Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Reading display while standing

Indianrock2020

I often use a different patch for each song.  My HD500x is set up in the mode where all 8 footswitches can be controlling an effect so to switch patches I click the "bank up" switch, then one of FS 5-8 to select the patch.   I found that adjusting the display to show   1A    1B   etc is actually readable while standing.

Now if I name the patch    "1A_song name"    "1B 2nd song name"  etc and save the setlist, theoretically I could use a text editor like Notepad+ to extract just those portions from the setlist file and print.

So the extracted document would look like

1A Crossroads

!B  Call me the Breeze

etc

Or I could just do a screen shot of the HD edit screen and print.   Or just write it down  :-(

Unfortunately with stage lighting and my eyeglasses, this is going the only way I can switch patches while standing.

Contrast on the unit is adjustable but there isn't a lot otherwise you can do. Personally it's bright enough for most stages I've been on. In the day time outside getting glare across the screen was more  of a problem but I don't play out side shows much.

I also can not read the HD500X LCD on a brightly lit stage 

here is one solution - connect HD500X MIDI Out to MIDI in on this 

http://www.moltenvoltage.com/products/SIMI_Modular_MIDI_Display_Module_by_Molten_Voltage.html

SIMIâ„¢ ("See Me") is a simple-to-use Modular MIDI PedalBoard Display that features 16 Large Bright Red Alphanumeric LEDs.

SIMI_Main_Pic.jpg

I too use a different patch for each song and then arrange them in order so I can just step through my setlists.

I can't read the patch names without bending over a little to read them. Wish they had made a big patch name mode instead of the 1A 1B configuration.

Oh well, I guess that's one more reason to consider the Helix upgrade.....the display is supposed to be easier to read. I just hope it a has jumbo patch name display mode.

• Downvote 1

Yeah, it can be really difficult to read patch names and even LED status on a FBV during daytime outdoor summer gigs. The chrome buttons make it even harder! I read that the Helix was tested outdoors, so I hope that issue is resolved!

I am also half blind... :(

I bought one of these and velcro it to my HD500.

http://www.amazon.com/Ivation-Lighted-Magnifier-Flexible-Helping/dp/B00NUDRI68/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442727427&sr=8-2&keywords=clamp+on+magnifying+glass+with+lights

I didn't get a great picture, but it gives you an idea...display is MUCH easier to read now.post-537810-0-58627000-1442728110_thumb.jpeg ...and the pic is upside down...sigh...lol

Yes I use HDedit almost exclusively.  It is a little fussy about clicking/select a patch to edit.  More than once I've found I adjusted the delay setting only to find the current patch was highlighted, but not really the one selected.

I think the 1A, 1B view setting is going to work for me.  But with a set typically being five or six songs, with the board in the mode where all 8 footswitches can be assigned to effects, it takes a "bank up" click to get the next four available.  I don't really use more than 2 or 3 footswitches for effects, but can't recall at the moment why I chose the current patch selection mode.