Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Control of Variax

lordalladin

This may be a stupid question, but if you are using the magnetic pickups of the variax and change to a patch on the Helix that calls for say Sitar, does the Helix switch off the magnetic pickups and switch on the modelling voices? Or does the modelling section of the variax have to be active?

There is an ideascale about enhanced functions such as being able to use a Helix Switch to change JTV Patch (really useful for me where I need to change to a completely different model for just 6 notes and then back again - currently just about do it with a custom bank, but I really don't have the time to do the pickup switch), and also to control JTV Volume or Tone via Helix Expression or Switches or even to control Alternate Tunings.

Add your votes here: http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/HD500-Helix-Control-of-Variax-Parameters/728102-23508 

There is an ideascale about enhanced functions such as being able to use a Helix Switch to change JTV Patch (really useful for me where I need to change to a completely different model for just 6 notes and then back again - currently just about do it with a custom bank, but I really don't have the time to do the pickup switch), and also to control JTV Volume or Tone via Helix Expression or Switches or even to control Alternate Tunings.

Add your votes here: http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/HD500-Helix-Control-of-Variax-Parameters/728102-23508

Just for my own morbid curiosity...which six notes? ;)

The other question I have about Helix/Variax is what parameters can the Helix control on the Variax?

Variax model, volume, tone, per-string tuning, and mag/model selection/routing can all be set and recalled per Helix preset.

What's even cooler is how Variax's volume and tone knobs can control dozens of parameters in Helix and even send MIDI CC or CV to external gear. So you could literally control vintage (pre-MIDI) pedals and synths from your guitar.

• Upvote 1

Just for my own morbid curiosity...which six notes? ;)

Well you did ask... :P

It is a short lead line that uses a full bodied woody tone neck pickup from one of the Semi models with the tone rolled down a bit between the verse and chorus which are finger picked arppegio sparkly edge of breakup Strat between pickups sound.  It just doesn't work properly using a strat pickup except perhaps the neck pickup with the the tone knob rolled right back, but that lacks "character" and I can't switch pickups and change the tone knob setting in time (I can barely change the pickup position) and I can't change patches because I need the delay trails behind it.

The notes are simply C D C D G A but only notes 1, 4 and 5 are plucked with 2 and 3 being hammer on and off and I slide into 6. And I did tell a small porkie-pie, because I actually play it twice each time.

The idea of a momentarily switch that switches to a different guitar (and effects) using a toe switch is just a brilliant concept and I want it now!

• Upvote 1

Variax model, volume, tone, per-string tuning, and mag/model selection/routing can all be set and recalled per Helix preset.

What's even cooler is how Variax's volume and tone knobs can control dozens of parameters in Helix and even send MIDI CC or CV to external gear. So you could literally control vintage (pre-MIDI) pedals and synths from your guitar.

No effin way!! I had posted a request for sending midi CC to external devices on ideascale and nobody understood why that would be awesome. Some even voted no. Glad you guys get how cool that is. I can use volume knob on variax to adjust gain on my Axe Fxs? Too cool.

• Upvote 1

Well you did ask... :P

It is a short lead line that uses a full bodied woody tone neck pickup from one of the Semi models with the tone rolled down a bit between the verse and chorus which are finger picked arppegio sparkly edge of breakup Strat between pickups sound.  It just doesn't work properly using a strat pickup except perhaps the neck pickup with the the tone knob rolled right back, but that lacks "character" and I can't switch pickups and change the tone knob setting in time (I can barely change the pickup position) and I can't change patches because I need the delay trails behind it.

The notes are simply C D C D G A but only notes 1, 4 and 5 are plucked with 2 and 3 being hammer on and off and I slide into 6. And I did tell a small porkie-pie, because I actually play it twice each time.

The idea of a momentarily switch that switches to a different guitar (and effects) using a toe switch is just a brilliant concept and I want it now!

I have been asking for that feature for years. That will also allow changing tuning within a preset. Have a slide solo in open G, but rest of song is in standard and just a standard strat? Could be done in theory.

Come to think about it, having 8 variax, 2 POD HD Pros, HD bean, had HD500x but sold to replace with Helix. . .how the hell am i not a beta tester? lol

but sold to replace with Helix. . .how the hell am i not a beta tester? lol

Unfortunately the truth will be that despite LIne 6's best efforts all early adopters will still be beta testers, but they will have paid for the privilege.  It is just that the technology is so complex. 

Unfortunately the truth will be that despite LIne 6's best efforts all early adopters will still be beta testers, but they will have paid for the privilege.  It is just that the technology is so complex. 

Not a problem. I have plenty of other options besides Helix. With Variax I have 8, so who better to try new FW and be able to compare? Test JTV69 vs 59 etc.

If it costs me a bottle of Bourbon so be it . . . lol. .

• 4 months later...

I'm trying to get my JTV69 to control Helix delay mix levels with the tone knob.  I am able to assign the tone knob as the controller on the JTV and I am saving the preset.  Then when I change to another JTV model, the tone knob begins acting like a traditional tone knob and also controls the delay mix. What am I doing wrong?  I want to be able to control delay mix levels with the JTV tone knob using a single Helix patch, and be able to switch between several JTV models....thanks for your help....

I'm trying to get my JTV69 to control Helix delay mix levels with the tone knob. I am able to assign the tone knob as the controller on the JTV and I am saving the preset. Then when I change to another JTV model, the tone knob begins acting like a traditional tone knob and also controls the delay mix. What am I doing wrong? I want to be able to control delay mix levels with the JTV tone knob using a single Helix patch, and be able to switch between several JTV models....thanks for your help....

Turning the model knob on the Variax unlocks the tone and volume knobs on the Variax, so they revert to their normal function. I guess the workaround right now is have a separate preset for each Variax model you're planning using.

Will the tone control assignment on the JTV and helix save in the helix patch, or will I need to assign the tone knob as a controller each time?

If you just re-save the existing patch, your controller assignments will remain. You won't have to reset them in each patch.

Turning the model knob on the Variax unlocks the tone and volume knobs on the Variax, so they revert to their normal function. I guess the workaround right now is have a separate preset for each Variax model you're planning using.

I think it's a bug, here's my ideascale entry to fix it - it drives me nuts as I like to switch pickups during from one solo part to another, but it doesn't seem that it bothers enough people, I only got 7 votes so far :(

..... I like to switch pickups ....

I am not able to test this at the moment but I think you can move the pickup selector switch without affecting the Vol/Tone knob controller assignment. Changing models by turning the Model Select knob removes the controller assignments.

Nope you can't... changing models I would be OK with, the pickup selector resetting the tone/volume control to be tone/volume controls is what sucks.

Preset Variax Lock Control is set to "Tone Knob" - as soon as I change the pickup selector (also happens with the model selector, but that's OK I suppose) the tone "resets" to being a tone control. Same thing with the volume knob.

I'm a JTV89F user, Helix is running the 1.06 firmware.

I think it's a bug, here's my ideascale entry to fix it - it drives me nuts as I like to switch pickups during from one solo part to another, but it doesn't seem that it bothers enough people, I only got 7 votes so far  :(

The way the manual is written, it does sound like it is maybe the intent that the knobs should remain locked when the toggle switch is moved, although, it's not entirely clear. It is clear that turning the model knob unlucks the tone and volume knobs, though. I think it would be a nice feature to at least have the toggle switch available to be moved without unlocking the knobs, though.

Curious. I'm experimenting with this right now using my JTV-59. On my Helix Rack* device the Vol/Tone knob controller assignments are only removed when I change models using the Model Selector knob. Moving the pickup selector switch does not affect the knobs as controllers; they remain locked.

My Variax Settings is Per Preset. The Preset Variax Lock Control is set to Volume+Tone, but I also tested with just the Tone knob. Save the preset. Move to another preset then recall the original preset. When I move the pickup selector switch the only thing that changes is the pickups. Moving the knobs has no effect on Vol/Tone. When I rotate the Model Selector switch the knobs suddenly control Vol/Tone again although the display still says they are locked.

I expect (most of) the above behaviour is as designed. I think there's a small bug in that the Lock Control display should change to read Unlocked (matching the behaviour) when the model selector knob is rotated.

* My rack device is running firmware v 1.02.2. However, the release notes for this version (available in the Downloads section) make no mention of any changes in this behavior so I assume it is the same in the latest Helix floorboard firmware.

Curious. I'm experimenting with this right now using my JTV-59. On my Helix Rack* device the Vol/Tone knob controller assignments are only removed when I change models using the Model Selector knob. Moving the pickup selector switch doers not affect the knobs controllers; they remain locked.

My Variax Settings is Per Preset. The Preset Variax Lock Control is set to Volume+Tone, but I also tested with just the Tone knob. Save the preset. Move to another preset then recall the original preset. When I move the pickup selector switch the only thing that changes is the pickups. Moving the knobs has no effect on Vol/Tone. When I rotate the Model Selector switch the knobs suddenly control Vol/Tone again although the display still says they are locked.

I expect (most of) the above behaviour is as designed. I think there's a small bug in that the Lock Control display should change to read Unlocked (matching the behaviour) when the model selector knob is rotated.

* My rack device is running firmware v 1.02.2. However, the release notes for this version (available in the Downloads section) make no mention of any changes in this behavior so I assume it is the same in the latest Helix floorboard firmware.

Interesting... I haven't tried yet myself.

It is very clear in the manual that the knobs become unlocked when you turn the model knob, so that's definitely not a bug. Perhaps the pickup selector behavior was changed without any fanfare.