Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Will a BOSS FV-500-H work with HELIX EXP JACKS

simonp54

Yes, these have a Dedicated Expression Control jack with EV-5 compatible 10K linear pot -use a TRS Stereo cable to Helix Expression Pedal Input

http://www.bossus.com/products/fv-500h_500l/

Both FV-500L / FV-500H models also provide an Expression output for use with expression-compatible amps, effects, and even synthesizers.

http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/FV-500H_OM.pdf

• Upvote 1

Yes, these have a Deficated Expression Control jack with EV-5 compatible 10K linear pot -use a TRS Stereo cable to Helix Expression Pedal Input

Best LOL moment of the day so far. Thanks! :lol:

I was under the impression that the expression pedal inputs on Helix are TS? But a TRS cable would work, just that the ring part isn't physically used?

I was under the impression that the expression pedal inputs on Helix are TS? But a TRS cable would work, just that the ring part isn't physically used?

This is what the external Expression Pedal TRS Jack expects with Roland/ Boss / Peavey gear:

1410890697_2076475294_EV5_diy.jpg

L6 EX-1 Does seem to use just a 1/4"TS Connection

I've always just used the Roland EV-5 with TRS connection,

So it appears a 10k linear Pot with Wiper feeding the Tip of a TS plug will work all Line 6 Gear.

I can't think of any gear that uses a TS connection for Expression Pedal Input

This is what the external Expression Pedal TRS Jack expects with Line-6 / Roland/ Boss / Peavey/ Alesis gear:

This seems like a good comprehensive answer, but where has this been checked against the product?  or rather, where is the specification of the EXP jacks for HELIX defined?  or is it in the manual we haven't seen yet... if others have had sight of this then thats fine for me...

where is the specification of the EXP jacks for HELIX defined?

http://line6.com/support/topic/14264-helix-faq/?do=findComment&comment=102831

http://line6.com/support/topic/14523-footswitch-modes-configuration/?hl=ev-5&do=findComment&comment=106969

http://missionengineering.com/?product=ep-1

will the Mission Engineer pedals for L6 work with it? Or will it use new ones?

Yes, Mission's Line 6 pedals will work.

Exp output : 1/4″, 10K Linear, TRS tip to wiper

Or is it in the manual we haven't seen yet.

Stand in line with the rest of us - I expect a 1st read of Helix Manual while passing out Trick or treats.

http://line6.com/support/topic/14264-helix-faq/?do=findComment&comment=102831

http://line6.com/support/topic/14523-footswitch-modes-configuration/?hl=ev-5&do=findComment&comment=106969

Exp output : 1/4″, 10K Linear, TRS tip to wiper

Stand in line with the rest of us - I expect a 1st read of Helix Manual while passing out Trick or treats.

The second link you listed above is the only reference I've ever seen unofficially indicating that Helix's expression pedal outputs are TS.

I played it safe and ordered one of these, EP1-L6. Works great with my HD500X, although the decreased physical sweep range might take a little getting used to as compared to HD's exp pedal. Both links above are not the product specific pedal from Mission Engineering, which lists Helix specifically on it's page, which makes Helix's exp outputs likely TS. Also, the reason I suspect the outputs are only TS is because that's what's on the HD.

The second link you listed above is the only reference I've ever seen unofficially indicating that Helix's expression pedal outputs are TS.

I suspect the outputs are only TS is because that's what's on the HD.

I own XT-Live, HD500 and HD500X , FBV Shortboard MKII and Firehawk FX - all use Boss EV-5 expression pedal with a TRS connection -same as the short throw Mission Engineering EP1-L6 expression pedal ( which is popular with folks who seek "form over function" and want the look of an old vox wah pedal

But what do i know? ( I assumed the Helix VDI port would work with Workbench HD - but thats not happening until future firmware)

So it appears a 10k linear Pot with Wiper feeding the Tip of a TS plug will work all Line 6 Gear.

Maybe Digital Igloo can provide more details on Helix Expression Pedal Options

I've had a (really weak plastic gizmo, btw) L6 EX-1 for more than ten years now, that works and has always worked as expected with a TS cable, connected to both, my XT Live and my HD500, and guess what... it doesn't work with a TRS cable at all.
Intriguing huh?

• 1 year later...

Yes, I use two of them.  You have to have a TRS to TS cable to get it to work though.  There's another thread out there with the specifics on this cable.

I bought a TRS cable and tried clipping one of the lines at one end.  Being lazy, I didn't bother to check it first with my meter... Picked the wrong line :(  Make sure you check the spec.  I haven't botthered to fix it yet, I just partially stick in a TS cable into the FV-500H at the moment.  Works fine.  Eventually I'll ask one of the electrical engineers here at work to fix my cable for me.

• 1 year later...

Regarding the Boss FV-500H pedal, the TRS cable from the Boss EXP jack must be split to TS to work in the EXP2 or EXP3 jacks on the Helix.  Or, a TRS to TRS cable can be used as long as the Boss end is not fully inserted into the EXP jack.  I have no idea why they changed this, as a TRS/TRS cable worked fine after calibrating the FV-500H for the POD HD 500 and 500X.  Is there any way the Helix can calibrate or the parameters can be changed so that either mono TS/TS or TRS/TRS cables can be used in EXP 2 and 3 with a Boss FV-500H?  Thanks.

I also have the Boss FV-500H actually i have 2. I have an issue thou with them and that is that there is a big gap between the start and the start showing on helix and one more gap at the end of it. Is it possible to fix this some how ?

I can't do swellings because of this .. because it hits the 100% really fast. and 0% way before bottom.

i can't imagen that there are 2 with the same issue that i ordered?

And i have the Helix Rack unit with a TRS split to 2 TR cabels so i don't have the issue with 0-100-0 so thats fine and working good.

So the question is if there are some way to get the Helix to really get the full range of the pedal that it should or can you get in any way for it to calibrate by moving up and down of the pedal ?

Thats the only problem i have .. i'm waiting for the Helix Control board as well, but that whant change the possebilitis i guess.

It would bee good to know what steps to take next for it to work better.

If i hade the extra money i would have bought the line6 pedals but all the money whent to rack and control units.

Many Thanks Roberth (Sweden)

7 hours ago, XEQT said:

I also have the Boss FV-500H actually i have 2. I have an issue thou with them and that is that there is a big gap between the start and the start showing on helix and one more gap at the end of it. Is it possible to fix this some how ?

I can't do swellings because of this .. because it hits the 100% really fast. and 0% way before bottom.

i can't imagen that there are 2 with the same issue that i ordered?

And i have the Helix Rack unit with a TRS split to 2 TR cabels so i don't have the issue with 0-100-0 so thats fine and working good.

So the question is if there are some way to get the Helix to really get the full range of the pedal that it should or can you get in any way for it to calibrate by moving up and down of the pedal ?

Thats the only problem i have .. i'm waiting for the Helix Control board as well, but that whant change the possebilitis i guess.

It would bee good to know what steps to take next for it to work better.

If i hade the extra money i would have bought the line6 pedals but all the money whent to rack and control units.

Many Thanks Roberth (Sweden)

I also had this problem.

I really liked that pedal but couldn't fix this issue. Almost half the sweep remains at 0% before it starts to do anything...

Also the sweep was a bit unstable. Had variation. Wasn't a clean linear sweep. Did you noticed this to?

Ended up buying the Dual Expression pedal from Boss and it works great. 

ppoceiro : Yeah i have the same issue with both of them. They get very narrow and i was even recommended them for line6 from Thomann where i bought them.

I migth call and complain on them. 

Edit

I called them on Thomann and then i got the info that they gave me the wrong info it should have been FV-500-L .. *Sigh*

Well i ended up ordering the Dunlop DVP 3 Volume (X) Pedal instead and returned the H model.

So it dosent work good with the H model because of the high impedance. And thats a shame because i have 50 in shoe size and it was so perfect for me.

// Roberth