote 1

there ust be a set of strings that are better then the other especially with the pezio pick , what strings are you useing

Sorry, but the idea that one brand of strings "must" be better than another is just plain silly. What feels and sounds "better" to me might not work for you. It's entirely subjective. Try a couple of different brands, and use what you like.

And for what it's worth, I've used just about every brand of string out there at one time or another, and with the exception of Elixirs, which feel very different to me due to the coating (and definitely last longer), the rest of them are pretty much interchangeable as far as I'm concerned. I've never picked up a guitar and said, "These must be Ernie Ball's". Imho, gauge matters...brand? Who cares...

• Upvote 2

Sorry, but the idea that one brand of strings "must" be better than another is just plain silly. What feels and sounds "better" to me might not work for you. It's entirely subjective. Try a couple of different brands, and use what you like.

And for what it's worth, I've used just about every brand of string out there at one time or another, and with the exception of Elixirs, which feel very different to me due to the coating (and definitely last longer), the rest of them are pretty much interchangeable as far as I'm concerned. I've never picked up a guitar and said, "These must be Ernie Ball's". Imho, gauge matters...brand? Who cares...

I can actually agree with this. The sound is subjective.

One thing I would consider though, is how long they last. 

Example: Ernie Balls rust to dark brownin 2-3 days for me, DDarios last longer, and Elixirs last until they break.

There's variables to consider both between sound preference and what you're looking for.out of strings.

well as i could not get a answer to my question i did more resherch and have come to the conclusion

DR zebra electric acoustic strings would be the strings would be the ones to use

combination of bronze and steel

And to say there is not any difference in strings is like saying there is no difference in tires sure they all work but far form the same

well as i could not get a answer to my question i did more resherch and have come to the conclusion

DR zebra electric acoustic strings would be the strings would be the ones to use

combination of bronze and steel

And to say there is not any difference in strings is like saying there is no difference in tires sure they all work but far form the same

Congratulations, I'm sure your research was exhaustive. And you're right...racing slicks and all-season radials are indeed different. So are a #10 surgical scalpel and a Swiss Army Knife. But Dean Markley's 10-46 round wound nickel strings, and Ernie Ball's 10-46 round wound nickel strings are for all practical purposes, the same thing...I don't care what the advertising blurbs claim about their legendary uber-hexanifty Kryptonite cores, and proprietary winding processes. And I don't care how good your ears are, you'll never stand in front of 2 guitarists on a stage and be able to say "the guy on the right is playing D'Adarrios, and the other dude has GHS Boomers".

There is not now, nor will there ever be a universal, objective truth here...only opinions, and personal preference. Discussions about the "best" strings, pickups, cables, fretwire, picks, etc. are meaningless. If something works for you, wonderful...doesn't mean the rest of the guitar playing world will agree. And nobody is "right".

And not to put too fine a point on it, but the idea that it's possible to arrive at any meaningful conclusion about what will suit you, merely by soliciting someone else's opinions on the matter, is utterly ridiculous. Until you actually try these magical strings you've discovered, you're just regurgitating something you read.

May The Tone be with you...