Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Suggested settings HD500 into L2m electric guitar mode

Just wondering how other users are configuring their presets when using the L2 in electric guitar mode.

I have some presets that are full amp models with cabinets and microphones on that sound great In PA mode and not as good in electric guitar mode.

Wondering if this is because the L2 electric guitar mode simulates a guitar cab and doesn't need the HD500 to do the job of cab & mic simulation.

And I know the usual disclaimer that "there's no wrong way' and 'let your ears be the guide'. But I've found that generally the settings that L6 suggests are the settings that end up sounding the best for me.

Just hoping to hear from users that gig or rehearse with the l2 in that mode on regular basis

I just played with some settings for a few minutes and it looks like you can set the cabinet to no cab, but you can't choose no microphone. -At least with the full amp models.

It still sounds better to me with the L2 in pa/reference mode, though.

As you've mentioned there is no right or wrong here. But the recommended settings, based on the design of the devices, would be to either:

- use the pre amp models and set speaker mode to Electric guitar, or

- use the full amp models and set the speaker mode to PA/Reference.

Just wondering how other users are configuring their presets when using the L2 in electric guitar mode.

I have some presets that are full amp models with cabinets and microphones on that sound great In PA mode and not as good in electric guitar mode.

Wondering if this is because the L2 electric guitar mode simulates a guitar cab and doesn't need the HD500 to do the job of cab & mic simulation.

And I know the usual disclaimer that "there's no wrong way' and 'let your ears be the guide'. But I've found that generally the settings that L6 suggests are the settings that end up sounding the best for me.

Just hoping to hear from users that gig or rehearse with the l2 in that mode on regular basis

I have been making the switch to using my L2, coming from using a DT25. I would guess the key to using the L2 in 'electric guitar' speaker mode, is also setting the HD500 output mode to combo poweramp or stack poweramp, which disables the mic model.

I like using the DT25 still, but at home have been doing more 'studio direct' with the L2 in PA/reference mode, for ease of direct recording. Definitely surprised myself with how the PRE only amp models versions vs the FULL amp models sounded; got tricked up a couple times using my DT25 patches (PRE only) in PA/reference /studio41 direct mode.

Working with the deep edit amp settings helps alot when dialing in L2 patches. Check the master in the deep edit (not the HD500 master, the one in the amp model edit screens). And the "res' and "thump" settings, turn those three settings down some. Not to zero, but not as high as they are by default.

I downloaded Paul Hondmarsh's custom tone patch that he designed for the l2. It uses the full version of the 'lux Mp model. Sounds pretty good with L2 in electric guitar mode. Much louder than my patches!

Unfortunately, custom tone patches don't give you global settings. So I'm not sure if he ran the patch in studio/direct or combo power amp, etc.

So far I'm finding that the full version of amps with output mode set to studio/direct still works best. The other modes sound pretty harsh into the L2.

So far I'm finding that the full version of amps with output mode set to studio/direct still works best. The other modes sound pretty harsh into the L2.

That's to be expected. The other output modes are designed for traditional guitar amps, be it a combo or a head and cabinet, and the comparatively narrow frequency responses that they have. Full amp models and studio/direct mode is what the L2 is expecting to see.

I use p.a. mode with full rather than pre amp models with the pod set to 'studio direct' and I'm really pleased with the results. When I first got my L3 I tried electric guitar mode with pre models and to my ears the tones didn't sound quite as full.